Bellringers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iowa_Teacher, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

What does everyone think about quote responses as a daily opening activity. I have 3 different writing courses and I thought having them respond to a quote or something every day would be a nice way to open. It would get them writing and I've found that things go smoothly when they know what to do when they come in. Any ideas?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 5, 2007

Quote responses are good, but I wouldn't do them everyday. The kids need some variety.

Another good source of journal topics that are fun and thought provoking is Kids Book of Questions.

I would also mix in some grammar/vocabulary/spelling warm ups, too.

For cool, quick writing activities that can easily be extended in to longer pieces, I LOVE theWrite Brain Workbook. I used this a lot at the end of last year (because that's when I discovered it), and the kids really enjoyed it. Several of the activities are the right length for a bell ringer.

4. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Sounds good. Add to it ethical issues (every now and again) and you should have some wonderful responses.

5. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

When I was in school, my English teacher gave us 2 or 3 choices to choose from for the warm up, sometimes it was how we felt about a particular thing in a book we were reading, a quote, or a current event. I really liked having a choice and I was more likely to write something decent. I think I am going to try to incorporate that into my class as well.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

When I did warm-ups I think I was too concerned about ALWAYS doing something very related to the previous or current day's lesson. I wish I had sprinkled in a little more "fun stuff." One day when we were studying the periodic table I used some puns about the elements on the periodic table ("What do you do to a wrinkled shirt" - "iron") and the kids got a big kick out of it. I think playing games or doing little brain teasers every now and then is a good way to mix it up!