best places to live part 2 / moving away

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Amanda, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2005

Okay, we had this thread going a while back, but I'm curious what everyone has to say now.

I live in Springfield, Missouri, a nice sized city near lots of lakes, hiking/camping, shopping, etc. The cost of living is hard to beat. The climate isn't too bad - We have 4 seasons, sometimes Spring and Fall aren't as long as I'd like, but it doesn't snow too much in the winter. I wouldn't want to live any further north because the gloomy winter does get to me sometimes. It's a conservative area, not a bad place to raise kids, etc. A lot of people relocate here.

I'm basically happy with all this. In fact, I would recommend this as a great place to relocate to. However, sometimes it's necessary to move away from people. I feel like we need to be physically somewhere else. So, please describe some other places to live - I'm tired of looking at things on the Internet and trying to imagine what it's really like. Also, if you've moved away, please share your thoughts on that, too.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2005

I moved to south Florida 30 years ago when I was barely an adult. Of course, the weather lured me. It is an easier life here in some ways. You never have to worry about winter weather and its effects on driving, getting to work, clothing (I never used to have the whole coat/hat/gloves matching thing). Potty training is easier, too, I later found out. But, all that 'easy' stuff seems to make the kids want the easy way out. Our schools stink. And, though I'm getting closer to it now, living amidst so many retirees used to be depressing.

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2005

I love Texas!! I really love Houston and Austin. I live in Houston but its sooo big! I love the diversity and living in Houston I can get just about anything you would ever need. I personally like the schools. There aren't seasons but hey I don't like cold weather. People here are VERY friendly and the cost of living is low. Its great! The only other place besides houston I will ever consider living (if by choice) is Austin!

5. Amanda

Jul 20, 2005

How funny! I was looking at Houston last night. It IS soooooo big!!! I couldn't believe the real estate prices though. Ours used to be like that 3 years ago when we bought our house - I hadn't realized how much ours went up until we started looking again. Which part of the Houston area is the best? I searched the MLS at har.com and it's just too hard to narrow down. How rural is the area north of Houston in Montgomery county? I found some nice looking areas near the lake, but I don't like to be too far out in the country. I like to be able to get in the car and be at Wal-mart or the grocery store in less than 5 minutes. Right now I'm about 1 minute away from the action, and right on the edge of town.

I also liked that I saw palm trees in some of the yards. That means no cold weather, which is a plus. ;)

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 20, 2005

I live in Southeastern Massachusetts. I've lived here my whole life and can't imagine living anywhere else! I live about 10 mins from the closest beach and can think of about 7 other large public beaches that I can get to within 20 mins. I can't imagine living somewhere that didnt have a coastline! We also have so much history here....the old cobblestones and whaling history of New Bedford, the beautiful old mansions of Newport, RI only 30 mins away. We of course also have four seasons. The winters can be long, but the changing leaves and crisp air of the fall makes it all worth while for me! The cost of living is definitely more here than some other places, but on the flip side the minimum wage is also higher. And hey, with world champion Red Sox and Patriots you can't go wrong! haha

7. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2005

Well I actually live in northwest houston (cypress to be exact) and its great! I am about 30 minutes from downtown houston (with all the cool stuff) but there is a wal-mart, target, grocery store, bed bath beyond, pier one etc all right outside of my neighborhood. I do live near some rural areas though...but houston is still growing. I could never live in the country...I like the big city too much. I almost moved to new york but didn't! There are some great schools in this area but of course I'm bias

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2005

Colorado has been my home for all my life. I am a rural girl who has the heart of a city gal. CO has beautiful blue skies and awesome views. You can have the city life (arts, shopping, food, events, history, etc.) and the recreational life (skiing, hiking, running, you name it). Over the past 15 years it has boomed- building everywhere you can imagine. The cost of living has gone up considerably and it's taken the "appeal" (I think) out of living here. Although houses pop up day after day. I really don't know what people to do afford such lavish lifesyles here (the houses being built are gigantic! Average starting price is $250,000 for a 3 bd/2bth)....They don't teach that's for sure! People live all over in Colorado from the plains to the mountains. Traffic is thick on the interstates, but not crippling (only when it snows and that's because there are many people here that aren't used to driving in adverse weather conditions).

We have beautiful seasons-especially fall! You can take a short drive anywhere and see the colors. Our climate is very dry and fires are a constant worry. ( we lost our house in a forest fire almost 10 years ago). The winters are mild now- used to get quite a bit of snow in the 80's. At the moment, the job market stinks and so it's gotten a little scary. Education spending in CO is low, cuts, cuts, cuts. (Not horrible though)

I think the best thing about CO is there are many choices for anything you can imagine. From jobs to housing to what you want to do in your spare time.

9. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2005

I forgot to answer your question about Montgomery county...thats where i teach! It is really expanding. They are building like crazy. Which part of mont. county? There is lake conroe and they have everything!! The woodlands is right there and it is becoming a mini downtown houston.

10. Amanda

Jul 20, 2005

I love Colorado, too... It's one of my favorite places to visit. I looked there a few months ago but the home prices made me shy away. I'm not sure, but our home prices have shot up really quickly and I think it might be due to people relocating here from places like CA where home prices are even higher. For instance, my brother has had 2 or 3 people from CA move in near him and they paid about $100,000 more than the home was worth. They keep building more and more of the expensive houses, and I wondered the same thing - Who the heck can afford these things?

As for Texas, I've never even been there, but for some reason Houston sounded like a good place to look. I just checked it out last night. I saw The Woodlands and some other developments near Lake Conroe and Montgomery. They all seem to be on golf courses though. I don't like the golf course-y feeling, but the developments are so big, maybe it's not like the golf course communities around here. (The ones around here have a snooty atmosphere.)

11. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

south florida

Amanda,
    I have lived in South Florida for 12 years now and I love it. The weather is great, the people are diverse, it is very relaxed. You can live near the big city, near the ocean or you can live in a small town. And as far as the schools, I have to disagree with upsadaisy. The school I teach at is A-rated and I think it is the greatest! Of course there are some bad schools around, but you will find that in almost any area. The good absolutely outweigh the bad.
    If I had to live anywhere else it would probably be Houston.

12. Amanda

Jul 20, 2005

I have been considering FL, too... We would definitely be having to spend a lot more on a house if we moved there, but I was thinking the climate would make up for it. :)

There are so many places that are great in their own ways. Sometimes I feel like I need to flip a coin.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2005

Well, somehow I deleted my post :eek: so I am trying this again. I know this is too far north for you Amanda, but Wisconsin is a great place to live. I have lived here all my life and have traveled to many places. I believe that for the most part, people from Wi. are the friendliest people anywhere. It isn't such a rushed lifestyle, we have time to chat with our neighbors and always say hi to a stranger! It is a great place to raise a family with excellent schools, universities, and hospitals. It is beautiful and forest, lakes, rivers abound. Lots of quaint little towns and not far from larger metro areas. The winters are long, but you get used to it. The seasons are beautiful and I would miss them if I lived down south. The cost of living is relatively reasonable......I have family in Chicago, Denver, Phoenix, Tampa, and Monterey. The cost of homes in most of those places is ridiculous for what you can pay here. You get a lot more for your money. I think it is funny how we all have our favorite places. It is like teaching, we all find our niche. The US is a great country with so much diversity to offer. There is something for everyone. Good luck in your search :)

14. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 21, 2005

I love it here in Florida. I never thought I would like to live here, but I followed my husband and never plan to go north now. It is hot in the summer but you do get used to it. I never realized before how much I need the sun. I think I have that seasonal disorder thing where you get depressed in the winter. But here in Florida, I never feel that way because there is always sun. You can find cheap houses in certain parts of Florida. My house (three years ago - 3BR, 2bath) cost just $100,000 brand spankin' new. You are never farther than a couple hours drive to a beach if you like. There are lot of cultural activities. You can be near a big city (Orlando, etc) or far out in the country. There are tons of state parks, and recreation galore. And you do still have seasons (sort of). Although it is difficult to teach the little ones about fall (not many trees have leaves that change colors) and winter (no snow, unless you go to places that ship it in or make it from soap). I love it here.

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

I have lived in this area practically my whole life, but I did move more north of Wisconsin while I was in college to Eau Claire, WI (3 1/2 hours north-west of me). If we had to move somewhere in Wisconsin besides here-that would be where we would go. It's a perfect city. It's not too big, but not too small. We always felt safe, even walking in the wierdest of areas. School districts are great and people are just very friendly. It's far enough up north where it's not too far from lakes and camping, but yet it's a city where they have enough shopping and things to do.

The price of living was great. My husband and I only paid $250 a month for our apartment with all utilities included! Ok, yes, it was over a bar, but what else can you expect for a college apartment? It was actually quite and we could NEVER hear the bar noise believe it or not. Friends of ours still live there and they paid just as much for their house as we did ours down here, and their house is twice as big!!!

The only spot in Eau Claire I didn't like was the foot bridge on the UW campus-it was listed as one of the coldest places in the country during the winter months. It was the only way to get across to the performing arts building which I had to go to daily, sometimes twice daily! Yes it's a snowy area in the winter, but I like having all four seasons. By the time one is almost over, you're ready for a change anyways:).

16. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

I agree that Wisconsin is one of the best places to live. I was born and raised there. My husband and I have lived in Maryland for over a year now. We moved here because of his job. We can't wait to move back to Wisconsin. Hopefully we will move back soon. We love everything about Wisconsin: friendly, warm, welcome, great schools, prices are great, etc..
    Good Luck on your search.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 5, 2005

I have to put a plug in for Louisiana. We do have a winter, but pretty mild. (If we, by some freak of nature, get 1 inch of snow - maybe every 10 years- everything stops!) I live in the central part of the state, piney woods, gentle hills, beautiful country. I would avoid the New Orleans area. New Orleans is a fantastic city, but it's dangerous. Lafayette offers city life, but it is still sprawled out enough to be countryish. Of course our coast offers more in the line of fishing, etc rather than beaches. The Lake Charles area is more flat, I have a friend who lives near Lake Charles and she loves it. She is close enough to scoot over to Texas when she wants, but she still has her country living. There are a lot of beautiful areas in Louisiana.

18. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 7, 2005

oK, from the places I have lived, Ill, CA, WA, and Arizona, I really love Washington the best! Arizona is too hot! Some people love it thought, but I love the 4 seasons that WA offers, I lived in Spokane (near the Idaho side) it was so friendly there. You have to be able to drive in snow and sleet and stuff, but the trees are prety, especialy by the river. There is a great park there called River Front park, it has an old wood caracel, small place for kids to play, arcade, ice cream and all the fun family stuff. But the park is really big and is fun for roller blading, biking, and just sitting in the grass. There is even overhead gondolas that go over the river and the falls. On fourth of July they have fire works and music. They have a 3 day food fest in the summer, art days, and 3 on 3 basket ball. Its all near
    shopping, and in the out skirts of the city there are larger lots of land for country living. I miss so much of that city! The school system is good too, last I was there.

19. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I live in southern NH but if I could live anywhere it would be Colorado. I visited there as a teenager and I still remember the beauty of it. Southern Nh is fine too - we have mountains, lakes and the ocean. We have 3 seasons (yes 3, spring is not always willing to be part of our weather).

But Colorado was just majestic.

20. liz

liz Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I have to agree--Colorado is a great place to live!!!

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2005

I have never lived anywhere but Texas! Well unless you count the first three months when I was born and then I lived in a hospital in Germany. I live close to San ANtonio Texas. I like the small school for my kids, although there are some draw backs. We only have two seasons too. Around the second week of January its a little chilly and then we have summer, but I hate cold weather so it's perfect for me. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but Texas. THe cost of living isnt too bad, and the gas prices could be worse. (2.09 a gallon) The only drawback to living where I do is I can't find a eacing postion. Every other year that I have been going to school they have hired tons of new teachers. This year NO positions. Oh well I'm still in Texas and my kids are healthy and my husband is back from Iraq. I really couldn't ask for more. (well I could but I'm not pushing my luck!)

22. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Aug 8, 2005

OK, I'll add a vote for Texas (it IS a BIG state!) I'm in the Panhandle of Texas so we experience a little more of the changing of the season's here. We do get all 4 seasons, however, the winters are very short and snow is rare! You've probably heard the saying, "If you don't like the weather in Texas, hang around for a minute." Well that is true. For the most part, it is very mild and I love it. We don't have the humidity here like in southern Texas (but then they probably don't have the dust storms!) The cost of living here is not bad and I live within 3 blocks of a Walmart! I do have to commute about 30 miles to a larger town to go to doctors, universities, etc. Anyway, you can't beat the sunrise and sunsets (it is flat here) and the people are wonderful. The biggest drawback right now is like txmomteacher2, no jobs for teachers here (unless you have experience!) I'm still looking.

23. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 8, 2005

Okay, what about a smaller hop. I love St. Louis, I live in University City. I have lived in NY and CA (Read Manhattan and SoCAl). I would never want to live anywhere else. The housing is great, so what if the weather stinks. There is NO traffic!!! Everything here is close together. I really like it. Go Missouri!

24. Amanda

Aug 8, 2005

I actually considered that, too. I really like St. Louis. My aunt and uncle lived there before they retired, so I visited there a lot when I was a kid, and I always have enjoyed my visits since then. I like having tons of stuff to do. Even though it's further north, we usually get the same weather patterns... It heads through here on its way to St. Louis. So at least it wouldn't be WORSE. I think it might be too close, though, and I want to GET AWAY. A 3 hour drive is nothing. But maybe that's a good thing. I'm confused. ;)

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2005

Some say that a 3 hour drive it nothing, but I lived 3.5 hours away from home for 3 years, and I only got to see my family maybe even once a month. It was too far for me, but then again, I'm a homebody and need my mommy;). Even when I planned to go home for a weekend and visit, 3.5 hours of driving just took up so much time. It seems close, but when you are constantly having to drive it, you get sick of it and visit less, but then again, it's close enough where if emergencies happen, you're within a decent driving distance compared to having to fly somewhere to get there.

I still vote for Eau Claire, WI. I would love to move there again and get away from Milwaukee!

Oh, I have also been to Tennesse. Haven't lived there, but I did love visiting there and thought it was beautiful.

26. swoosie06

swoosie06 Guest

Jan 28, 2006

I've been living in colorado for a year and don't agree

I don't agree with how colorado is so beautiful and all. I'm coming from New York and have lived in colorado for a year. I've found that coloradians are not very friendly. They really keep to themselves. I personally feel that I am the minority (nothing like the east coast). that is why I am moving out of Colorado. The first winter I was told was unique as it was quite mild...not a lot of snow..to say the least.
    The job market is absolutely horrible. When I first came out from the east coast and arrived in Denver, I actually wanted to go back east. The traffic is pretty bad... You're lucky to find either 'fast food' jobs or 'telemarketing' ones. The gas is a little cheaper than New York. Apartments...well, that's another thing.The turn-over here is a lot and very noisy/loud as you can hear all the fire trucks, ambulances and speeders go by. Where I live (very close to downtown)you can walk to the post office, library. But there are a lot of 'homeless' people walking around(especially if you are waiting at the front door to the library waiting for it to open). They are quite a bunch of homeless men and women, so people watch out!.
    Wherever you park it is metered!!! Nothing is free! This is a very 'regligious community' and plenty of churches in/and around the area(s).I don't see much recreation except if you travel to Vail or other resort ski areas...All there is are mountains...very close by.
    Oh yes.... there are so many 'pawn shops', restaurants and yes, plenty of 'check cashing stores' around to say the least!

27. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2006

Wow. I'm going to root for two different places. Either Georgia, where i've lived 19 of the 20 years i've been on this earth, or Vermont where i lived for 1 year. Either place is great! i live in the north east mountains of georgia. i'm only 30 minutes from gainesville and about 45 minutes from the mall of ga in buford. so i'm close to everything that you could want. it doesn't snow much here and it's always nice and warm in the summer. we have all 4 seasons as well. and it doesn't get as hot as it does in fl or rain every 10 to 15 minutes. in vt and ga there is always great foliage in the fall. in vt you can live near ski resorts and ben and jerrys ice cream factory. oh! and cabot cheese factory too. there are great schools at either places. it's wonderful either place you go!

28. glenn

glenn Rookie

May 6, 2006

You need to keep in mind that parts of AZ have four seasons.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 6, 2006

This thread is old as dirt but... I'll add

I grew up in Southern Maine. When I was 21 I moved to Cape Cod MA for a summer. It was a beautiful place to live but the winters are miserable. At 22 I moved to Long Beach WA. It is a nice place but can get depressing with all the rain. At 25 I moved back to Maine. I love Maine. I like having the four seasons, which I did not have in WA.

30. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 6, 2006

Well I'll add my bit but you are right JaimeMarie it is an old old thread. I have lived in IN, MI, OH, WI, IL and SD. I LOVE Sioux Falls, SD. Friendliest people on earth. Fantastic place to raise a family and the school system was (it has been several years since I lived there) and it probably still is outstanding-have seen nothing like it and that was 2 states ago! We move a lot. You have to love snow though and cold because they have a lot of both. There is a ski place just outside of town, parks everywhere...But all 4 seasons are great...can you tell I miss it!

31. May 22, 2006

florida locations

Where are good housing places to live in Florida?

32. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

May 27, 2006

Well, This thread maybe older than dirt, but I still loved reading everyone's imput. :) I live in SC., upstate area. Weather wise we get the gamit. I love the mountians and the trees (minus pine trees, I HATE those). I like the smaller college towns friendliness. Sometimes it gets abit too claustrophobic, but overall its ok. The county I live in is one of the most unfriendly, unforgiving uptight commuities I've ever seen. IF you aren't born and bred 15 generations here, forget it.
    I spent my teen years here, moved to the next town (loved it) then spent 15 years in FL. NOrthern Florida, to me, stinks. Orlando area, I adored. Everyone is sooo friendly and accepting. I think its because everyone there is so transient. Even in the summer, yeah it got hot, but the ocean breezes and 3pm rain storms cooled and cleaned it up. Loved the ability to garden and grow just about anything there. Here in my part of SC, the clay is so hard and acidic, its very difficult to grow anything but kudzoo, and scrub pine without being a master gardener like my mom.
    I was born in NC, and spent my first 5 years there, liked it... just really hot. Spent 6 years in Tennessee.... loved the scenery, people and the whole area. Wouldn't mind retiring there.
    Traveled to CO... beautiful scenery, but very unfriendly people. SPent time in NM... LOVED the scenery and history, again certian areas, the people were just really unfriendly. Missed the trees, tho.
    Liked VA when I was there, school system seemed to be very good, weather comfortable, housing comparable to SC....
    If I had my druthers, I'd have a part time home in TN: Gatlinburg area,VA-shannondoah valley area,and visit Hunting Island SC, near Beaufort as often as I could before the Island is washed away.
    They are predicting it in about 5 years from now. :(
    Ater having moved 15 times in 25 years, I guess I am just part nomad/gypsy....

33. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

May 27, 2006

I love living in Northern NJ even though it is a bit congested...

The seasons are beautiful. I love the changing of all the seasons. I love the fact that I am only about an hour away from NYC. In the winter. I love going into the city and see the Rockerfeller Center Tree. There is so much to do in the city. I also love the unpredicted snow seasons we have. Sometimes we get very little snow or a blizzard. In the spring, I love watching everything starting new and blooming. In the summer, I go to the NJ shore or up to Rhode Island where my parents are from and see all my relatives. I love the beaches in RI too. In the fall, I love to go apple picking and smell the crisp air and watching the leaves change.

34. jryan

jryan Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

What is the cost of living like in Maine. I live in southwest Missouri and have had about all the humidity I can handle. We are thinking about moving, but the idea is pretty scarry.

35. Amanda

Jun 6, 2006

I can't believe this thread is still alive. :) We aren't moving now. We actually bought some property to build on, so I guess we are stuck. It is a little further down the road from family, but I know it's not far enough. ;) Oh well.

jryan, the cost of living here is hard to beat. When I was thinking about moving, that was the biggest obstacle. Moving to another place requires a downgrade on your house. My husband hates the humidity, too. It doesn't really bother me... That's what air conditioning is for. :)

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2006

My aunt and uncle just moved here from New Mexico. Their daughter came with them to help (she plans on moving within the year.) We were unloading the truck and after a few trips she stopped, mopped herself off, and said she didn't know how to deal with air that seemed thick enough to take a bite out of! :D

37. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jun 7, 2006

Raleigh! I'm moving there as soon as I graduate!

Visitnc.com

TONS of bonuses for teachers too as they need them soooo bad (population is booming!)

Unemployment rate is low, one of the safest big cities (if not THE safest) in the country! 2 hours from the mountains, 2 hours from the ocean :)

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2006

So come back home to Long Island. Close your eyes, click your heels, and repeat after me: "There's no place like home, there's no place like home"!:) :)

39. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 7, 2006

I'm not 100% sure about the cost of living in Maine, but definitely don't move there if you're trying to get away from the humidity. Any coastal area is going to get very humid during the summer.

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 7, 2006

Doesn't even have to coastal. Cost of living is southern Maine is well depends rentals are any where from 900 a month to 2000. If you want look at houses to buy go to www.mainemoves.com
    Don't forget about heating cost in the winter.
    Teaching jobs are hard to find unless you have experience (than I'm not sure you might be able to find a job fairly quickly).

41. jryan

jryan Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

humidity

I think the main (pardon the pun) difference is in the high temperature and high humidity combination. For example, today at my house it is 94 degrees and we have almost 50 % humidity. That increases how hot it feels by 2 degrees. Comparably, the temperature in Rockland, Maine is 54 degrees and the humidity is 94%. There is no heat index information available on Weather Underground. My long winded point is that it is hotter than hot in southwest Missouri. Everyone talks about cutting the humidity with a butter knife.