best and worst

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by MissR, Mar 3, 2010.

1. MissR

MissR Comrade

Mar 3, 2010

Hi, I'm moving 1st to 3rd next year! I'm scared and really excited.

Can you tell me your favorite thing and the hardest thing about 3rd grade?

In first grade the best is how much they grow from practically babies to readers, the worst is how needy and not-independent they are (esp. begin. of year).

:thanks:

3. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Mar 6, 2010

Third grade is so much more independent than first! But they still need you to show them how to do things.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 6, 2010

I taught 3rd for 3 years and love the grade. There isn't too much that is 'worst'. Maybe that they get silly over farting, boogers, and gross stuff. The best? Many are fluent readers and you can really get into more literature with them. They are scared by multiplication, but you can make it fun and they feel so proud when they master it. They are still little kids, but they don't need you to tie their shoes or wipe their noses. It is a great age.

5. MissR

MissR Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

Thanks. :) I definitely love the little ones, so my teaching license doesn't even go past 3rd grade, but I think I'm going to really like that extra bit of independence they'll have! I've only taught preschool and 1st grade in my five years of teaching, though, so I'll have to learn what 3rd graders think is funny, or too babyish, and all that stuff!

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2010

First of all I have to say that your first day of school next year will feel like a gift. I remember the 1st weeks of 1st grade and how I was exhausted until Thanksgiving. In 3rd you really hit the ground running.

To me the best parts are:
    -independence
    -getting sarcasm and higher level humor
    -being able to explore content areas deeper
    -their creativity
    -their growth...much like 1st grade when everything is new 3rd graders grow a TON. They typically come in writing simple paragraphs with that big handwriting little kids have and leave writing essays in cursive. I really miss 1st and 2nd grade, but I do love 3rd

The WORST:
    -without question TESTING! High stakes testing at 8 and 9 years old. UGH!
    -a close 2nd would be potential drama. I have found that your crop of girls totally will define your year. If they are easy going and laid back it'll be a good year. If they are into the drama it's a challenge. Third grade boys are a piece of cake.

7. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Mar 24, 2010

Even though I teach 4th, third will always be my favorite. Kids are potty trained and they still love you and have a tremendous sense of humor. You will love it.