Best idea you've gotten this year from A to Z?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, May 3, 2008.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

Share the best tip or idea you've gotten this year from the fantastic users at A to Z!

Here's mine: Every time I see a great idea or tip in a post here, I copy and paste it into a Word document titled AtoZ.doc. That way I have all my cool tips in one spot when I get ready to start planning for next year.

:cool:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

Great idea for a thread! And great idea about copying and pasting into a document. I have used post its to write down any ideas I've seen on here and then put into a binder that I have for classroom ideas.

I think the best idea I've seen is the interactive notebooks. I can't wait to get to use them in my classroom next year.

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

May 3, 2008

-A condition of anonymity where I can vent, cry, laugh with others in the education field.

-Many, many ideas that I never thought of

-Further enhancement of projects/lessons then what I'd had

-More explanation on ISNs to help me understand them better before using them next year.

I love this forum and SO glad I found it. Its helped me alot this year.:thanks:

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

ITA! Last year was my first real, official year teaching. Without this place and everyone's wisdom, kindness, ideas, and virtual shoulders, I don't know what I would have done!

:wub:

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 3, 2008

The best ideas I got were the ones I used studying for the Science CSETS. The advice and help I received was invaluable. I have also occasionally vented and have received numerous answers to problems I have encountered. I always take the advice. Anyway:hugs: a big thanks to you all.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 3, 2008

There are tooooo many to mention :)

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 3, 2008

Agreed!:2up:

But, I am currently trying to get back into the teaching jobmarket. This forum has provide a place to update my materials, ideas for seeking a job, feedback about my materials, and support through this roller coaster ride.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 3, 2008

The advice that led to my new job...and the support through my stupid drama

10. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 3, 2008

I have gotten a lot of really great technology ideas from here and advice for my ISNs.

11. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

May 3, 2008

What would I do WITHOUT AtoZ??!! I have received help and encouragement for my CBEST and my CSET (I passed!), I have 4 binders full of info I've gotten from everyone, the wonderful people on here have led me to other interesting and great info, and most importantly gave me the knowledge and confidence that I will be able to pursue this career and succeed in a classroom! I may have chickened out by now if it weren't for all of you.

Okay, though, my favorite tip if I MUST find one? . . . (thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking) . . . I just can't do it.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 3, 2008

Just one thing??? haha

You guys provide me with so much insight into the programs that I use or want to, as well as activity ideas and the understanding that its okay to be disorganized!!

And I love the idea of the AtoZ.doc document...mine will certainly have to go on my jump drive, as I am on 2-3 computers a day! Love u all!!

13. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 3, 2008

Let me see....someone mentioned a website where I could get cheap personalized graphics. (http://www.threedoggraphx.com/)
    I bought stickers for each of our elementary teachers for a back to school happy....

I visited several teacher webpages that were given in posts which lead me to lots of free goodies to print out and lots of ideas to use in my classroom...

I like to read about what's happening in other schools...I like having a place to talk about school-related problems with other teachers who understand! My husband just can't listen to me anymore...his eyes glaze over when I start to talk about school!!!

Thanks everyone!

14. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

May 3, 2008

*My favorite (well one of them, anyway) was a link to this website: www.mspowell.com . It has so many ideas for transition tips and organization - 2 huge weaknesses of mine!

*Also, I loved the beanie baby reading strategy - and my students adore it!

*When I was looking for ways to impjrove reading comprehension in older grades, someone suggested I Read It But I Don't Get It by Cris Tovani - A huge eye opener and EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Oh, there are tons more but these are the ones that affected the most obvious changes in my classroom and students...
    Thanks so much!!! :2up:

15. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

May 3, 2008

Classroom organization/management. I love visiting teacher websites and seeing how they've arranged their rooms or even decorated them. I also like when teacher post websites where they have their own web pages listed or sites to various interesting sites.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 4, 2008

I have loved so many ideas... I store them away and come back to them later. I think it was on this site that I learned about PAW (paragraph a week) and started that last week. It's been great. But there are TOO many to name. I get MOST of my great ideas from here, and also like that I can share mine as well.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 4, 2008

NO way I could pick one!

Talk about ideas! I have folders of files on my computer that are from A to Z. Things I have collected since day one in hopes of getting my own classroom. Every gem I see gets copied and pasted and goes in there.

I know that the Job Seekers thread is fantastic and helped me so much with my coverletter, interview questions, and application questions.

The icing on the cake is all the great people that are on here and all the friends I have made.

LOVE-- LOVE-- LOVE IT!

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 4, 2008

Here are just a few of the most helpful tips I've found here:

1. The PAW program. I love it! I only was able to use it a few weeks, but I have already decided to start this in early September next school year. I just have to motivate to proof their writing consistently and not get lazy.

2. Start a box now with everything I will need for the first two weeks of school. This should help a lot.

3. Thank you to whoever gave me the time plan website. I am looking at it faithfully and trying to figure out just what it would take to teach in the UK-everything from visas to housing to qualifications for teachers. I really want to make this happen. I feel like my dream has been reawakened and is on its way to being reality!

19. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

May 4, 2008

What is PAW?

20. AtoZAdmin

AtoZAdmin Forum Administrator

May 4, 2008

Great idea! Let's keep this one going... :)

21. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 4, 2008

One of the best things I learned was mini portfolios for job fairs!

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 4, 2008

Awesome thread!!! I like the copy-paste idea. Right now, what I do is bookmark the page and then put that page in a folder up in the bookmarks. I organize my folder according to job info, fifth grade, classroom management ideas, etc and just move the bookmarked webpage into that folder.

I also received so many great ideas. Some good ones were:
    how to make an e-portfolio
    how to get an add-on single subject credenial onto my exsititng credential
    how to write cover letters and resumes
    how to handle myself at a job fair
    some good tips for subs that I put onto my sub website
    and I got a great tip for kinder- it had to do with a chair, called the lonely chair. Sort of like a time out chair

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 4, 2008

Could you share the time plan website?

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 5, 2008

Oh I forgot about the Beanie Baby reading strategies. I will be doing that this fall. Also, thank you for that Mrs. Powell page! It is awesome! I am taking the day off from subbing today and will definitely be going through her site. BTW transitions are a problem for me too.

25. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 5, 2008

Tips/Attention Getters
    Whenever I need my middle school students' attention, or they are getting too noisy, I have a gorilla that when you push his paw, it plays a song (20 ...
    www.atozteacherstuff.com/Tips/Attention_Getters/

These are not my ideas. A search found the above information.

Positive Reinforcement Awards
    class rewards. (popcorn, extra 10 minutes at recess, babysit my beanie babies, etc...)

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 5, 2008

27. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 5, 2008

28. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

May 5, 2008

Thanks ,lemonhead - that makes me feel better!!

29. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

May 5, 2008

This is an awesome thread!
    I'm bookmarking and saving ideas to use for planning this summer.
    Thanks!!!!!

30. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 5, 2008

My favorite was:

Me: "Class!"
    Class: "Yes!"
    Me: "Class class CLASSSSS"
    Class: "Yes yes YESSSSS"

I've implemented it, & it works great & makes me smile instead of getting frustrated.

31. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

May 5, 2008

I agree with Calliope. The most powerful and useful thing that I have found are the Power Teaching strategies. They work well and it's fun for me!

But before I found my full-time teaching position, the "Job Seekers" forum was a wealth of information and support in my extremely frustrating & stressful job search!

32. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

May 5, 2008

I agree on the Power Teaching! I am still a student and I had my first sub job last Friday. I had to try the "class" "yes." They loved it!! I can't wait to try all the techniques!

33. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 5, 2008

Power Teaching? Is it a website?

34. smalltowngal

35. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 5, 2008

Thanks!

36. smalltowngal

May 5, 2008

yw

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 6, 2008

I'm bookmarking this thread as well. I'll be studying it over the summer. I think I'll try the class/yes today to get their attention.

38. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

May 6, 2008

I love powerteaching - I just tried it out this last week and have seen a massive improvement! In fact, my previously worst class I now enjoy.

39. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 6, 2008

Oh yes, and Budaka had a great suggestion when I dealt with a new problem on a research paper. From now on I will tell them that no more than 40% of their paper can be quotes. 60% must be their own words. This way I can avoid the four page long quote turned in for a research paper happening ever again (at least in theory).

Oh, and on the Power Teaching -- it looks like moi is starting a movement at my school! I think we're bringing in someone for a seminar for the Freshman Academy at the beginning of next year.

40. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 7, 2008

Great thread! I'll be spending a lot of time re-reading ideas this summer!

41. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 7, 2008

I am loving it all! I am currently the only teacher I know of locally who uses any of the power teaching tools, but I love them, and when other teachers see them in action, they are always impressed, so there is always hope for a movement! Tips from this site? Hmmmm Don't quit school, you ARE a decent teacher, calm down, you WILL find a job (that's my mantra lately), be assertive from day one. There are just too many to mention! Like Lay's potato chips -- I can't type just one!