Best pack-up procedures?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by snickydog, May 10, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 10, 2009

I teach first grade and packing up this year has been a nightmare! Some kids take forever, some kids whiz through it, and generally, I feel like it's total chaos! Our school uses student planners, and even the first graders have to use them. Needless to say, it takes forever at the beginning of the year to write down homework (which is never that much - their weekly homework packet plus a math page). Do you have any suggestions to make pack-up smoother? I've tried doing "Pocket Pals" (kids whose names I draw randomly and if they pack up quietly, they receive a sticker), timing the kids to beat a previous time, packing up earlier in the day and having a brief "free time" that students can go to if they get ready quietly and not take their sweet time (like 5-8 minutes), etc. I need a better plan for next year and maybe even to try in the coming few weeks. Any suggestions?

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 11, 2009

Well, this is what I do in fifth grade...

All of my students get their agendas out about 15 minutes before dismissal. We all write down their homework together using the projector. I choose 1 student each day and use their agenda. That student goes around and stamps each person if their agenda is completely filled out. That way not too many people are at lockers. If everyone can get packed up, we play "quiet ball". The kids throw around a ball to each student quietly. If a ball drops, the person who throws it sits down.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

One year I had my students who took a long time to pack up, so I had them write their homework down before we moved on to the next subject. That way by the end of the day, all I had to do was give their conduct grade for the day. I might go back to that next year. Thanks for jogging my memory about that.

5. janney

janney Cohort

May 11, 2009

Could writing down homework be something that they do when they first get to class in the morning?