Best Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cby1224, Aug 16, 2012.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Aug 16, 2012

I mostly lurk around here, just reading and trying to learn from each of you. I wanted to throw a question out there for anyone who has time and is willing to answer. As some of you know I am a hopeful career changer (Secondary Ed. Bio/Chem) and I was wondering, what is the best piece of advice you can give me about being prepared for the interview season next year?

Any and all answers are appreciated in advance :)

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 16, 2012

Be yourself. Someone on here told me "Let your personality shine through." Let your passion show. And do some homework.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

You're in a VERY fortunate position if you hope to teach chemistry. Biology is a bit tougher to get a job in, but being able to teach both will make you an outstanding candidate. Just make sure you have someone review your cover letter before submitting, and be yourself, and I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a job. Chem/physics is probably the best market in my state, and from what I understand, other parts of the country as well. Play up your experience in industry (assuming that is the career you're changing from).

5. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Aug 16, 2012

I have been talking to the P's in areas that I would accept a position. I know of a few "expected" open positions for the 2013-2014 school year and I am continuing contact with those P's. I do have my 7-12 biology license and I am trying to pass the chemistry praxis. I am retaking it in Sept and hopefully will pass.

That is great advice about being myself. I did an interview this summer for a biology position and knew it was in sorts a mock interview, because I didn't have my license and I second guessed how I answered most of my question after the interview was over. I will say, in comparison to other interviews I have done outside education, this was one of the most laid back, relaxed interviews I’ve been in. I am not sure if they are all like that though.

I talked to several people on the panel that interviewed and they all felt it was a great interview and the major reason I wasn't hired was because I didn't have my license while other applicants did. They felt like when I had my license, especially my Chemistry license, that I would have a job offer at this school.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

That fact that you are so focused on it now also says a lot about what a serious candidate you will be.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

I was told today by one of the teachers on my interviewing committee that all other things being equal, I was hired because I was the one who she would want teaching her own children. She used the words warmth, compassionate, and flexible when describing my interview.

Definitely be yourself. Genuine, passionate, and show who you are. Be confident in your abilities but show your appreciation of the importance of the job. Be natural. It's a tough place to get to in this market, but if you can shake the nerves and shine, you will get hired! It took me several interviews to shake my nerves this past summer, so apply for everything, even if you think you may not get it or want it--the experience is beneficial and can sometimes lead to the principal referring you for other jobs. You can do it!