Best Masters degree for Elementary Teachers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewTeacher2015, Mar 9, 2019.

1. NewTeacher2015

NewTeacher2015 Rookie

Mar 9, 2019

I am wanting to get my Masters, however I am unsure what the best route would be for me to take. I am currently a Special Education teacher in an elementary school. I teach Life Skills. I have a dual certificate in Elementary Education as well. My ultimate goal is to work in general education in an elementary school. General education elementary jobs are hard to find in my area. I am wondering what would be the best masters for me to get if this is my ultimate goal. Thank you for reading.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2019

I would go for an M.Ed in either Educational Leadership or Curriculum Design, depending on your interest.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 11, 2019

I got mine is educational technology. It also gave me an endorsement in teaching computers/technology. I think it's good to get one that gives you more options.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2019

I agree. A general education M.Ed. would just mean you could continue to teach. Get something that can open up lots of doors if you decide you want to go that route. When I started my masters I never thought I would want to be a principal. Now it's the best job I ever had!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 11, 2019

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a M.Ed. in Teaching English as a Second Language. It is compatible with all age ranges, fits with SPED for many students, but has a breadth that would allow you to teach PK-12, at least in my state. You may have pull out, push in, or stand alone classes, and you can really make a difference in not only a child's life, but in the outcome for the entire family. You will learn more about teaching reading, phonetics, and making connections between the L1 and L2. Many ELL's are arriving later than ever, and they will need support even as young adults. It is a good fit with literacy at all levels. I have also found that some SPED students have a history of being an ELL, so some of the strategies work well together. I see ESL as a field that is NOT getting smaller, so a real door opener, in the future.

futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 11, 2019

Seconding this, as it will make you a more marketable teacher if you hope to get into gen ed.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 11, 2019

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been a principal for? What degree did you end up getting?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2019

This is my 3rd year as a principal. I have a Masters in education and a certificate in School Administration K-12. The certificate was a continuation of the Masters.

futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 14, 2019

What are the most important things to know as a principal, in your opinion? What skills are a must to have? What is your work schedule like? Do you have to take your work home with you constantly?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2019

These questions might be better posed in another thread, futuremathsprof, so we can keep this thread on its original topic.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 14, 2019

Agreed, sorry! :)