BEST PLACE TO BUY STUFF!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DawnR, Jun 20, 2016.

1. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

I am making a few posts here, I am loaded down with questions!!!!

Where do you all get your supplies. I AM BROKE! I AM NEW! I HAVE A STUDENT LOAN!!!!! I HAVE A ROOM TO DECORATE!!!! I AM STARTING FROM SCRATCH!

What are your favorite teacher supply stores?
    I have ordered more stuff from amazon in the last month than I have in all of my life!!! I really need to know some bargain places to shop for teacher things.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2016

Wait for back to school sales. Dollar stores have some stuff as well. I know some people have mentioned garage sales as well.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2016

Sometimes making your own or asking for something on here people can lead you to a place or some share. Also check out teachers pay teachers. Don't forget a lot of schools , libraries or school isd may have die cuts you can use.

5. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 20, 2016

Library book sales are great for building up your classroom library.
    Target's dollar spot, dollar tree, and even the 99 cent store have all helped me get what I need for my classroom. (I'm a first year teacher starting from scratch as well!)
    I've used my cricut and plain old computer and printer to make some things myself.
    I have also received supplies and decor from friends, family, and master teachers.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  6. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 20, 2016

Dollar Tree! You can buy in bulk on their website and have it shipped to store if needed! Back to school sales. Congratulations!

otterpop and DawnR like this.
  7. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

thanks. I AM DEFINITELY making a lot of my own things. I have a circuit too, but only a couple cartridges. I may have to crack it out of the cobwebs. It kind of got put away for senior year. :)

Any suggestions on book sets, like classroom book sets for doing novel studies.

8. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 20, 2016

What grade?

9. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

6th ELA

10. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 20, 2016

My kids really liked Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (7th grade). Our librarian ordered copies of Wonder by R.J. Palacio, and I am thinking about studying that novel also. I'm considering studying Stargirl first semester and Wonder second semester and using essential questions.

Outside of class novels, I noticed my kids reading The Percy Jackson series, The Dork Diaries, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Hunger Games, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Divergent, etc. There's more, but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

DawnR likes this.
  11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 21, 2016

The dollar stores are good for containers that you might need for your class library or other supplies.

For decorating, Pinterest, butcher paper from your school, card stock, scissors, flat sheets, a color printer and your Cricut will be all you need. Your room doesn't have to look like those pinned on Pinterest. Just use them for inspiration. Clean, organized, and inviting doesn't have to break the bank. Pick a color scheme that you like even if it's as broad as primary colors and go from there. You'll be tweaking your room organization and procedures more than likely over the next year or two so it's good not to invest too heavily at the beginning anyway.

Go to thrift stores and garage sales to pick up class library books. Once you have access to your room, register on Scholastic and start ordering a bit each month. Once school starts, maybe your students will order which will help you earn more points for free books.

As tempting as it is, don't buy much more on Amazon until you've gotten your room situated. You don't want to spend money on things you may not need.

DawnR likes this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 21, 2016

Scholastic is having book fairs in the very near future with deep discounts, but I like the suggestions to browse garage sales, and sometimes libraries sell off books, since they are replacing them with new copies. I am also a firm believer in Half.com, where you can often get lightly used books for pennies on the dollar. If you can deal with a single vendor on the website, the cost of shipping is much more economical, for what it is worth. Good luck!

DawnR likes this.
  13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 21, 2016

If you know retiring teachers in the area, they won't want to keep any of that stuff and will give it to you if you ask them.

DawnR likes this.
  14. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Thank you all so much for your input. I have to wait to start my scholastic account until I get my school email... which is in the works, but taking a little while. I was told to order 30 of their $1 book each month for a little while, until I get a good stock of room sets. What do you all think?