Best Drain Unclogger on the Market?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2010

From time to time, my bathroom sink gets clogged & I've bought Drano & a couple of other brands before, but I'm wondering is there something much better. Any ideas, thanks!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

I don't know of anything better than Draino. When I worked at a day care, I put it down all the sinks once a month. Kids seemed to bring so much sand into the facility, that the sinks would plug up easily.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

Have you seen that informercial about the drain unclogger? It illoks like a pipe cleaner that you swirl around and it catches the loose hair that may clog drains. It looks totally cheap toe but I wondered if anyone else has seen it.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

The best drain unclogger is going under your sink, taking the pipes apart and pulling out whatever gunk is causing the clog.

I've done it many times. It's not that hard, especially if your house is less than 20 years old.

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Our tub was draining very slow and I tried several chemical based products, but had very little success. My dh then came with this thin piece of plastic appx. 2ft long with barbs/thorns on the side. I actually laughed when he showed me, but was soon amazed at how much hair and goo came out of the drain. I still use if every few month to clear out the trapped hair. Fyi--t was cheap less than$5 and he found it at lowes or home depot.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

One of the many uses for an old bicycle spoke.

(a new spoke costs about $1 at any bike shop).

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

Good to know. Our tub has been sluggish since we moved in. I hate standing in a tub of water while I am showering. I was going to attack it today with a wire hanger but maybe I will get the real tool. lol

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 27, 2010

For your sink, look underneath and see if there is something you can loosen or turn which will allow you to remove the stopper from the drain in the sink. Then you can clean the stopper. I bought those bendable brush drain cleaner things and they work well.

10. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I used Drano, but our plumber friend said it isn't good. He suggested taking the pipe apart and removing the hair, etc. Or, get one of the things PP have mentioned to pull it out. I think one was called Drain Claw...I need to get one!!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2010

Thanks guys. Whatever you do, do NOT get Roto-Rooter's bottle of liquid unclogger. I bought it for the 1st time thinking it would be good since it's the from the same company as the plumbers themselves, but NO. The liquid in the bottle was so soupy & I didn't even notice a minute improvement.

When I was doing some Googling, I read that mixing together baking soda & vinegar is supposed to unclog drains. I have yet to try that.

12. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 27, 2010

also if you need to call a plumber to roto-rooter, they will not do it if you have used draino. (at least in our area) Because then they are pulling out all of those caustic chemicals.

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Yes you can try putting some baking soda in, then vinegar, then hot water to dissolve it all and wash it down. It sometimes helps in addition to clearing out that sink stopper that can get a lot of hairs, etc!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2010

Well the baking soda & vinegar didn't work! :mad:

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

Home Depot sells this really potent stuff in a black bottle sealed in a plastic zip bag. It attacks greasy gunk...which I've found out is what causes us to get stopped up due to our creamy body washes and regular hair loss...It's the only thing that works. I'm in a rental so I will use it on the tub pipes but I would never use it on a home I owned. I can't imagine the damage it must cause long term to the pipe:unsure:. It's sold sealed in a plastic bag for goodness sakes!!! But..it works every time and keeps our pipe clear for months!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2010

I figured I better do something quick because it will only get worse so today, I got 2 bottles (just in case) of what's worked pretty well in the past...Pro Strength Drano Max Gel. It' safe for plastic, PVC, metal pipes, garbage disposals, and septic systems, won't harm pipes when used overnight, & contains no phosphorus.

I'm using it now!

17. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I have to post this - I thought the title was best "brain" unclogger!