Best Advice for a New Teacher

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Gopher4, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I am hosting the new 4th grade teachers for our district. I will be helping them prepare for their first day/week and getting their room organized. I was just curious what some of you felt was the best advice you received as a new teacher. Thanks for sharing.

One piece I received was "there are no dumb questions". If you don't know, ask someone.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

1. Know your content. You can't fake it, even for 4th graders. And they're not going to respect a teacher who doesn't know more than they do.

2. Admit freely to errors. No child in the history of mankind has EVER bought the line "I was just checking to see whether you were paying attention."

3. Begin as you mean to go on. Be their teacher, not their buddy, not a prison warden. From day 1 to day 180, be yourself: kind, caring, but no pushover. Be consistent. Kids place great value on "fair."

4. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

Great advice Aliceacc!

Also, I learned to keep only ONE calendar! At first I tried to keep two, one that fit in my purse, etc. and it didn't work and I would miss things! Being organized is key!

Also, like Aliceacc said in her number 3... begin as you mean to go on. I'll add that it is easier to "lighten" up than to "tighten" up.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

* overplan - I think the hardest thing my first year was knowing how long lessons would take to teach

* a lesson from a first year teacher in my building a few years ago, get approval from admin prior to sending out information to parents

* allow yourself to make mistakes and then move on . . . learn from your mistakes but don't beat yourself over them

* don't forget to enjoy what you do :)

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2010

Make up a sub folder and have at least two days of stand-alone lesson plans. While you should always have "real" plans, it may be hard for a last minute sub to follow them. New teachers tend to get sick with all those new germs!

Be prepared, but flexible.

Offer ideas, but also listen.

Be creative, but don't be afraid to use a lesson out of the text sometimes. Creativity takes time!

Fourth graders love to help; they can change bulletin boards and do classroom chores before school starts and on rainy recess days.

Fourth graders do not know how to "study".

Read aloud every day!!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2010

Laugh with your kids every day.

8. pbrown

pbrown New Member

Jul 3, 2010

The best advice that I can give to a new teacher is to establish a respectful relationship with your students. Relationships make the school year run smoothly, with students and parents.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2010

*Be consistent with any behavior plan and HAVE one!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2010

I agree 100%.

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

My own advice...:)
    -REMEMBER! You are dealing with future team players & leaders!
    -Let your :love: to be a GREAT teacher show!
    -Be happy, relax, have fun, be cool
    -Be honest and genuine
    -Make learning fun!
    -TREAT EVERYONE THE SAME. Don't play favorites
    -KNOW your stuff; don't BLUFF! :eek:
    -Tell & show them you care
    - Last, but not the least, Don't let them see you sweat;)
    Rebel1

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 3, 2010

I could go on and on and on, but the biggest thing for me has always been organization and deadlines. There's SO MUCH that needs to be turned in everyday that if you don't have a system you'll drown (sadly, I'm still looking for that system)

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2010

Fourth grade students need to be nurtured, yet challenged. Try to extend your instruction beyond the ordinary, required curriculum. This age group relies on interaction, hands-on instruction, experiments, delegation, and problem-solving strategies. They are coming into their own. Don't EVER criticize them for what they cannot accomplish; perhaps you are expecting too much. Yet do not underestimate them, either. Keep the communication open with parents, but do not let them manipulate you. Students do not need to be manipulating you, either. You are a Jack of All Trades as an intermediate elementary teacher. Remain positive, and always believe you are exerting your absolute best.

14. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

I am a new 4th grade teacher so this has helped. I have typed up my classroom management as far as behavior, discipline, rewards, etc. Pretty much typed up all that I expect and more from my class. I am also getting activities for my first week of school.

I am mostly nervous about not having a curriculum by orientation. Our reading and math are pretty scripted, but how am I supposed to create a curriculum if I don't know my schedule or if we team-teach? What should I do?

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

You should not have to create the curriculum; your district should have this. You will have to create lessons to teach the standards.

At your interview - did they tell you if you are self-contained or departmentalized?

Don't panic; a lot of people get hired right before school and pull it together.

16. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 9, 2010

-be consistent
    -think ideas through before you implement them. new ideas are great but make sure you have the time, resources, and energy to execute it successfully
    -classroom management is key. you can have the best lesson on the face of the earth, but if your kids are not calm/focused, they will not learn the objective.
    -sense of humor... it establishes a special relationship with your students.

17. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 9, 2010

Be yourself. When anyone offers you advice or a system that works for them, ask yourself if you feel comfortable explaining it or implementing it. If it doesn't reflect who you are, it won't work for you.

Be excited. If you're not interested in what you are teaching then the kiddos won't be either. Learn the tidbits that aren't in the book - especially for history. Embrace the subject you will teach that you like the least and find something about it that strikes your interest.

Plan well and keep your plans I do my planning for the year in a calendar - that way I can mark all the dates that interupt/affect instruction such as school holidays, field trips, etc. I like to make a quick note at the end of the day when something has gone really well, or fallen really flat :). I know a lot of people type their plans, but I think/reflect best when I right by hand. Hazard of being old :) - you can use google calendar to do the same thing if you prefer typing and be able to access your plans from anywhere.

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

I started using a calendar this year too. Just a quick jot for the day. My plans I type. It really helped me see the big picture

19. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

These are great ideas. I am starting my first year to officially be a teacher. I will be teaching a combo 4/5. Many of these tips will help for both grades.