Benefits and working conditions survey

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by prekteacher2007, Aug 2, 2007.

1. prekteacher2007

prekteacher2007 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I'm just curious.....
    How much vacation did you get the first year?
    Do you get breaks to go to the bathroom?
    How long is your lunch, and are you allowed to leave the building?
    Do you have health insurance?
    Do you get a discount for your child's fees if they go to the same school?
    Do you get any other benefits? Thanks!

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

I'll fill out on the job I quit ;) I made it two months, which is pretty common at that center. A few teachers have been there for years, but most of the staff has a really high turnover.

Vacation- I believe it's 1 week after 1 year, 2 weeks after 10 yrs. If the center is closed for a holiday, you of course get it off, but that's unpaid.

Bathroom- Hold it as long as you can, and then wait another half hour ;) Once a supervisor was watching my kids so I could go, and she wanted me to use the class br so I didn't have to go down the hall. Eeewww!

Lunch- 1 hour, whenever they wanted to give it to you. Come in at 8, and you might get lunch at 9. Different time every day, so you can't make appts for that time.
    There was no where to stay in the building. I would leave, drive 20 min home, eat really fast, and then have a 20 min drive back. Some teachers would sit in their car (yucky in 110 degree heat). You can't eat your own food at the center- so if you get your lunch first thing, you might be really hungry by the time you get off

I think they pay half of your insurance after two years?

I don't know about discounts, since I don't have kids yet.

Other benefits- hmmm...ummmm...yeah....can't think of any.

I think it's really sad when management and parents don't respect the teachers, give them any control over their classrooms, or treat them as people. It's not fair for the students. It's not fair for the 5-6 year old teacher to be sent to the two's room for an hour, without even being told what's on the lesson plan, or the kids' names.

I hope someone has a better post than mine- give me hope for my chosen career, please!

4. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

1, ONE WEEK AND MAJOR H-DAYS
    2, WE CAN GO WHEN EVER WE NEED TO
    3, HALF HOUR AND NO MUST STAY IN BUILDING
    4 , NOT HEALTH HUSBANDS HAS IT
    5 YES GET DISCOUNT
    6, FREE LUNCH, USE OF COMPUTER AND COMP TIME

5. twinmom

twinmom Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

In my school on Long Island, we don't get vacation time- HOWEVER, when school is closed for holidays and weeklong vacations, we are off and get paid as if we were working. We are also off July and August, but do not get paid for those months. We can opt to have some money taken out of our checks during the school year and get that money in June so that it is almost like getting paid over the summer.

We can go potty whenever we need to, but most of us wait until our 1/2 hour break or lunch.

We get 40 minutes for lunch, same time each day and can leave our building.

We can opt for health coverage, but we pay a little bit for it based on our salary.

We get paid very well for what we do- esp when you consider that the school year is really on 182 days. I have no complaints!!:)

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

How much vacation did you get the first year? None, and if I don't work (such as over winter break, or if the district closes for a snow day) I don't get paid.
    Do you get breaks to go to the bathroom? Yes as long as my assistant says she doesn't mind.
    How long is your lunch, and are you allowed to leave the building? Supposed to be one hour, but that hour will be my lunch and the only prep time I have, so I think I'll be lucky if I can scarf down half a sandwich! And yes I think technically I will be allowed, though I don't see how it would actually be possible- lunch is new for us this year.
    Do you have health insurance? Not at ALL.
    Do you get a discount for your child's fees if they go to the same school? No but I don't have kids.
    Do you get any other benefits? Nope, not even sick days.

I don't like to think about these parts of my job because they make me cranky! The rest I enjoy, so I try to focus on that.

7. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Well I taught pre-k full time:

Vacation: 2 weeks (b/c I'd been there 5 years I was up another wk)

Restroom: Anytime, I had an aide so it wasn't a big deal

Lunch: When the kids were resting for 45 minutes. My aide and I took turns leaving every other day so we'd get our full 45 minutes and be able to leave the building. The day it was our turn to stay we brought our lunch and worked on planning stuff.

They offered AFLAC insurance the last 2 years I was there, but I used hubby's military. Not sure how it worked-

Discount: Half price for your own child

I now teach 1/2 a day (3 hours) only 4 days a week. (Heavenly, I say that I'm semi-retired after my 7 years of full time) It's my 4th year of part time preschool and it's awesome!!

We are paid monthly. We can either choose 9 or 12 months. I do the 12 months. We get paid over all holidays and breaks. (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring Break) We get to take 5 days off while being paid, anything after that you are docked your days pay. It's not a fortune, but it's not too bad for being half a day either. Where I work pays more than any of the other 1/2 day programs in the surrounding counties. It's in a FABULOUS location with GREAT neighborhoods and amazing parent involvement!!!

Restroom: Anytime. I have an aide half the day. If she isn't with me and I need to go, I can stick my head out of my door and yell at her across the hall. (I share her with my across the hall neighbor)

Lunch: None half day, though I usually eat a small snack when the kids do.

Kids: Get half off the tuition of your children in the program.

Benefits & insurance: nope

I LOVE where I work now! The people are amazing, supplies are always there and if it's not I request it and I have it in the next day or two. My boss is fantastic. My aide has become my closest friend. (we've been together the past 3 years) I have 12 kids. Most Moms are stay home in the program and they are amazing volunteers and donate stuff out the wazoo. I couldn't ask for anything better! (Well ok, I would like to make more money again - but I'm happy)

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

Oh, I have to tell you guys the sick day policy- AFTER you have worked there 1 year, you may get a paid sick day after missing three CONSECUTIVE days.

So, if you're sick Thursday, Friday, and Monday, you still wouldn't get a paid sick day Tuesday because the weekend was mixed in there, so the days weren't consecutive. You would have to miss Tues. and Wed. also to get paid!!!!

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

Last center (crappy) / current center (wonderful)

I'm just curious.....

None. 1 week after 1 full year.

10 days (a week at Christmas and a week in August) plus 10 days to use any time and 11 federal holidays. Each year after that you earn another day. So, including holidays, 31 your first year, 32 your second...

Not really, it was a total pain. Each teacher was in a room by herself, so you either had to ask another teacher to bring all her kids over so she could watch yours, or ask the director to come in, and she was a total *&^%! about it. When I worked in the infant room, I had a bathroom in my room (it was the master bedroom of an old house), so I can't tell you how many times I just locked the door and went potty quickly while all the babies were sleeping.

We have 2 or 3 teachers in the room, so they can go whenever they need to. If we have lots of staff out, people may ask me to step in their room while they go.

1 hour, yes, unpaid. At one point I lived a mile from that center, so I just went home for lunch & relaxed, or ran errands. That was great.

Teachers get 30-45 minutes each day, and they can leave the building.

My schedule is different. Some days I don't get a break because I'm too busy covering for everyone else. Other days I take an hour and a half because I've already worked 40 hours that week. I *can* leave the building, but there are many days that I'm glued to the center.

No. Nothing. Nada.

Yes, it's wonderful, and they pay for almost all of it.

Yes. I think it was 50% for first child, 25% for second.

Yes. I think it's 30%.

I think 3 sick days and 1 teacher work day. What a joke. I got a 1% raise after one year.

15 sick days, dental, accident, and disability insurance, retirement plan with company match, tuition reimbursement, transportation subsidy, 8 professional development days, bonuses, and good raises (8% this year!).

10. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

Lead Teacher, full-time

1 week after one year of working.

Of course we can go, but it's often a hassle as we tend to be under-staffed and I never have an assistant. Naptime is the worst because that's when they feel it's ok to have just 1 teacher in every room for the whole 2-3 hours.

30 minutes, unpaid, yes- but with that short of a break, it's always rushed.

Nothing

Not sure, but I think it's minimal. Our center is part of a church, and church members get 5% I believe.

Paid holidays, but most employees do not get that, depending on their hours. Also, I have to fight to get them because the director "forgets".

[/QUOTE]

11. 2BCharged

2BCharged Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

VACATION-- OPERATE ON PUBLIC SCHOOL SCHEDULE
    RESTROOM--AS NEEDED
    LUNCH--WHEN THE KIDS EAT OR GO DOWN FOR NAP/CAN'T LEAVE
    INSURANCE--NONE
    DISCOUNT--10%
    IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT THAT--I PAID FULL AMT.
    OTHER PERKS--NONE

12. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 3, 2007

benefits

We have no vacation time just the summer and other breaks.
    We can go tot he bathroom as long as you find someone to watch your class.
    We get 30 minute lunch and you can leave but who has time?
    We get 5 sick days and 3 personal days per year.
    We have no insurance.
    My kid's tuition is free (kind of a nice benefit). But I still pay registration and books.
    I teach at a Christian School and the spiritual benefits and low stress are well worth it. I teach K-4 with about 16 kids per year.

13. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

1. One week paid vacation after working for one full year.
    2. We can go to the bathroom when we need to as long as we have someone to watch our class.
    3. 30 min lunch, yes we can leave the building
    4. Health insurace is offered, but it isn't very good and it is expensive so I get mine through my husband's work
    5. Since I work at the same center, my child goes for free. The only thing I have to pay for is breakfast which is $1.50 a day.
    6. No other benefits.