Best Kelly Gallagher book (or similar) for a brand new 6th grade language arts teacher?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Tombubb77, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Tombubb77

Tombubb77 Rookie

Jul 10, 2016

I just found out (super excited!) that I will get to be a 6th grade language arts teacher this coming year. I want to help my kids become great writers and passionate readers. I've always heard Kelly Gallagher has awesome books aimed at developing writers and readers but he also has a TON of books! :( If I had to pick one to read before the year starts which book would y'all recommend? Thanks!

3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 10, 2016

Have you read The Book Whisperer? It isn't by Gallagher but it is very popular and a great resource.

I always like to check out books from the library before I buy, if possible. There are a bunch of Kelly Gallagher available through the library here - not sure if that's the case for you.

Finally, if you go to Stenhouse's website (publisher) and sign up for a free account, you can preview the books he has published with them (not the whole title, though).

I know this is not the same as a personal recommendation, so hopefully someone will chime in with one as well :) Good luck!

4. Tombubb77

Tombubb77 Rookie

Jul 10, 2016

No this is super helpful thank you phillyteacher!!

5. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 10, 2016

I am reading the Book Whisperer now and I love it. And Doralyn Miller is a 6th grade teacher. You should definitely read it. I have not ready any Kelly Gallagher though sorry!

6. Tombubb77

Tombubb77 Rookie

Jul 10, 2016

Thank you!!!! I just realized I have the book whisperer on my bookshelf thank you both!