Benefits ?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by mnteacherguy, Jul 31, 2006.

1. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Jul 31, 2006

I'm just curious...as my new teacher orientation where they are going to explain insurance isn't for another few weeks.

In the contract we get $550 dollars a month to pay for any insurance we elect to have (we are required to sign up for individual dental, health, and life insurance). Will this $550 cover all three of those policies?? I have no clue about insurance costs.....Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

Do you have to find individual insurance, or do you choose from a menu of the school's group policies?

4. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Jul 31, 2006

Menu of school districts group policies

5. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

Most school districts offer a free plan that has a high deductible, then they offer plans that you pay a premium for, but those have lower deductibles. I am single, and the most that I've seen a monthly premium is $60 a month. I pay about $20 which is dirt cheap --- one of the great things for teachers!

My life insurance is locked in at the rate of my age. Since I am young (24), I pay about $30 or so. This rate won't change as long as I don't change how much life insurace I have.

I also have disability which is based on salary. I think it's about $50 for disability.

In short, disability goes by salary and life insurance goes by the age you signed up for, and it gets locked in at that rate forever.

I think that the amount they gave you will suffice, but your district may have higher rates.

Hope this helps! :)

6. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I will be taking the insurance myself and the wife will keep the kids. Very expensive to have the whiole family on the school districts plan. We are signing up Friday and as someone mentioned, there is an upgrade which will cost me about 20 bucks a paycheck. Well worth the extra money. My district is basically paying about $5000 per teacher for the whole year.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2006

My district pays for my coverage but I pay another $600 to cover my son and husband (health and dental). Our vision benefits got cut. I also pay extra into my life insurance and retirement. So, when I get my check, it sure looks small.

8. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

I am pretty sure that the stipend they are allowing will be sufficient. If you are overly concerned about it, call the HR office. Tell them that you are trying to "wrap up" as much before orientation as possible. They'll walk you through it as much as possible without being overly redundant.

9. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Aug 2, 2006

Ms. Chandler where do you teach at in LA? I teach in Union Parish and was just wondering if those benefits would be the same for me.