Best Behavior Management System??

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2011

This is totally my philosophy too! I do believe in rewards & incentives in the classroom. I also believe in intrinsic motivation but the reality is 3rd graders are still learning what that is. In the meantime, I will reward the behavior that warrants it and deal with the behavior that doesn't. We always, as a classroom community, hope for improvement and a better day tomorrow. We congratulate each other on progress made, and I think that helps to build community as well....seeing a member of the community make a mistake and learn from it. :hugs:

2. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 5, 2011

Thanks for the ideas! :)

3. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 6, 2011

Thank you everyone for sharing your fabulous ideas. Now here's my conundrum: Our school director went to mentor training and came back with this: It is now illegal to use any visual display of behavior. No more red/yellow/green, no more "move your person," no more "sticks in a pocket," NOTHING. It has to be 100% positive if there is any kind of display. We are a new school going into our second year and we are trying to come up with a school wide cohesive system for behavior (or at least one for K-2, 3-5, 6-8 since we're all in our own (temporary) buildings). That was what we were left with for our summer "food for thought." We're all kind of at a loss... to find something that we can all use as well as appropriate punishments. We're not allowed to take away recess (unless there is a playground incident) or allow them to miss PE (apparently there's something being passed about exactly how many minutes per week students are supposed to have physical activity).... Any suggestions? We're all doing our own research but I'm certainly interested in any suggestions you may have. ***Not trying to hijack the post, just looking for ideas since we're on the topic! :thanks:

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2011

Boy, that's going to be tough. IMO, there should be a good mix of negative and positive consequences. In the real world, if I speed, I get a speeding ticket. I truly believe there has to be negative with positive, especially if the goal is to simulate the real world, which is always a goal of mine. Having said that, I don't know what to suggest to you, because I don't see a behavior system that excludes negative as successful.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Maybe you could have an individual display for each student that they keep in a folder at the desk?

Or have some kind of economy. This could be like Beth Newingham's checkbook idea where they all have a piece of paper and when you see them doing something good you give them a tally or stamp in credits side $5, $10, etc section. If you see them doing something not so good, you charge them by giving them a stamp on the debts side $5, $10, etc.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2011

I would recommend something like the Economy system or something where the students, not the teacher, keeps documentation of rewards/consequences. Maybe in a 3X5 notebook or something like that. I'm just not a big fan of a teacher keeping a log because the students don't really take ownership of their own behaviors if the teacher is in charge of it. Make it something the kids can do that is kind of private.

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 6, 2011

Their system can still include negative behavior, it just can't include visual displays where everyone can see what level the students are at.

How about keeping track of their levels on a clipboard? I worked at a school that did this, mainly because the clipboard traveled with the students as they went to different classes and specials. All of the teachers used the same system, and the students worked toward earning PAT on Friday afternoons.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Instead of a display, could you have a card that they hold onto and then you switch for positive or negative behaviors?

9. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 6, 2011

Wow, interesting! So, how exactly is it illegal? Was a law passed, or is it just against district policy?

10. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 6, 2011

We were told it was a federal mandate... although our school director couldn't specify whether it was a state wide or a national thing because NO ONE has ever heard of this before. Even at the seminar she was at, she said no one was familiar with this new law/mandate/bill/whathaveyou and everyone was in shock when the speaker told them this...

We've considered the economy system (which I did last year with tickets) and the clipboard system that would travel with the class. These two are my favorites but we have to find something to get everyone on board. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

11. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 7, 2011

Interesting - you've got me interested to do some searching :). I can't imagine that they would legislate something like that, especially considering there is considerable evidence that "response cost" components of classwide contingency management systems can be quite effective, if not critical, in their inclusion!

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

The other thread about clip charts got me thinking. Someone posted there that you use the clip chart primarily as a positive discipline plan.
    That would work but I wonder could you take the bottom portion off and only have ready to learn and up? Completely get rid of the reflection and note home.
    So the student would always be working toward the top no matter what.
    Thoughts?

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

My guess is who ever is claiming that only positive behavior displayed is a national mandate is full of.....

14. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

Does this system work in fifth grade? I'd like to try it out this upcoming school year.

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

No. She is not saying only display the positive part of it. Actually I am asking if that would work. I think with the classroom community she creates many of her students do not have to move down to the bottom. I'm not sure. I asked her to clarify.

16. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 8, 2011

Sounds like this person got carried away with the recommendations for PBIS. :rolleyes:

I looked and didn't see anything in NC law that doesn't allow visual displays of behavior.
    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0115C

Honestly, I have a hard time believing that a state who still allows corporal punishment in schools would be concerned about a visual clip system for behavior.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 8, 2011

Mrs. Mom - I just wrote a long post on this question on another thread. I also HATE taking away recess. I believe in Love and Logic and it has saved my sanity many times. It takes a little time to get the kids used to it, because they are so used to being scolded and told what to do, and with this system they have to figure out what to do. Here is my response:

I've been using Love and Logic for years. One thing I do out of L/L teachings, because my students are so young, is that they get a warning by getting their name put on the board. this gets their attention and makes them figure out "What am I supposed to be doing?"

Love and Logic principles are:

-the student is responsible for the emotions of the incident: teacher does not get angry or frustrated or have hurt feelings; teacher places the responsibility on the student: no angry voice, no voice implying "That was sure a stupid thing to do."

-teacher expresses empathy for what has happened "Boy, I feel really bad too when I say something to hurt someone's feelings."

-student figures out what the problem is and how to solve it. I often make this a writing assignment to do at home with parents' help - this way parents know what is going on. I also save these writings in the students' files to show them later if it comes up again

The very best thing is that YOU do not have to take on the negative feelings toward the child. You get to empathize and guide the child to what the problem is and how to solve it. You can continue enjoying the child and treat him as any other child.

If a child is disruptive, I will place him in a chair where he can still learn, but can't disrupt others. After the child calms down, I always tell him "You can come back to the group as soon as you are ready to be helpful to the class." and I let the child make that decision.

This is long, but here is a story of L/L from last year:

Some child, say, Mike, keeps kicking balls over the fence (down a cliff). Soon that is not so exciting. So he starts kicking his SHOE over the fence. This means an adult or older child has to go fix his problem, because it is too dangerous. It is kinda like the baby game, "I dropped my toy again mommy, how many times will you pick it up for me?"

So, Mike once again kicks his shoe over the fence. Here is our conversation:

Mike: My shoe went over the fence.
    Me: Yes I saw that.
    Mike: Can I go get it?
    Me: No it is too dangerous. There is a cliff there.
    Mike: Can I ask a big kid to go get it?

Me: No, it is not their problem. It is your problem (I am thinking, he is not going to get hurt without a shoe for the rest of the day - he will be inside the rest of the day. His mom can go get the shoe when she gets here - this kid kicked his shoe over the fence about 5 times already and was always rescued.)

Mike gets very quiet while pulling on his sock.
    Mike: My mom is going to be really mad if I don't have my shoe.
    Me: Yes she probably will be. Maybe she can get it for you.
    Mike: Noooo, she will be really mad!
    Me:I know.
    Mike: CanI go talk to the principal and tell her I don't know what to do?
    Me: Sure! I'll walk in with you. Watch where you step, you don't want to step on anything sharp or on any broken glass.(empathy)

Mike is suddenly putting 2 + 2 together: I kick my shoe over the fence, I could cut up my foot!

Mike had no more problem kicking his shoe over the fence. The next day I asked him what he thought he could do to keep his shoe. He had figured out he should play kickball at the other end of the playground where there was no cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I got to like him and have a good day with him.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 8, 2011

P.S. Jim Faye developed this system after a bad day, years ago, when a smart mouth middle schooler pushed his last button and he smacked the kid right in the mouth!

19. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 8, 2011

20. jmonte98

jmonte98 New Member

Jul 10, 2011

www.classroomconflict.com

Try "Give Me Back My Pencil," the new conflict resolution musical, as a teaching tool for teaching respect and everyday kindness in the elementary school classroom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.