Best Behavior Management System??

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

Our elementary pulls cards for behavior management, loss of recess in varying degrees is the usual consequence. I am NOT a fan of loss of recess, and would love to do something more creative. Any ideas?

ALSO, I have heard about a behavior system that has visual, hand-cues to help kids remember the rules. I believe the child had to identify the actual rule broken when they misbehave. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? I looked it up early in the spring, and I know there were webinars on this system, but now I can't remember much else about it so I can't research it further!

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2011

Here's what I use and LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!
    [​IMG]

You can read about it here: Best. Thing. Ever.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

I have heard so many bad stories how the pulling card system does not work. I've never tried it though.
    I give team points and class points.

I would love to look into the one iheartrecess has shown because I would like to try something different.

Off to check it out.

6. EagleTeacher

EagleTeacher Rookie

Jul 1, 2011

Google "Whole Brain Teaching" or what used to be called "Power Teaching". They have rules with hand movements.
    Also, I love using the Bead System. Check out Angela Powell's website that Waterfall Lady mentioned. I once used management strategies that required moving cards or clothespins but found that it didn't work for me. Reinforcing positive behavior is what the Bead system is all about!

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 1, 2011

I love this. I have also tried so many things. Tickets, checkbooks, table points, punch cards. They can be very tedious. I think I"ll give this a shot!

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

Iheartrecess I have a question about your clips. I looked at your site but can you explain again how you change their clip colors when they reach outstanding?

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

And also going back to look at it. How exactly did you make it as a banner on vistaprint?

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2011

Sure.

When a child climbs to the Top of the Chart, they get to draw a star onto their clip and are given one of these labels:

[​IMG]

After accumulating 5 stars, they take home their clip and replace it with a colored one. I give them a regular clothespin and they color it with marker. Coloring it is half the fun and part of the incentive. I went in rainbow order last year so it was easy to tell where they were at. Everyone started with a plain old clothespin and from there "upgraded" to red, orange, yellow, green, etc.

That was it. No prize pail. No auction. Nothing to tally, count, collect or maintain. LOVE!!!!

And to be completely honest, I also found it to be my most effective behavior chart system ever. By finding even small things to clip up my more challenging students for they strived to reach the top and it changed their behavior in positive ways.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2011

iheartrecess, I use something very similar but I do tie it to rewards. The tend to be very free things for the kids (sit somewhere else in the classroom, earn a positive ticket, work in the hallway, good note home). Each level has a positive attached to it.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

iheartrecess, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the clip chart. I used it in a long-term subbing situation with success (most of the time). However, I feel like I want to tweak it a bit for a fresh start in the new year. I'm totally stealing your star thing. But what about consequences? Didn't you always have 1 or 2 at the bottom? In the sub gig, I had much more success when I attached loss of recess to each color, like minus 5 minutes for yellow, minus 10 minutes for orange, and no recess for those at the bottom by the end of the day. I only did this because it was a true emergency, but I genuinely hate taking away that time. What else can I do? I'll be with 2nd graders in the fall.

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2011

The thing I really love about the clip chart is that it focuses on the positive and provides the kids with an opportunity to improve. I start all my kids on "ready to learn." If they move down one time it's basically a warning and time to 'reflect.' If they move down again then a note goes home. I teach 3rd so they write it themselves. With younger grades you could have a preprinted form. The best part though is that because they know they have the opportunity to clip up and avoid the note home then they tend to be on their best behavior and go out of their way to make positive choices throughout the day.

I had one girl this year who could be a challenge. However, I learned that if I clipped her down early in the day she was flawless throughout the remainder of the day so that she could avoid the note home.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2011

Here's the problem that I ran into with this type of system: what if a student moves down to note home and then back up again? Does the note still go home or do they get to tear it up?

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 2, 2011

The way I did it you got to dig yourself out of a hole and receive a consequence. My chart looked like this:

Purple: Excellent/Reward and full recess
    Blue: Awesome/Full recess
    Green: Everyone starts here/Full recess
    Yellow: One step down/-5 minutes of recess
    Orange: Two steps down/-10 minutes of recess
    Red: Three steps down/No recess and silent lunch
    Frequently on red=meeting with myself, parent, and/or principal, or some other intervention.

If a kid landed on red he got silent lunch no matter what, but if he worked his way out of red to green by the end of the day he got full recess. So I essentially tied two consequences to red so that I didn't have to have your issue. :lol: (I realize these are not logical consequences, but again, I was in "fake it 'til ya make it" mode. The kids were totally crazy until I gave them something specific with high structure.)

16. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 2, 2011

I like this behavior system.

I think I might make it to if the child landed on a note home then there was no moving back up. However, if they were on "Thinking About it" or "Reflecting" then they could move back up.

17. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2011

hmm..what's to stop the misbehaving if there's no chance of moving back up? If I screwed up so bad that I had to move my clip down to reflecting and I knew I couldn't move it back, then I'd be a serious problem...cuz why bother, ya know?

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 2, 2011

I agree. And this is why I do not like the red, yellow, green systems. I like this one for the reason that you can move back up.

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 2, 2011

Also with the whole system that iheartrecess has I wonder if it would work as good if you took away the adding star stickers and coloring the clothspin thing.

Can't it just be if you get to the bottom at the end of the day you get a bad note and if you get to the top at the end of the day you get a good note?

20. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 2, 2011

I think that system is better than a lot because you can move back up... but knowing my own kids - I think that it would be too much - too unconnected... not logical enough. I've always been a logical consequences kind of teacher, but since having my own children, I have felt even more strongly about it. I think kids learn to behave if it means something to them and if they are treated with empathy. All the consequences make me feel uneasy.

21. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 2, 2011

I agree with logical consequences as well.
    I know with some of the kids I have coming up they would not care if a note was sent home because their parents would never read it. And who cares if they lose recess.

I wish there was something else I could put on the bottom.

22. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2011

I have a warning level, a reflection level (which is where they write a note to the parent), and then a teacher choice level. Basically, I keep the consequence open for me to choose what it should be. If a student gets here with me, they know what is generally going to happen is a phone call to mom or dad right then.

23. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2011

I use the Clip Chart as well and I must say, it has been my best system yet! I had several students who were considered "challenging" and the Clip Chart was very effective in helping them to understand consequences and having control over your own behavior. When I child clipped down to "Consequence", I chose what the consequence should be but they are still able to "clip up" after they've received their consequence. So they always had hope for a better day if they chose to. And when they took their behavior charts home to show their parents, if they clipped up, it would show where their day ended. So if they clip back up, that is what goes on the parent form. The only time they are not allowed to clip up is when they reach "Parent Contact". Once on Parent Contact, a parent will have to be notified. No exceptions!

Along with the Clip Chart, I also do table points (Hi-5's) where each time a table is the first ready, the first quiet, the first ready to learn or the first table working quietly, they can earn a High 5! Basically, the High 5's are little hand cut outs I bought from Cason Dellosa ( I think they are multicultural ones). WHen they earn a High 5, they give each other high 5's and then the table captain puts one of the hand cutouts on the High 5's chart. Whatever table gets 5 High 5's by the end of the week gets a special priviliege (computer time etc.) I love how my students really try to work as a team to earn those High 5's. We discuss ways to be a team at the beginning of the year and the table captains are rotated so each child at the table gets a turn.

I also have a whole class system where the kids earn marbles when the whole class is ready, following the rules, gets a compliment from another teacher or Principal, etc. When they earn 10, they get a special privilege.

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 2, 2011

The high fives is such a cute idea.

25. Youngteacher226

Jul 3, 2011

Thanks!:)

26. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 4, 2011

Wouldn't you find that students would misbehave knowing they'd have a chance to move back up?

There is a point. It's called consequences for your own actions.
    I would allow them to be able to move back up for "thinking about it" or "reflections." But I feel once the student has moved to the very bottom then that's it. No moving back up. I truly feel you can only give a student so many warnings before there has to be an end.

Before they get to the 'note from home' they've had several, what I would consider, "warnings."

That's just my opinion. :)

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2011

Are y'all required to take daily conduct grades? I am, and I'm confused as to how I would officially grade the clip system. I love it in theory. Right now, I use a card system where everyone starts on an A each day. If you mess up, you can improve your grade, but it is harder than lowering it. Also, if your grade dips below a C, you can only earn back to a B. It seems to work so far...

28. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 4, 2011

See, I think some kids get into a snowball effect - and if they have no chance of getting out of it, they are going to just keep snowballing!

To me, it's in the same category of the kids who need recess most getting recess taken away from them... because of behavior that would be helped if they just had more time outside playing at recess!

29. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 4, 2011

I feel moving them back up from the bad note is the same as me saying "If you keep doing this or that YOUR GOING to get a bad note".

I say that all the time and I give them chances.

30. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 4, 2011

-bad note home-

^^
    Not my words. My kids say thats what they are called all the time.

31. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 4, 2011

I don't believe in taking recess away, but I see your point.
    I just feel differently. I feel kids are given too many chances these days.

I'm a little more old fashioned when it comes to discipline.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2011

If I have a particularly challenging child, quite often instead of having them stand on the fence at recess, they walk laps around the playground - using up some energy!

33. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 4, 2011

Some teachers at my school started doing that and administration put a stop to it. Our AP said she didn't believe in using exercise as a form of punishment.

We'll see what happens next year.

34. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 5, 2011

I am implementing the Clip Chart system this year. I like the format and I think it will work well in my classroom. The only issues I am encountering in my planning for this are the consequences. I definitely like the students' ability to "clip up." However, I agree with a previous poster about how once a student reaches "parent contact," parental contact definitely should be made, i.e. no clipping back up. I am sorta struggling with this. I guess another option would be to send a note home in their folder that day, indicating that their behavior had caused need for the parental contact, but if their behavior had improved, to let the parent know they had ended the day on a different level. I am just brainstorming, I guess, but I am leaning toward the idea that the students can clip up as long as they have not landed on parental contact. Sorry for rambling... :blush:

35. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 5, 2011

What are some consequences you all implement other than loss of recess?

36. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 5, 2011

build a classroom community, get the kids to care about and respect you, ask them to solve their own problems, and voilà-- no rewards needed. promise.

37. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2011

Loss of working out of seat, loss of working with a friend, working in front of the classroom, contact parents of course, cool down area, cool down in another classroom

38. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2011

I use the light system and with movement down, you lose out on privileges. For green light, I have 8 pictures showing the students what they can do, for yellow light they can do 5 of the things that green light students can do but they are not allowed in the field at recess, can't choose computers during free choice time and they can't sit with a friend at lunch (we eat in the classroom). The difference between yellow and red light is when they are at red light, their desk is moved away from the other students at lunch, they can't come to the teacher store (to spend the "bucks" they earned for meeting their goals), they have teacher choice during their free choice time and they have a 5 minute time-out on the bench before they are allowed to have recess in the playground (no field).

I find the pictures really help not only the students but the adults in my class. It is no longer the teacher taking things away, it is their behavior that made them lose privileges. The students are also always aware of what they lose due to their behavior.

Hitting and swearing is an automatic red light and if this behavior continues their name is remove from the chart. My students can earn a chance to move their name back, but they can only move their clip up once a day. I find that if my students are able to move their clip up too quickly (without feeling the loss of privileges for their behaviors) that they are constantly alternating between good behavior (just long enough to move their clip) and inappropriate behavior. I have a few students whom are unable to control their behavior for a full day and will always be on red light so I give them a 1/2 of day to earn the ability to move their clip up (a minimum of 2.5 hours).

39. Youngteacher226

Jul 5, 2011

When a child reaches "Parent Contact" on our Clip Chart, I don't necessarily call home. I only call home if there is a severe infraction like fighting, swearing, disrespect towards teachers/adults, aggressiveness towards classmates, bullying etc. If a child got to Parent Contact due to minor misbehavior, they fill out a Parent Contact form. On the form, the child has to circle whether they thought they had a 1. Good Day 2. Ok Day or 3. Bad Day etc. (not exact wording, but close). Then they have to explain what they did to get to Parent Contact. And they also have to write what they will do to make sure they do not behave the same way again. Parent has to sign it or they make write a response, then the note is brought back to school the next day. I keep the signed Parent Contact forms in the student's folder. I keep them as documentation. I do explain to parents though at the beginning of the year that if their child has an abundant number of Parent Contact forms, there is a chance they will not be allowed on field trips without a parent chaperone.

40. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 5, 2011

That is how I contact parents. I never call unless the behavior is really extreme. I mainly send notes or e-mails.

41. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2011

Classroom community, with a positive classroom climate, is definitely key. I know rewards is a hot issue, but I personally see nothing wrong with it. Consequences shouldn't always be negative, IMO. In the real world, we function this way too. As much as I love teaching, I have to get that paycheck at the end, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. That's like a reward. It's what I worked hard for. It's the same with our kids. I don't see anything wrong with rewarding hard work and good behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.