Bellringers for Social Studies

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by tiredteacher, Sep 14, 2011.

1. tiredteacher

tiredteacher Rookie

Sep 14, 2011

Any suggestions for bellringers for 8th grade Social Studies. I am struggling to find anything.

3. Rosy0114

Rosy0114 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

Is it a general social studies class? If it is - u can always do general writing prompts related to the character pillars (or the social skills your school endorses). The American History teacher on my team squeezes in a bunch of map skills like "draw the compass rose and label the cardinal and intermediate directions." Or "Draw the most common map symbols for railroad, school, church, cemetary."

4. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

Or you could do quick survey-style prompts. Top Five Presidents, Top Five American Women, etc. You could invite them to name something they know in history and then say why they think it's interesting or why they remember it. They could write quick biographies of themselves (ie, "Imagine yourself at 50 and write a paragraph describing your life").

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 18, 2011

I just do a few review questions from the day before. Usually 2-3 questions, that takes no more than 5 minutes to answer. It's nothing fancy or unique, but it works well.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 19, 2011

I do this as well with my World History kids. My bell questions last week were

Monday ~ List five important achievements of the Persian Empire
    Tuesday ~ Look at map on page XX and answer #'s 2 & 3
    Wednesday ~ Why was it important to codify laws?
    Thursday ~ read pg XX and answer 1 & 2 (write up about pryamids)
    Friday ~ Of the empires we have studied, which one do you think was most important and why

Each week looks very similar. Our textbook does have several good readings with questions within the chapter that I use for bell questions.

Hope this helps