Best gifts from students/parents

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kpa1b2, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

What are the best gifts you've ever gotten from parents?

1. I had a child who had had surgery just before school started, I remember pushing him around in a wheelchair. Grandma was so thankful that she brought me flowers and a card. She then tracked the principal down & made him come to my room to see the flowers and the card. (where is the card?!?!?)

2. When I was doing day care, a parent gave me $50 for Christmas.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

How adorable.

I think the most memorable gift I've ever received from families would have to be all of the cards I get from them throughout the year. I have a file that I keep at home called "nice notes" and I keep the ones that really move me. When I'm feeling down about teaching or something is particularly troubling me, I pull out that file and read through it and it puts the world in better perspective for me.

5. spedtchr

spedtchr Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

My first year teaching, I taught high school students with moderate intellectual disabilities. At Christmas, one of my students knew that we were giving them a gift. She went home and dug through her room to find me and my assistants a gift. She gave one assistant a barbie doll, one got a set of markers, and I got a plastic Christmas ornament (snowman). It was the cutest thing, it made us cry. I think the most thoughtful gift I've ever received.

6. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I've only ever student taught, but my first semester I ST Kinder. The class gave me a denim bag that had every child's handprint on it, with their name written in the center of the handprint. I love it! I used it all through my final semester in 4th grade.

In 4th grade, I had one student bring me a fresh cut rose one day, just because. On my last day...the kids had each written me a letter. I cried reading them, they were all just so sweet and some were even pretty funny. I know I will always treasure them. :wub:

7. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 9, 2009

Agree. The best gifts are the notes from the kids. Last year for Christmas I had a student make me a card and it was a giant heart and said "I love you" and "thank you"..It was touching. I agree with Tracy, it inspires you to read them when you are having a rough day. It makes you realize how important our jobs really are:)

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

Anything that is personal. It can be a letter, a card, a picture. It can be something that shows that they got to know you a little (like the parents who notice my Starbucks every day and got me a $5 Starbucks card....that meant more to me than the $20 card to the Body Shop).

My whole class pitched in (both am and pm) this year and got me a Pandora bracelet, which I have been wanting forever, and got me a flower charm for it with a card that said, "thanks for helping us bloom." My bff is a parent of a kid in my class, so she knew JUST what i wanted. And it was cheap enough that they asked each kid to send in $2. Not bad.
    Kim

9. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

The notes and pictures from the kids are what I cherish. They really lift your spirits at the end of a hard day.

10. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Like you guys, my favorites are always the handmade things--pictures and cards. So sweet and you know they are from the kids.

I did receive a bra once at Christmas...and my friend who taught 3rd received a pair of boy-cut panties from the same family:) We were pretty sure it was a cultural thing and they were helping us to look good for our men! We got little lipsticks and perfumes from them as well....lol. It was sweet anyway and we knew they were trying to show appreciation!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

I got a bag with handprints on it, too! My mentor teacher had the kids make it for me when I student taught. But the mastermind behind the project used WASHABLE PAINT, so the first time I threw it into the washing machine.... no more handprints. Talk about bummed!!!!

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

HAHAHAHAHA

I had this student once who gave me a sauce pan. After all the treble clef junk I got (as a school music teacher) this one struck me as strange! I brought it down to the teacher's lounge after school to ask (those who had taught this student) about it.

They told me that his father (or was it mother) sells oven-wear so they always give pots or pans. When the teachers saw my sauce pan they said..."Oooooooooo they must LIKE you! Your pan is big. They didn't like Mrs. So-and-So, and hers was the smallest pan that any of us have ever seen."

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

The best gift i ever GAVE-or was in charge of giving, as a room-mom- was a director's chair. The kids each had a section that they were to design and paint. The section was to have their name-and something about them that made them unique. My son was a competitive gymnast who won his first gold medal the year he was in her classroom...so he drew himself with his medal.

I originally saw the idea in Family Fun magazine and KNEW I had to do it. It took a LONG time to get it done (since it involved the canvases traveling to each student's home, their section being penciled out, painted, and dried before passing it on to the next)--and a LOT of planning. Most sections came out BEAUTIFULLY! But a few...you could tell that the kid was told to do it alone in a corner to give mom or dad a break.

The teacher was astonished! She loved that chair for many years to come...and recently has told me that she cried when she fianlly had to admit the chair was no longer safe to sit on. But she still has the canvases packed away in her memory box.

Oh...btw... the year after we made her this chair...similar chairs started popping up in other teachers rooms. (Word gets around, or teachers drop hints)

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

McKenna - how did you make the chair? Buy a pre-made one and remove the canvases for travel? I love this idea!
    Kim

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

A bottle of Merlot hand delivered by a six year old.

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

Yes... the chair was pre-made. The canvas was that creamy white and we removed it for travel. I measured and divided the areas (back of the chair and bottom) so that there were enough for each child plus two. One extra area said... "We love you, Mrs. B****!" and the other section said "From your second grade class of 2009." I had contacted the parents in advance to find out when they COULDN"T do the chair...so that the canvas didn't get stuck on someone's counter for a week or so "until they could GET to it." We ended up only having it slow down with one family (while all the rest BEHIND that child panicked that it wouldn't be done it time!)

The paints were fabrics paints which traveled with the canvas. Instructions were laminated and traveled too. I EMPHASIZED to treat this canvas like GOLD since it was each child's masterpiece for their beloved teacher. There were tiny paint brushes that went along with the kit-but also a box of toothpicks (for intricate drawing).

Ummmm... I think that's it.

17. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 10, 2009

haha that is too funny! Did you open the bra in front of your students? I think i would have turned bright red.

18. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

McKenna, I love your sauce pan story! And Sarge---lol.:) Don't kids (actually, parents!) do the darndest things.

Well, it was thankfully in a large bag and so I kind of pulled it up without it coming out of the bag (and then I realized what it was.) The little girl who gave it to me was the SWEETEST girl and we all just loved her (plus she was 5,) so I didn't want her to suspect anything was amiss, lol. I just hugged her and thanked her lots and wrote a thank you card like usual, and then when the students left (it was a half day for winter break,) I definitely had some laughs with my colleagues--even more when I realized my friend had received panties! We had to have some show and tell in the hallway.;) A funny thing was that the bra was way too small--I was like, haha, should I be offended? It was very funny and sweet at the same time.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

My class made me a scrapbook and quilt last year...I use stories from my garden when I model writing lessons so the kids know how much I love my gardens. They each wrote a short entry ab out how they imagine my garden, illustrated, and included their photo. All of this is in the scrapbook. Then a creative unbelievable mom took the illustrations and transferred them to fabric and made an amzzing garden quilt..It has the kids' illustrations and then other garden themed fabric borders, and a pieced together part that looks like a watering can...I cried when I got it...
    I'm truly thankful to be appreciated by the kids I teach and their families. Whether it's a heartfelt letter, or illustration, or an extravagent gift, I'm thankful.
    I have a colleague this year who was b*tching because she got so many Barnes and Noble gift cards- she said they weren't really 'about her' and she wanted to have a gift card exchange...So sad for her that she would react that way to people's generosity.
    Sorry, Jem, but that is a little funny!!:lol: