Best First Day of School Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 19, 2012

With the first day of school later this week, I am once again wracking my brain for something new and entertaining to do the first day or two of school.

I teach third....what are your favorite activities for the first day or so of school?

I usually do some kind of back to school coloring activity that allows the students to tell something about themselves (purchased from Really Good Stuff). I am searching for a good back to school glyph that is challenging but not TOO hard for third graders.

I used to have a book that I made transparencies for. You showed the kids a picture, they studied it for a minute, then had to answer questions based on what they remembered. It was always fun to see how much they remembered. I have yet to find a smartboard one, though.

Please share your favorites! THANKS!

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

I'm thinking about having students fill out an all about me robot I saw on Scholastic but not putting their name on it. Then I'll put it on the bulletin board over a picture of them with the heading "How Well Do You Know the Third Grade?" and people will have to lift the paper to see who filled out each robot.

I also plan on having students write a letter to themselves that they can read at the end of the year. I'll model it first, something that includes how they felt on the first day of school, what they're looking forward to and some goals for the year.

NewSpEdTeacher2017 likes this.
  4. ShellyAve

ShellyAve Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

I always like to this and some "get to know me" type of activities.

5. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Aug 23, 2012

Fun Activity We Did

Here is a fun activity we did today during teacher training that you could do with the kids on the first day. When we came in the room we picked out out favorite tootsie pop from a bucket. This is how we were grouped...oranges together, purples together and so on. Once we got in our groups we were told to find five things that we had in common with the whole group (couldn't be obvious). We then shared with the rest of the "class". It was really cute and we all learned something about each other.

I also do a people search....find one person who caught a fish this summer, someone who plays the piano, etc.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2012

I love the lollipop idea. I might steal that one! :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2012

I used to like sending my kids on a treasure hunt around the room. They had to locate specific things like - the poster that shows when the Revolutionary War started, the last book in the non-fiction area, the shelf where the spelling books are stacked, the number of different markers in the marker bin...... I would have some students start at the beginning of the list, some in the middle, some at the end.

8. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

I love this idea, definitely coming with me!

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2012