Best Materials for Future Classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by missred4190, Aug 10, 2006.

1. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

Hi! I'm wondering what the very top, most important things I should purchase for my future classroom are. What would you suggest I put at the top of my list?

I went through Lakeshore (love that place) and made a list which totaled $1300. My husband said "yeah, right!" I'm also making many things too. My current project is flannel board stories. That only costs me about $3 and 3 hours each. I can't make everything though, as if I have the time anyway.

BTW, I teaching preference is 1st, but there are K positions open too, so that is the level to which I'm geared. Thanks in advance!

3. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I think one of the most important "things" you can have in a classroom is books. I don't care what grade level you teach, you can never have too many books! My husband had me start buying books a year before I started student teaching. I picked my all time favorite books and started from there. I found places that would have sales on books, garage sales, and my favorite place...EBAY. I don't know what I would do without EBAY. I get most of my teaching sources from there including manipulatives. It is by far the cheapest. I think you can get good ideas from teacher stores and then just create your own things. I wish you the best of luck with teaching.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

I agree with books- start building your "read aloud" library of the best books out there. Look at the popular books out there and get them in your collection- get nursery rhymes, books that help teach math concepts, self-esteem, etc. You can't go wrong with that!

Dice, manipulatives of any sort are always handy no matter what grade you teach. Board games like, "Don't Break the Ice" or decks of cards, flashcards, etc. Even a nice stop watch would be a good investment.

I've used stamps in just about every grade level from patterning, rebus sentence building to student rewards on papers.

5. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 3, 2006

A good report card comment book - there will always be students you just can't think of what to say.
    A good book with a variety of forms, parent communications etc.
    It won't matter what level you teach, you always need these.

6. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 3, 2006

A stamp with your name on it. You can order them from many different places and it will save you a lot of time when you bring personal items to school. (Books, puzzles, games, anything you own). Label everything else with the grade and room number that way there will be no questions if you ever change schools or districts.

7. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 4, 2006

Goodwill also has a good selection of books :)

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

I know it's already mentioned but: Books, books, books! I like to do certain series of books as well. My favorite places to get books: flea markets, garage sales, people leaving trashbags full of them on my front doorstep (not kidding), Barns & Noble, and other Discount book stores. I've actually gotten a lot of big books for $5 a piece at those.
    Word of advice: For books you use to teach with-splurge on a new copy and don't let the kids get their hands on it. It's okay to have a second or third copy of any book in your library.

Other things to get (I usually shop the Dollar Tree):
    bins
    stickers
    stamps
    pencils (for prizes)
    accents (DT has stars and apples right now)
    any teacher stuff you see at DT ("Today is.." cards, "Today's weather is..." cards, window clings, ect...)
    dice
    playing cards (I have a set for each pair of children-great to use with math)
    flash cards (alphabet, phonics, math, ect...)
    puzzles (they've got all kinds-floor puzzles, wood puzzles, ect..,)
    Dictionaries (I have about 10 from DT, the rest are Scholastic {$20, but sometimes on sale for $12} and MacMillian {$10})

9. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Sep 6, 2006

Thanks for all of your replies. I have a pretty large library right now, and I run the Scholastic clubs for my daughter's school (and I get to keep the free goodies), and I also belong to a book club. I'm a frequent bargain bin and Goodwill shopper also.

I've been making whatever I can. I found a variety of games, mats, ect that I could make for far less money, so I have been hard at work on those. Things like file folder games are really easy to make too. There is just so much that I want that it is hard to decide what is most important or should be purchased first!

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 6, 2006

Target has LeapPad's on sale for $14.95 right now. They're normally $29.95. Great resource for K-3rd grades.

11. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Sep 7, 2006

check out your local freecycle group for some good free finds. I got lots of shelves and supplies that way.

www.freecycle.org

12. rhassinger

rhassinger Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I used to buy stuff on ebay too, until I found that it was mostly junk that was left over from library book sales, and I was paying huge sums for shipping. So then I started going to the local library book sales and found tons of great stuff in great condition for nearly free. In Chicago it's almost an infinite resource - walk away with two big boxes of books and only spend $25. I only stop buying because that's all I can carry.

I've bought a number of things from Lakeshore as well, but I find that you have to be careful about quality. Some of the things they sell are just cheap Chinese crap. An example is a small scale that is so bad that if you blow on it the scale goes wildly out of alignment. It was completely useless. Fortunately they have no real deadline for returning stuff, although you only get store credt after 30 days.

13. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

If you don't already have a couple, at least 2 magazine stands that you normally see in retail stores. These display stands are really worth finding in thrift stores, going out of business sales, auctions, etc. You can use them for displaying books, magazines, and organizing regular handouts/papers.

Here's a website with some pictures:
    http://www.displays2go.com/magazine_racks.htm
    (Don't ever pay this much for them, you can find them second-hand!)

I personally recommend the free-standing or revolving kind, because many schools don't let you attach things to the wall.

As a parent, I always feel the teachers who have these are more organized, and their classrooms are more organized.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 7, 2006

Buisnesses get rid of them all the time. Ask shops if they have one they're getting rid of. If not, ask them to save the next one they throw away for you. We have DaySpring Cards in our town, and they're always throwing away extra ones that stores send back.