bellwork

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 10, 2014

I am required to have a bell work activity for when my students come in my room to start science class. I have tried doing this in many ways but I can not find anything I am thrilled with. I have tried journaling and I have also had multiple choice test like questions. I need a method that will take the students 2-5 minutes and I can issue a grade for without being overwhelmed by 120 papers. I also use interactive notebooks so if there is an idea that fits in with that, it would be great.

How do you handle this?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 10, 2014

I do journals a couple days a week, grammar QOTD on white boards, independent reading, and review for test/quiz.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 10, 2014

you have to grade bellwork every day? I have bellwork almost every day but very seldom grade it.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 10, 2014

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-YTkJTGXXrqm9oAVxOASYcSEtuJOwZsuH_BAfrpUb8k/edit?usp=sharing

The trick is to not grade them. Review the questions after 5 or so minutes, go over the answers, then at the end of the week I just toss em. I don't tell the kids that. You can maybe grade like one or two a quarter randomly to keep them on their toes.

I just reward participation points if they answer the questions during our review and dock points if they're wasting time while they're supposed to be working on it.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2014

We call them warm ups, and I simply have a thinking question up on the screen when they walk in. Four minutes to complete, a minute to review the answer, and off to the races. Sometimes that warm up is relevant to the day's lesson, sometimes it is something interesting I found online. It has so-o-o many ways to be used. Grades? Did they attempt it without "borrowing" an answer from a neighbor? Full credit. Did they punt, and just throw garbage out there? Half credit. Did they ignore it? No credit. Some teachers have the question on Moodle, where the answers can be quickly evaluated online - saving trees. I have done something similar with Google drive and sharing. Lots of possibilities. Sometimes I let them create the questions as an activity, and then use the best in the future. They get recognition if their question is one of those used. Having to have the activity doesn't mean there is a single right way to use the time. Keep that grading very simple, unless you are crazy about spending a LOT of time handing back papers and discussing grades.