Bell

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by maebowler, Jul 11, 2006.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jul 11, 2006

I was wondering where you all would suggest I look for a bell. I have seen them in a couple classrooms to use to get the student's attention, but I don't know where to even start to look to find one. Any suggestions?

3. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 11, 2006

You should be able to get one at any teaching store. Online I would check reallygoodstuff.com or lakeshorelearning.com.

4. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 11, 2006

On that same note, I have seen an attention getter that was like a tuning fork but was shaped like a wand. Anyone know where I can get one? Thanks!

5. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Music box

Instead of a bell, I use a music box. I got this idea from a student teacher. I have a small music box that plays music when the lid is open. The children know that when they hear the music, they are to stop what they are doing and look in the direction of the music. it works very well. If the room is noisy, once a couple of people hear it and get quiet, the room gets quiet enough for others to hear it.

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

I have seen bells at a nearby teacher store. I also use a bell to get the kids' attention. :)

7. cmmottau

cmmottau Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I know you asked about finding a bell but have you considered using a rain stick to get to your student's attention. I love them they are calming and really help get everyone's attention.

You can find them at teachers stores or online.

Cathy

8. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

I got my bell at a teacher store. You can also get the type that you hit on the top ( I know I'm not describing that right) at office supply stores.

9. mbboss

mbboss Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

You can get the bell at Staples, Wal Mart, or any other big store. It doesn't have to be a teaching store. It will just be a silver bell, but then you can decorate it however you want.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 11, 2006

I have one of the little hotel bells. (I know that's not the real name, but I always think of Hee Haw and "Empty Arms Hotel!" ) The one I have is painted with school scenes, I got it as a gift. I only use it to get attention while they are working (group work, etc). If I have to call attention for them to get quiet I use a music box. I wind it on Monday and I lift it everytime their noise makes me stop teaching. If there is any music left on Friday afternoon they get free time, if there's not, then they don't. (A time or two I've given an extra wind, and I'll admit, there was a time or two that I held it open while they were out of the room! :D)

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2006

I got my bell at Cash and Carry. They sell food and restaurant supplies.

To get the kiddo's attention, I use the bell, and also I play a special song on the recorder. They kids know that by the time I'm finished with the song, they need to be in their seat.

12. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 12, 2006

Christy F,
    That was exactly what I was thinking of! Thank you!

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

:) You're welcome. I realized when I called it a hotel bell, I should probably find a link! :D

14. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 13, 2006

Just don't use a cow bell!!!!!! The teacher across the hall from me did that and it just about drove everyone on that end of the building crazy---and it didn't work!!! She used it to signal changes as well as to get them to shut up!! One time a sub in her room told me that the kids were loud and one of them said she was supposed to ring the bell and then when they didn't stop that same kid said "you're not ringing it loud enough--we're still talking!!!!!!!!"

15. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2006

EBAY, EBAY, EBAY !!!! I too am an EBAY fanatic!!! You can find anything under the sun on EBAY. I too use a bell to get my kids' attention and it works well. I think I will try the music box idea. That should be a calmer way to get the kids to settle down. Thanks for the idea.:)

16. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

I love the idea of a music box. Great thinking!

Chenelle

17. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 14, 2006

I have my favorite bell. Its from disney- Its TINKER BELL! Its so tiny but the sweetest, high pitch sound!

18. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 14, 2006

RainStick! Those are the best...still have not got one but will do that now! Love them!

19. keeley73

keeley73 Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

I got one as a gift from one of my students. It came from Cracker Barrel and is one of those old fashioned schoolhouse kind. Last year I worked with someone who used a doorbell.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

I have one of those giggle balls. It's a huge yellow smiley face with rabbit ears. At Easter I'll have it on my desk and if I want everyone to look at me while they're working, I'll whack it. It giggles really loudly. They love that one! :D

21. baby wildcat

baby wildcat Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

Office Depot and Staples sell the "call bell", Walmart has them too. When I went to Philadelphia last year I brought back a small replica of the Liberty Bell that I used.
    I love the music box idea (I can relate to the opening it while they are out of the room- how wicked :)
    The doorbell is a neat idea too.

22. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

I found a bell. I went to a Antique Shop. They had a bunch of bells. My grandma and I tried out all the bells and then I choose from the ones I liked the best. I'm sure the owner loved us. They did have a all bell, but I went with a small bell with a wooden handle and metal bass. Was the loudest and smallest. And it was only 1.50!!!

23. kidsarespecial

kidsarespecial Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Great Music Box Idea

What an awesome idea!:D I just sat and looked at the kids when I wanted them to quiet down - it actually worked! The new group I'm getting this year is younger and I'm not sure if they will pick up on my hint.
    I love the music box idea - where can I find a music box...I checked the internet but found nothing....I want something not too expensive...
    Thanks again for sharing the idea!:thanks:

24. educ8or2000

educ8or2000 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

I worked with someone who used small windchimes. They hung from a cabinet and she'd 'swoosh' them with her hand for attention. Seemed to work for her. I'd have to be careful of the pitch though...some of those can hurt your ears! haha

25. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

Loved this idea!

26. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2006

I made one a couple years ago in art. I was an interpreter then and I accompanied the kids to art. Sometimes I just couldn't resist making the projects the kids did.

We took cardboard tubes from the local fabric store (upholstry fabric bolts) and cut it into about 3 feet lengths. We taped the bottom shut with another piece of cardboard. Spiralling down the length of the tube, I hammered nails in making sure the nails weren't longer than the diameter of the tube( so they wouldn't poke out the other side) Then we filled the tube with bird seed --the smaller the seed, the lighter the sound-- about a cup and a half. I took a burnt out lightbulb--kinda big, and taped it into the top half. We used paper mache sculpting material ( looked like paper pulp) and formed an animal's head over the light bulb--the kids had been studying wild life. I papermache'd the tube using brown grocery sacks. The nail heads look like knots on the wood. Last, we painted the head.

I still have mine and I plan on bringing it to my classroom this year!!

27. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

Try walmart. It's actually a jewelry box that plays music when you open it, so you can make it stop by closing it.

28. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2006

29. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  30. baby wildcat

baby wildcat Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

My kids call it "the look" (actually, so does my husband). Another thing I do is I close my eyes and say "I'm closing my eyes and when I open them I want to see... (then I fill it in with whatever behavior I am aiming for). The first time I did this I told them that I had learned a magic trick and I wanted to see if it would work. The amazing thing is that when I close my eyes, no matter what behavior I am looking for, my kids are quiet as little mice - it really is magic!!!