Best Art Project Ever

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by bonteach, Jul 29, 2009.

1. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I am teaching art this year to elementary students and I was wondering:
    What is the best art project you have ever done? Did it connect to a core curriculum subject?

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

that is a broad question. hmm....The best lesson I ever taught was to middle school students while I was student teaching. Although I've had some really amazing ones that the kids just really take to. I've done the same lessons..and with one group they can't get enough of it, another group..they are like..what the crap is this. lol

For me..the best ones are the ones that I use a lot of art history, even with my elementary kids. they just get into it..and I try my best to share my stories and travels, which definately makes it more interesting for them.

A project..done by loads of teachers that really was a big hit this year..that I kept extending b/c the kids were really working hard at it. The classic clay pop art food. What made it extra fun...I did this for the kids art show that was incorporating reading/writing....I had them write a poem about their food. It could be a rhyming, acrostic (which for being the easiest was the least successful but I also got some really great ones...mostly b/c they didn't have as big of vocab) or a haiku. I had some kids really get into this..and b/c I teach urban kiddos I had a lot turn theirs into raps while they were trying to think of ideas. There was a lot of great collaboration.

Now if only I had a kiln so the air dry clay would have stopped chipping so much. doh!

By grade levels..

K - these really amazing neon bird paintings. They turned out beautiful!
    1 - Dr. Seuss inspried characters out of model magic...we go all out with feathers, gems and glitter paint. It's amazing how crazy they get!
    2nd - when I was student teaching these came out so much better...mostly b/c of skill level. Mythological Animals...the paper was folded in a way that the animals could change. one head, two different kinds of bodies.
    3rd - clay birds in nests/Arcimboldo food face collages.
    4th - Rousseau paper jungle collages
    5th - A lesson that incorporates music....always a big hit b/c of the visuals used and way it is taught. I got loads of comments on their Magritte inspired snowmen this year.
    6th - Labyrinth/Brian Froud inspired Goblins.

4. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I can name two of the best art projects I did. The first one was when I was student teaching for 7th grade. I teamed up with the Social Studies teacher and we planned to team teach for Black History Month. We had the students create picture story books (with student art work) and then go to the elementary school and read their stories to different classes. The second one was when I taught high school English. I had my students create their own "To be or not to be" soliloquy and create a collage of what represented them best. They came out amazing.

5. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 30, 2009

Thanks these are great! Keep them coming!

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I think my best art project I ever did, so far, was an integration project with a fifth grade teacher.

They were studying colonial America and were looking at toys they had to use in that time period. We made Jacob's Ladders together using wood, ribbon, tacks, and paint. We talked about tinting and added the art portion in by making a saturation scale through the four blocks.

It was really neat and the kids loved having their 'old-fashioned' toys to walk away with.

7. Tongo

Tongo Rookie

May 23, 2010

The best proyect I ever did was with preeschool kids and I did it teamed up with their reading teacher. We read a tale about a tiger and a mouse. The kids copied a part of the text practicing their handwritting and after that we illustrate it with a different technique every time. I took us 7 classes to finish the proyect. It was awesome since every art class wasnt disconnected but we were slowly making a book. At the end, the kids had made a whole book by themselves, from copying the text to illustrate every page and design a hard cover. THe little ones where SO proud of themselves!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2010

I think our Mother's Day project turned out to be pretty neat. Basically the students came up with the idea semi on their own. So it meant that much more. I just gave their idea a little more structure and viola, they came out beautiful. Basically they went through a bunch of magazines to find pictures that remind them about their mom or things their moms like. With each picture, they had to tell me why they chose it. Then they glued it on a wooden box like a collage. We put some sparkle glitter glue on top and put some decompage paste on it. They came out beautiful and meaningful. They put their other idea inside it. (They made a headband for their moms).

I think this was the best for me this year not because it was particularly creative but because it was meaningful, useful and a lot of thought went into each picture they selected.