Best friend or new job opportunity

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, May 19, 2015.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 19, 2015

I'm wondering how you would make a decision if you were in the following scenario:

You and your best friend are scheduled to be transferred to a new concept school. You and your best friend are being view as the leads for the new program. You think highly of your friend's professionalism and knowledge. Still, there are lots of unknowns concerning the new school particularly what you will be teaching. Some definites are that almost all the staff will be new to the school and new programs will be implemented. The demographics are low social economics and previously the school was low performing.

On the other hand, you've been offered a position with a school that is just 5 miles from your home. The school has a very good report card and you would get about a 3k pay raise.

What would you do?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 19, 2015

Money and a sure thing vs. friendship and the great unknown. I can always make new work friends, so I would follow the money that is close to home, but that is just me.

4. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

May 19, 2015

This is a tough one. What is your gut telling you?

It seems like there are real pros to each option. Is there any difference in the grade/subjects you would be teaching?

Also, are we talking about a "work" best friend, or lifetime best friend?

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 19, 2015

I'd go with the closer school with more pay.

If your best friend does very well at the new school perhaps they can give you a recommendation for the next year!

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 19, 2015

How well do you know the school by your home? Do you know for a fact that it's a positive work environment with a good admin? What about the new concept school? Do you like what they're doing there? Do you align with their philosophy? Good admin there?

I'm at a charter by choice, so I would gravitate towards the new concept school just based on the description. It sounds like you would get to build something, which is really exciting for me. I teach 5th at a school where 4th and 5th are brand new this year. It's been quite an experience and very hard, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But that is my personality. Really, I would go with the school that fits your philosophy the best and is run the best. Money is of secondary consideration to me. I want to enjoy my work, and I do. I could make more elsewhere, but I would never leave for that.

I don't know about the friendship thing either - I could see that being a huge positive...hm.

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 19, 2015

One is 6 for sure, the other could be 5 or 6 -- not sure. Best friend - I met before I switch careers and by shear coincidence ended up in the same school a few years ago.

Another factor is that the new job opportunity will use a language model that is more appealing than the new concept school which means less work in that area.

I'm flying blind in both aspects as far as administration goes. I don't know much about either one.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 19, 2015

Go with $$ and being closer to home! Both make a huge difference in quality of life.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 19, 2015

How far is the school that's further? Personally, the distance wouldn't matter to me unless it was a big difference or the commute was much better or worse at one over the other.

10. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 19, 2015

I would base my decision on the school and on your gut feeling. Having a friend would be nice...more money and closer work is nice...what really matters is where you want to teach. Which school would you like to wake up and drive to every morning? Where can you see yourself best?

I'm getting ready to start my first year teaching in August. I received a few different offers. Most were public school, well-paying, and in my preferred grades. The one I ended up taking is private school, low-paying, farther from home and is a combination class.
    I took the private school job because I have a personal passion for the work they are doing. I consider the job almost to be a voluntary service based on my love and affinity for the school. I also know that now is the only time in my life when I will be able to afford such a job.

All that to say, take the job YOU want. Life is too short to spend in a job you don't like. If you're intrigued by the unknowns and excited about teaching in the same school as your bestie, go there. If you prefer financial security and an environment you believe will help you be your best, go there.

11. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 20, 2015

Do what's best for you...

I hope your best friend understands either way.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2015

Personally, I would take the school closer to home with a pay raise. If this is a friend that you met before teaching, then she'll be there regardless of where you end up. Good luck with your choice!

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2015

I have a slightly different perspective.

Best friend aside, there is something special about starting up a new school. Being on the leadership team at a new school could be excellent resume fodder. It could also give you valuable experience for down the road.

Honestly, if I were in your position, I might consider continuing on at the new school--not because my best friend is working there, but because I would want to build my leadership skills. It's not always true that higher performing schools are awesome, so this other, closer school may or may not be perfect. I know of a "very good" school that is experiencing a huge exodus of teachers, at least 50% of the teaching staff, because they hate working under the principal there. They are all transferring to an underperforming school about 10 miles away.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 20, 2015

A pay raise at a great school ... versus working at a low-performing school that seems to not have some of the "essentials" in place yet? I would take door number one.

I guess I've worked at enough low-performing, low-income schools to last me a lifetime ... In fact, I would leave my current district for a pay raise if the option was there.

15. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

May 20, 2015

Depending on how much longer of a drive the new school is from you, I think this is pretty much a toss up.

Think you're gonna have to go with your gut on this one.

Would you still be considering the new concept school job if your friend wasn't involved?

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 20, 2015

A colleague (whom I also consider a friend) and I decided to request the same grade level for next year so we could be a team. I ended up accepting a new position that will actually be out of the classroom next year. My colleague was nothing but supportive. She was actually a reference for me. Do what you want to do next year. Which offer is more appealing?

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 20, 2015

I would make a decision based on the work itself: money, environment, location, etc. If your best friend is really your best friend, he/she will remain that regardless of where the two of you are working.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 20, 2015

I so agree with this!!!! I loved my school last year, but this year I'm teaching at a school that is a completely perfect fit for me, and the joy I have in this job just doesn't compare.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 20, 2015

I'd go closer school and pay raise. Your friend will understand if she's truly a friend.

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 20, 2015

I agree Ceasar that this new concept school could potentially be a great thing for my career. It will definitely be a huge challenge and we will be watch under a microscope given the past reputation of the school. I'm given it a lot of consideration.

My commute for this school would be about 18 miles - less than 30 minutes unless traffic is bad.

As for my friend, we planned on going together where ever they sent us. It's just that there's been so little information shared to helps us make the right decision. Lots of us are having to switch to other schools and little info has been shared.