Belly Button Piercing

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Aug 5, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

So, your daughter wants to pierce her navel. Your response? At age ten? Twelve? Fourteen? Sixteen? Eighteen?

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

My 22 year old got hers done at 18 so she was old enough to sign for herself. We did not say much. A couple months ago, she showed me that she was letting it close.

4. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 5, 2010

I wanted mine done when I was young. My mom said I had to wait until I was 18, which was a few years away, so I did. I complained about it, especially because my friends were getting it done, but I survived. I was in college and the day I turned 18 I went to the piercing shop and finally got it done. I still have it but I don't even realize it is there anymore.

I think it was good that I had to wait until I was 18, and I would certainly hope that no place would pierce a 10 or 12 year old.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

My oldest daughter wanted both a piercing (not ears) and a tatoo since the age of 16 to which we replied "You will have to wait until you are old enough to get them by yourself." She has both and got on her 18th birthday. Like chem, not much you can say when they are old enough to get them legally.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

I thought the "you're living under my roof, my rules" idea applied for eighteen year olds still in the home. :)

I ask because I am so beyond frustrated—and to be perfectly honest, disgusted—by the sixth and seventh graders who have them. I learned of another student today with hers pierced. She's twelve.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

10: no
    12: no
    16: no, wait til you're 18.
    18: knock yerself out!

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 5, 2010

:yeahthat:

9. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 5, 2010

My parents signed for both my sister and I to have our belly buttons pierced many years ago. I was 17 at the time and my sister was 16. We both still have our piercings today. They say it will grow in, if you take the piercing out, so I don't think it's a big deal.

10. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 5, 2010

I should add that I don't think it's appropriate for anyone under the age of 16.

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

Middle schoolers?!?!? Wtf?!?

That's just horrible.

My girls won't have a choice...it's no until you are in college.
    I don't want to pierce their ears either until they are old enough to care for/clean them by themselves.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

My 10 year old asked about getting a second ear piercing. (Turns out she was asking about getting more earings, not another piercing.)

I haven't stopped laughing. Suffice to say, my answer was "NO!!"
    Bellly button?? Not a chance.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

Our daughters must be just alike. Mine got her bellybutton pierced and a tattoo on her foot on the same day. At 18, you cannot say much but now I think she is seeing mom and dad may have been right. She let the bellybutton close and it looks decent but she graduates next year in elementary education. She has to find shoes that cover the tattoo because her college will not let it be seen while she is in the classroom.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

First off, wow to 12 year olds having it done! Although so many of the freshmen in my school have tattoos I suppose many have bely button rings also but I don't see them.

Before 18 I won't let my daughter have a tattoo or piercings in anything other than her ears. And at age 8 I'm not allowing ear piercing yet either. She needs to be at least 10 (though I tell her 12 when she asks in case I feel at 10 she's not ready).

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

I would not let them get belly button piercing until they were 18 but both my girls got double piercings and the cartilage pierced at 14. I do not know why I thought was the difference but I did. Both still have a cartilage piercing but let the 2nd holes in their ears close.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

I think 16 is fine. I had my belly button pierced in college-it never occurred to me to get it done before then, nor did I think to tell my parents before or after. I really really loved it, but it got caught on-of all things-my prize chest filled with school supplies as I was taking it out of the car a few weeks ago. I thought it was going to rip my belly button off. I took it out but will probably put it back in after we have our kid. To be honest, there's not a lot we'll say no to appearance wise along as it's reversible. Dh had colored hair all through high school, and I still have it!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

Quite a few of Lauren's friends are getting theirs done--at 16. She hasn't asked, and I'm not sure what I'd say. I know that, for the girls on the soccer team, they do cause a concern when games are physical. I'm pretty sure, however, that her dad would give a resounding, "No", so I may not have to decide.

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

Last year 1 of my students got hers pierced after 1st marking period as a reward for getting good grades. She's one I will keep worrying about. Did I mention that I teach 6th grade.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2010

I got mine pierced at 17, my mom went with me. For my kids, it will be when you are 18 and not living at home.

20. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

I took mine out 6 years ago and it never closed. I hate how it looks. I also had a lot of trouble with it getting infected. I wanted it so bad and it turned out to be a pain.

21. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

The bellybutton piercing was definitely the most painful. I have 5 piercings in my left ear, and 3 in the other... and a small tattoo (kanji symbol of love) and my bellybutton piercing hurt more than any of those.. I took it out, and now have a permanent scar. I wouldn't want my kids to get it. But I have to admit, the scar is not too visible with the naked eye, so, I think it's better to get piercings than to get a tattoo, which is permanent.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

I'd let a girl at 16 if she was mature enough to take care of it herself. Though, I always call those "portals to infection" because that's really what they are... Then again, she'd also have to be able to pay for it herself with money she earned.

I got my ears pierced in 5th grade, but didn't like changing them (it scared me... weird, I know) so I let them grow up. I got them pierced again when I was 20. I got a tattoo about a month later. Now I want another tattoo, but I never remember to wear earrings...

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

I agree about the ears. They're cute, but I don't like when babies ears are pierced-I think they should have a choice whether they want it or not. I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 13, but didn't do it until I was 16 because of being involved in sports.
    My mom wanted to make sure it was my choice and I could take care of it. I didn't hurt me any to wait.

I got my cartilage pierced when I was probably around 19 or 20 and my mom still didn't like it. I've tried to get my ear lobes pierced a second time, but my ears are too small.

I think piercings are better than tattoos for younger kids, since most of them will close up if you take them out. But I really think you should be 18 before you get anything besides ears pierced.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

For my own daughter, it's when you're 18. My niece got her navel pierced when she was 14 and a tat when she was 16.

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 5, 2010

I have boys, so I have a different set of issues, but, as a teenager, I had 7 holes in one ear and 5 in the other. Those were all done between 16 and 17, except for the first set, which was done when I was 3 days old. When I was 18, I had my belly button done.

I still have 3 holes in each ear (matching), and the belly button, though I rarely wear earrings. I guess I had them in long enough, because those three holes never close. The jewelry stays in my belly button, and I almost never think about it.

I guess, if I had girls, I wouldn't care much about ear piercings, but body piercing and tattoos would have to wait until they were 18 (whether or not they lived under my roof).

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

Multiple ear piercings are in a completely different category, in my opinion, from belly button piercings. It's more sexual/sexy...again, in my opinion.

ETA: Allow me to add, I think the young girls I teach view them as being sexual in nature.

27. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

:yeahthat: (My niece will probably do the same as yours. )

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

I just went to get another cartilage piercing last month. The guy on the phone asked how old I was. I guess they have a lot of younger people come in with parents. I was glad they looked at my ID though-some places ignore the age requirements.

29. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

The rule that I had growing up was if it needed parent permission, I had to wait until I was 18. The only exception to this was ear piercings. My mom had my first set of holes pierced when I was 10 months old and she pierced my second set when I was 7 years old (she had gone to cosmetology school, so she had the gun and everything). I find that the first set of holes pierced in my ears do not get infected nearly as much as the second set does, I'm not sure if that is due to how long the first set was pierced or what the deal is.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 5, 2010

I find body piercings totally inappropriate for young girls. I think there's some room for a judgement call by the parents around 16, but before that, no way.

31. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

So am in the minority in telling my daughter that she couldnt get a tat or piercing until she graduated college and was out of my house????

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 5, 2010

I agree 18 sounds like a good age or out of the house.

I had my tongue pierced at 25. Why I don't know, my friend was having her done so I went with her. I took it out at 28 when I started working in a K classroom. I still have the scar on my tongue. My mom let me get my ears pierced at 10 yrs old and at 19 or maybe 20 my friend pierced the top of my left ear. THAT HURT A LOT!

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

Terp, my daughter would have to be out of the home.

34. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 5, 2010

I had my navel pierced at 19. Even though I was meticulous about keeping it clean, it was infected about 80% of the time. Eventually, my body rejected it to the point where it grew out. I remember it clearly...I had been sitting down and when I stood, the ring fell to the floor. I had it for a little over a year.

Therefore, in answer to your question:

At 10 - no
    At 12 - no
    At 14 - no
    At 16 - no
    At 18 - you'll be paying for it by yourself and I don't want to hear one word about infection....if you think you're old enough to make the decision, then you're old enough to deal with whatever consequences come your way.

35. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

Yep :) although she did try to please her mommy abit :) She knows I really, really didn't want her to get a tatoo at all so her tatoo is on side and in regular clothes not visible at all. Her belly button is the only piercing she has and I am still not sure why she really wanted one so badly. My daughter was away at college when she did both of these things. She turned 18 after she started college.

36. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2010

Under 18 = No.

Over 18 = Do whatever you want, but I retain the right to tell you how stupid it looks.

37. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

My daughter who is 21 got hers done at 18. JustMe, I'm not sure if you have teenagers or not.....its a very stressful time.....LOL! I've got one more to get through (she's 9) and I keep telling my husband I'm not sure if I'll make it.

Mind you, my teens have all been pretty darn good. We live by the philosophy of "if you are still living at home, then you still live by our rules".

On the other hand, though, my beefs were more about what time they came home, were they drinking when they were with friends, using inappropriate language, etc. All of my teens have curfews of 10pm. If they get part time jobs to show their responsible and earn good grades, then they can stay out until 11pm. No parties, disrespect, etc. My 21 year old is in nursing school and still comes home at a decent hour.

My point is that, sometimes, you have to give a little and let them experience life, make their own decisions, etc., when it is the decisions that are not harmful.

38. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

I had mine done at 14 w/out parent consent. I said that my parents wouldn't mind, and they did it! It fell out a couple of months later, and I let it close up because it wasn't worth the hassle.

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

I don't have any children. :)

I agree...you have to let them do a certain amount and living and learning. [Just not at twelve by allowing them to pierce their belly button.] Giving my child those opportunities and responsibilties in life would would be incredibly hard for me. Scary!

40. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

From my perspective (I don't have kids), I would not get my child a tattoo until they are a very mature 16 year old or when they are adults. I may let them get their ears or noses pierce in middle school because it closes back but I wouldn't let them get their belly button pierced because of the location. I guess what I am saying is- I would do it by a case-by-case basis.

Also, I will just going to politely agree to disagree about the "not getting a tattoo when a child is living in the parent's household even though they are 18". It's not going to detain some kids to not get a tattoo. They are just going to hide them from the parent. I have a younger friend (20's) who has this beautiful and big fiery phoenix on her back even though her dad disapprove of tattoos. At the time she got the tattoo, she was living at home. When I visited her and her family, she told me to make sure to not tell her parents. :mellow::confused: The phoenix represented a rebirth of her life because she had been through a lot (she was raped- which her family didn't and still don't know about it) Side note-She is a good point in her life right now

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2010

My mom took me when I was an infant to get my ears pierced. She took me to have a 2nd ear piercing when I was in 6th gr I think. I never wanted a belly button piercing. But I personally think it's less of a deal than a tattoo.

What does everyone think about tongue piercings? Not for me & I'd hope if I had a daughter that she won't want it either. Same w/ nose piercings.