Best Dry Erase Markers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cheeryteacher, Feb 10, 2008.

1. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

Hi All,
    I use individual dry erase marker boards a lot in my class. I am about ready to order supplies for next year and I want a dry erase marker that lasts a long time and the tip can't be pushed in. I currently let my kids use Expo chisel tip. The ink lasts for years, but the tip ends up being pushed in on a good percentage of the markers. Expo chisel tip are the only kinds of dry erase markers I have ever used (other than dollar store brands that run out of ink in a month), so I'm looking for your opinions.
    I have a couple of questions to ask you guys:
    Do the Expo bullet tip markers get pushed in or fray?
    Are there any other good brands that don't have problems with the tip being pushed in? School Smart? Marks-a-lot? Crayola? Bic?
    I saw a dry erase crayon by Trend. Has anyone tried these out?

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions and help!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 10, 2008

I like the expo chisel tip. Don't buy the low odor though, they don't last as long and they stain a bit.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

I agree completely.

Maybe you should talk to your kids about how to handle the markers appropriately so that the tips don't get pushed in. I notice that several of my students are more likely to have broken markers than all the rest, and those are the same students who tend to break pencils and turn in crumpled papers and just generally handle things more roughly.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

I agree with talking to the class about how to handle them. Some of them were inherited when I came to my new school and were already pushed in a little. Over time they went in all the way. I have more markers that are starting to go bad also (dtying up, pushed in tip, etc.) I was already planning on ordering more for next year and thought it might be time to change if I can get the same quality and avoid that problem all together.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

I was also thinking fine tip Expo markers for student boards. Any thoughts on those?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

If students will be using the boards for practice or something, those ones should be fine.

When I use the boards, it's usually part of a game or activity where they have to hold up the boards so that I can see them, and I can never read the fine writing. I prefer that my students use the fat ones.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

I use Expo- I order some for 'sharing' but also put Expo markers on my school supply list for the kids to bring.

9. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

If the tips get pushed in you can pull them back out. Just put a in into the felt tip and pull out. I have to do this every so often.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

I'll try that until I order more. Thanks. (That's supposed to be pin, correct?)

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

We use them for practice. Most of the time they do a problem and then turn it to show me their work.

12. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Feb 10, 2008

I also like to keep my markers with their point so I have a certain tub of markers that the kids use that way once they mess up the point it really doesn't matter.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

Currenlty, we're using a set of markers from Really Good Stuff. They are the thin tip ones, but I can see the writing pretty well. So far, they have lasted all year. Some kids also brought in their own markers, many are the Expo ones. Those seem to have lasted for a while too, but not as long as my Really Good Stuff markers. OH, and these are the ones I also used when I taught kinder!

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

Thanks, I will look into Really Good Stuff markers.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2008

I prefer the liquid dry erase markers. There are several companies that make them. They last a really long time and don't fade out as you use them.

I'm allergic to the regular & low odor kinds--hives--so I have to use the liquid ones.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

I must be using a different brand of liquid dry erase markers, because mine were done after like a week. I write on the board a lot, and these sorts of markers just don't hold up very well for me. Plus they take a second or two to dry, so I end up smearing them all over.

I really prefer my Promethean board. No markers at all!

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

The ones I got from the dollar store (12 for a dollar-couldn't pass it up) were the liquid kind. Some of them still work after being used all year, but some run when the kids write. They are awfully stinky-but at the price I really can't complain.
    What brand of liquid markers do you use?

And what of these dry erase crayons. I'm tempted to order them just to check them out.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2008

My favorites were InkTank, and I think Crayola made them. They discontinued them, though. I bought a bunch of them. The Expo ones don't last as long.

When I got my SmartBoard 3 years ago, I quit going through so many markers.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 10, 2008

I am a stickler for using EXPO brands on my boards only. The off brands seam not to erase as good. I also try not to use the red colored ones. They are aweful about not coming off. If you have students use fine tips, don't get pinks, reds, lime greens, etc... Those weird colors don't erase easily. That's my experience, at least.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 10, 2008

I didn't post:
    Our students are required to bring 4 EXPO brand chisel tip markers to school. It is on their supply list.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 10, 2008

Somehow, my kids didn't bring those in in the beginning of the year. So, in January, my supply was about out and I didn't want to buy any more. I required each child to bring in 2 Expos and an old sock for an eraser.

22. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 10, 2008

My personal favorites for writing are Expo Chisel Tips, because they last pretty long and they make my writing look neater on the board. But almost anything with a chisel tip will do; however, deliver me from a bullet tip marker. I hate them!

23. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Feb 10, 2008

My students furnish their own. When the rough kids' points get pushed in, I tell tell them to use paper and pencil. It is amazing their marker tips don't get punched in anymore. When they run out of "juice" , the kids bring in a new one.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

I also required my kids to provide their own marker and sock. Unfortunately, majority of my kid's families rather spend the money on snacks, video games, or I-Pods. Grrrrr..... So I still have to provide the markers to them.

25. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Feb 10, 2008

26. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Apr 3, 2009

How can I prolong the life of my dry erase markers? My expos seem to last about a week before drying out! Even less when the students use them....

Thanks,
    db

27. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 3, 2009

Use a generic glass cleaner (e.g. a generic version of Windex.) The primary ingredient in Expo cleaner is isopropyl alchohol just like glass cleaner.

28. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 3, 2009

How long do you leave them uncapped? Recap them when them when you're not writing.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2009

Are you putting the caps back on tightly? A week seems like WAY too short a life span...:eek:

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2009

I have Crayolas that I love! They were a little more expensive, but I love the way they write; they last forever; the colours (all 8) are really vivid. They are really difficult to find; next time I see them I'm going to stock up.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 3, 2009

I don't know exactly how many kinds of Expo markers there are, but the original chisel point ones don't last long at all in my opinion, so I'd take a chance trying another brand.

32. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2009

I have expos that have lasted over a year.

33. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2009

I had all of my kids bring in two black chisel tip expo markers at the beginning of the year. I have had to go through quite a few of them and I don't write on the board very often. I may try the crayola brand year after next. I am set for markers for at least the next year, if not two.

34. forkids

forkids Cohort

Apr 4, 2009

I have some Crayola markers that write fine but are impossible to erase. Every time the kids use them, the board has to be cleaned with board cleaner or a baby wipe - they will not erase dry.

35. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Apr 4, 2009

:eek: You've had expos last a YEAR?! What the heck am I doing wrong? In my classroom this year, I've gone through about a dozen expos. I write with only one marker until it runs out. It usually only lasts like two weeks or so! (Although I will say, I'm picky and as soon as it starts to fade, I chuck it).

36. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2009

I'm the same way. I have one blue marker at the board because I write the agenda in blue, five black markers because I can never have more than 5 kids at the board at one time, and one brown because I like to write in brown sometimes. None of them last a year.

37. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2009

My markers never last more than two months, tops. The average life for them is like 3 weeks or so on average.

When I'm not using the Promethean board, I go through a ton of markers. I write a lot--lots of charts and sentences and stuff. My board is always full of stuff at the end of each class period. There's no way markers in my room could have long lives...they just get used too much.

38. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 4, 2009

ugh! I hate expo markers! I wish my buildings still had chalkboards, it can be really hard to teach a kid to draw..using dry erase markers! I love the crayola ones! They write so much smoother and I find they are easier to work with. I think they tend to be a bit more expensive, but I just like how smooth they go on..and I have never seen them with the pushed in problem like the expo ones.

39. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Apr 4, 2009

It's not me...it's them!!!!!

My markers are fine - it's the ones the students use to write on those little white board paddles!! Seems they're always fading...

Is there a chemical secret to breathe new life into these markers (something like storing them in vinegar, ammonia, or another deadly chemical)

thanks
    db

40. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2009

I had a student last year that always complained that his marker was dried out, or pushed in, or leaking whenever we used the individual boards. I would try out he marker and it would be fine. For some kids no marker will be good enough because what they really want is the attention.

41. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

I have several expo chisel tip dry erase markers that have lasted since last school year. Some of them have just now started drying out. I have one student that is "marker person". Their job is to make sure that all caps are on the markers tightly after we use them. Every now and then we have one that gets missed but it has sure helped where most of them are concerned.