best places to look for avaliable teaching positions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ashbrown, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ashbrown

ashbrown Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

i am looking for a social studies position in FL. there is a site called teachers-teachers.com that lists teaching positions all over the state of Fl and for the longest time i thought that was the main place to look but i have realized that not ALL of the jobs available are posted. i have tried yahoo hot jobs and careerbuilder.com with not much luck there. i find that specific countys public school sites list all available positions in that county but there are too many counties websites to visit. i was wondering if anyone had any advice on where else i could look for positions... thanks

3. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

I do not know for sure about Florida, but NJ's Dept of Education has their own site for hiring/posting resumes. Try going on Florida's DOE and see if they have something similar.

4. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

5. ashbrown

ashbrown Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

yes thats the teacher-teachers site i look at for jobs but they arent all posted on it....just want to investigate every avenue...thanks though

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

I searched district & individual school websites.

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 26, 2008

You'll have to apply to every district individually before most will interview you and yes they will want transcripts, reference forms everything. Have you applied for your statement of elibility from the department of education? This is a VERY tough time to get a teaching position in Florida. It is not uncommon to get 150-200 applicants for positions now. Most hiring will start during the next couple of weeks. Do you have a plan B if you can't get a position for this year?

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2008

Last year (when I was moving out of state), I filled out literally HUNDREDS of on-line applications and sent out probably over 1000 resumes. It is a lot of work, but in this market, you have to check all the websites. And, most districts will not hire off of teachers-teachers.com. You have to go apply on their website to be considered.

9. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Check the classified sections of all the local papers today. Or at least in cities you'd be interested in.

Our paper has several ads for charter school positions in Palm Beach County area. The website is www.pbpost.com - click on "jobs" and "education"

If you are interested in private schools, go to www.fcis.org for Florida listings or www.nais.org for national listings.

Good luck!

10. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I have been lookng for months for a Social Science position and I can tell you that they are virtually non-existant. I had to get additional certification thru taking the FTCE subject area exams but was able to find a non Social Science position in FL. It is tough and I agree with MATgrad, you should have a plan B just in case.

11. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 27, 2008

so all you do is take the test in that specific area and you are endorsed for that area...no other classes?

12. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I believe that is how it is currently in PA (uscgrad) although, I did hear that they were changing it to require a class be taken.

13. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

In Colorado passing a subject test will make you highly qualified; I think you can get endorsed if you pass the test in Texas.

14. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Yes, in Florida you can take a subject area exam in lieu of classes and you can be certified in a subject. You must take the subject area exam regardless of the classes you have taken. For example, my degree is in History but I had to take the subject area exam in Social Sciences 6-12.

15. ashbrown

ashbrown Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

i do have a plan B...if i cant get a job teaching social studies i am going to try and start subbing or maybe try a teachers aide/assistant position. can you get 4-5 days a week subbing if you make yourself open to all the schools in the county? orange county said they had 700-1500 absences reported everyday. what do you guys think about the alternatives?

16. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

I subbed in a pretty large district once, but not as large as Orange County. There was an automated system and it called me every single day, with a choice of jobs. I made myself available for every grade & every school, so that helped. The pay at the time was $100 / day (pretty decent), so I had the opportunity to make $500 / week on the weeks that school was in session. I also had another part-time evening job, so I usually only subbed 2-3 days a week. It was good experience and decent money.

17. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I would heavily suggest you get certified in some other areas by taking the subject area exam. I will tell you from personal experience that Social Science has been very trying on me in the job search department. As a result I am now certified in ESE and Middle Grades Integrated. Do not depend on subbing for income as subs get less than half what a regular teacher makes (subs get about $10 an hour or $80 a day in Florida). I know I could not afford to leave on a sub's salary. Good luck to you!

18. ashbrown

ashbrown Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

i wouldnt mind getting a health certification for coaching but i am weary of others...i am not really interested in other subjects and to tell you the truth i kind of suck at subjects like math and science...tell me more about the options for middle grades integrated? how hard is that to get? would it be certification for social studies and another subject of your choice?

19. JD2008

JD2008 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I would wonder what kind of class they would make you take. It is really just content knowledge for the add ons. The only subjects you can't do are el ed, special ed, early childhood ed, reading spec. I took two middle school praxis exams and it was just content knowledge. If they are going to make us take classes for add ons it just sounds like to me another way to make you spend even more money... :unsure:

20. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

One problem with Social Science is everyone and their mother wants to do it. Plus qualification for Social Science is available from many majors including History, Economics, Psychology, Geography, etc.

The Middle Grades integrated exam covers Social Science, English/Language Arts, Science and Math. If you pass that exam, you are eligible to teach any one of those subjects in Middle School (grades 5-9). The Exceptional Student Education exam allows you to teach Special Education from grades K-12. I have both of these certifications in addition to Social Science 6-12.

In the very least try to get one more certification. I am not sure health is the way to go to be honest.

21. ashbrown

ashbrown Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

wow i doubt i would be able to pass the integreted exam.... i had lots of problems with math and science in high school and then in college. i think i would be pretty unsatisfied teaching any other subject than social studies because its the only subject in public school i truly understand and can connect with. i was told coaching can give you an edge and you need a health certification for that( also many positions list coaching duties or willingness preferred). i am going to just try and get a job subbing or possibily teachers aide if social studies doesnt work out but my plan was to only do this for a year and then go to grad school full time in 2009. hopefully there will be less congestion and more social studies positions open next year...

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Being able to coach does help! I subbed in a large district while I was in school and could pretty much work every single day of the year. The pay is garbage (about $65 a day) but it is a decent plan B. A word of caution about subbing though: make sure you sub at a lot of different schools and make it well known that you are looking for a full-time position. Also tell the sub office that you are looking for long-term sub positions. You want to make sure that you are seen as more than just a sub.