Best Practices for Teaching Reading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Jun 7, 2016.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 7, 2016

I work at a school that is departmentalized. Most of my experience is with 1st grade math and science. This school year I was randomly switched to 3rd grade reading and writing. It went fine. However, next year I have been assigned to 2nd grade reading and writing. I'm not completely comfortable with teaching the basics yet, but I know I'll be ready by the upcoming school year. What I really want to know is what is a good sequence to follow when teaching students with the expectation that they don't know anything? I think I should begin with letter sound recognition, but what should come next? Thanks :)

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 7, 2016

First, I would take a look at your district standards and the Common Core standards if your school is using that. That will give you a framework for instruction instead of starting from scratch.

What do other teachers in your district do? Do you have a basal to use or any units of study? I wouldn't reinvent the wheel if there are expectations already in place.

mathmagic likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 7, 2016

I agree with teacherpippi -- find out what strategies/techniques other teachers in the school or district are using and go from there -- if it's something like F&P, there are lots of resources to go with it to help with different stages of learning.
    With my 2nd grade class though, my CT and I started with assessments based on their reading levels -- spelling inventories, sight words, blends and digraphs, etc. If they don't know even the basics, then letter sounds are probably a good place to start, then moving on to blends and digraphs, and incorporating appropriate sight words along the way.

SleekTeach likes this.
  5. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 7, 2016

I used to teach kindergarten and first grade Title 1 reading groups. I agree with what the other teachers said. I would also do a lot of modeled reading (big books) pointing out words and what letters sound like in different patterns, rhyming words, beginning and ending sounds, etc. You and the students can mark them with wikki stix or post its. Have them share the reading and base some writing off of that. Then I would also make sure you have books for guided reading groups- multiple copies of the same title at very low levels. You can teach a lot that way. Also single copies at those low levels are good and you can make up book tubs for the kiddos to practice independent reading.