Benefit Package for PreK Teachers?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ECE ABC, Sep 14, 2015.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 14, 2015

Hello :)

Hope you all don't mind answering a few questions for me....

I am a former PreK Teacher (6 yrs) & ECE Director (8 yrs). I have worked in Daycare, Private Preschool and Public School (Directors position) and I am currently working as a Special Education Para in a Public Elementary School.

I have been thinking about getting back into PreK, either as a Head Teacher or hopefully a Directors position once again.

My question is about benefits and what is being offered currently. I was lucky enough that at the Private Preschool and Public School I received a benefit package; health insurance, sick days, personal, holidays, etc. even now as a Para I have a great benefit package along with a decent salary...but I am in a public Elementary school.

I have looked into a few things but not only would I be making less than my Para job (less that $15 an hour) but in most cases they don't even offer any health benefits at all.

So my questions are...

What type of environment are you currently teaching in (daycare, private prek or public school)?

What is your role (teaching assistant, lead/head teacher, director, etc.)

What is your benefit package, if any..do you get any type of health insurance or sick days??

Are you on salary or paid by the hour?

Thank you all so much:love::love::love:

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 16, 2015

I'm going to message you; I don't want my info public!

4. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Sep 17, 2015

I am in a private daycare/preschool. We get 2-4 weeks of paid vacation time per year depending on how long we have been there. We have an additional 15 paid days off per year when the school is closed. We get two weeks of sick time per year and it goes up to three weeks. We have health insurance including dental and vision as well. When public schools are closed for winter weather, we are closed as well and get paid for that. We are all "lead teachers" in the classrooms. There are no assistants as each teacher shares in the workload.

5. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 21, 2015

Thank you for the responses, its good to see that they do offer benefits on the Preschool level :)

6. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Sep 23, 2015

It varies GREATLY. The first center I worked for (for profit center), offered no vacation, stopped offering medical (this was pre-obama care), limited raises...only good thing was being closed (paid) the week around Christmas.

At my current center, we get 40 hours of "sick pay" (required by the city of Portland), plus 1-3 weeks vacation depending on length of employment. We have great medical, 11 paid holidays, an additional paid day off for your birthday, public transit discount passes, etc. It's also a non-profit and we get paid quite a bit higher than industry standard, with yearly raises. Oh! And we work four 10's so you get an extra day off every week!

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 27, 2015

It does very greatly, it always has...

I have noticed that the few places I looked into really don't offer the security I have as a Para in the public school system, as far as the benefits and even now my salary, which is very sad to me. Preschool teachers should get more respect than that.

I am still surprised because I thought, I hoped........it would have changed in the past 10 years.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2015

As others have said, it depends where you are. I taught a preK program in a high school setting and was s member of the Union. Had to adhere to the contract where it benefitted the school but wasn't offered the same salary steps, benefits, etc as the high school teachers. Read your contract. (I left after a year!)

9. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 27, 2015

I'm lucky that I have a contract with the board of education and we are part of a great union, they are still in negotiations for our new contract, still waiting to find out how much our increase is..we were already told they are willing to go up a bit (an additional 1.5 %, we already get 2%) and i already know insurance is going up:(

10. goofydad21

goofydad21 Rookie

Oct 3, 2015

I've been a pre-K teacher for a year now. I'm full time and get I think about 40 hours of vacation time here in my first year. they offer a benefits package but since I'm a college student and not yet 26 I'm still on my parents insurance as it's way more comprehensive. I get paid by the hour as does everyone except the director in our center and I'm in a room with another lead and a part time assistant. :)

11. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 8, 2015

Low pay and poor or no benefits was the reason I finished my education to teach elementary.

My first school was private and I made 11:50 an hour, I got 2 weeks paid vacation that would have gone up to 3 after 5 years and we got I week sick pay that rolled over if it wasn't used. We didn't have insurance but we did have 1000 in medical reimbursement that I used to cover dental since with my low pay I qualified for state insurance anyway but it didn't cover much in terms of dental. I also got paid holidays. I got laid off from this place during the economic down turn

My next center was also private and a pre-k through 5th, though I had a degree and though I was alone and providing the sole instruction for my pre-k class for half the day I was considered an aide and I only earned 10.50. I had no health benifits at all and no paid vacation (they paid us while we were off during the Christmas holiday and called it a paid vacation though most of the days would be paid holidays anyway so it was a max of 4 paid days off when you took out the days that were holidays) with 5 sick days a year that didn't roll over. I did get paid legal holidays.

I transferee to being a para for the elementary side of the school and I hung in until I finished my credential so that I could get a job with real benifits, a living wage, and a contract.