Best Hot Chocolate

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maithal, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Dec 19, 2015

I bought Silly Cow hot chocolate (Chocolate Truffle flavor) today. Before that I had Ghiradelli brand. I have to use 2.5 spoons of hot chocolate and add sugar to both to make it sweet and chocolatey to my liking.

What brand is milk chocolatey, has no artificial flavor do you recommend? I got one from Target as a gift that's Targehe's brand that I liked but it came in individual packets. I'm looking for hot chocolate mix not in individual packets. Should I have perhaps gotten the chocolate chocolate flavor of Silly Cow brand instead of Chocolate Truffle?

TIA!

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2015

Godiva hot chocolate is really good. I also like Ahlaska.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2015

The Special Dutch Chocolate Powder from The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is good. (The canister does say naturally & artificially flavored.)

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 19, 2015

My best friend heats up chocolate milk. Says it's delicious.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2015

We made crockpot hot chocolate. We did some things different... So good though!!!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 19, 2015

I have a canister of Starbucks hot chocolate. I really like it. I always use milk to make it, not water, even when they say to use water.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2015

We always boil milk for packaged hot chocolate!! Lol!!

ChristyF likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2015

I am also going to say that no matter what it says on the package, never make it with water. I use fat free half and half and think that adds a decadent edge to the hot chocolate. I always get asked what I did "different" and sometimes I share, sometimes I don't. I think it works exceptionally well if you are not going to top off with whipped cream. Let's face it - hot chocolate needs that feel of cream in your mouth to make it taste rich, or at least that is my opinion. The fat free half and half adds that feel without adding all of the calories. If making for a crowd, run it through the food processor and then warm in a crock pot. I am still inclined to top it off with real whipped cream as opposed to marshmellows, and if I am whipping the cream from scratch, don't forget to add vanilla or vanilla bean.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Caesar753 and ChristyF like this.
  10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 19, 2015

William Sonoma makes the best hot chocolate. It's pricey but they run sales.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 20, 2015

Most packaged hot chocolate is too sweet for my taste, though Trader Joe's Sipping Chocolate is pretty good. Years ago, before microwaves, I used to make a mug of hot chocolate by stirring together two or three heaping spoonfuls of good-quality cocoa powder and a spoonful or two of sugar, pouring in a couple ounces of cream and whisking like mad till the cocoa was thoroughly incorporated, then continuing to whisk while filling the mug gradually with boiling water. These days I use whole milk: stir together cocoa powder and sugar in a mug, add enough milk to form a thick paste, heat for no more than 30 seconds in the microwave, then top up the mug with milk and microwave till reasonably warm. Almond extract or Amaretto goes nicely, but so does a sprinkling of ground cardamom.

MrsC likes this.
  12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 20, 2015

I like Starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2015

Oh, I forgot about half and half. I used it the last time I made hot chocolate in the crockpot for my kids. It was amazing, rich, thick, creamy...Yummmer! They loved it!! I'm going to have to pick some up. Thanks for the reminder!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2015

A tutoring client gave me a beautiful set of Williams Sonoma mugs and a tri-pack of Godiva hot chocolate. Haven't tried it yet but I will echo comment above that Trader Joes Sipping Chocolate can be quite yummy.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2015

I agree that you need something creamier than water when you're making hot cocoa. I often do a combo of skim milk and water, and even that is still better than just water, although it's not as good as half-and-half or whole milk.

I love hot cocoa, but I've never found a packaged one that has everything I like in a hot cocoa. I prefer my cocoa to be a little less sweet than usual, so I usually make my own mix and keep it in the cupboard for the season. My favorite recipe uses packaged cocoa mix as a base, and to it you add extra cocoa powder, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Delicious!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 20, 2015

I posted already, but try going to TJMaxx, Marshalls, and/or HomeGoods. In their food aisle, they often have various brands of hot chocolate of quality brands that you may otherwise not see anywhere else.