Bell Work

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by aek471, Aug 15, 2008.

1. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

What do you have your kids do for that first 10-15 minutes of the day when you've got kids straggling in and you're trying to take attendance, collect lunch money, etc, etc. In the past, my kids have always worked on D.O.L. or something similar, but I'd like to change it up this year. But of course it has to be something they can do independently after the first few days. Any ideas?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

I didn't realize you were first grade until I read your post. I had just used my MCT and SPMS practice tests and they copied the questions and write the answer to it and then we went over it. Maybe words they can practice them on handouts have them do maybe three or four words. Make or if you have some a handout with math groups and have them count them and write the number for it. Like you have a picture of 6 cats how many cats are their in that group and write the number 6... Hummm dunno gonna have to think about this one. Sorry about not being able to help. If I come up with something else I will post it.

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

I have my students journal on a specified starter when the come in. If they finish early, then they can work on the "Secret Questions of the Day." Students who correctly answer all of the questions of the day receive a smelly sticker. I reveal the answers before dismissal time at the end of the day. They go ga-ga- for smelly stickers! :p

(P.S. The questions are usually based off of language arts, science, social studies, or math)

5. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Honestly, I'm not organized enough to handle the first fifteen minutes with work. I can't handle assigning/monitoring work, doing attendance, lunch money, etc....

I don't do centers anymore, so when my kids come in, they do those activities. It's also a time for them to catch up with class mates, go to the library to check out new books, check out new books for their in-class reading bags (from our in-class library), etc.

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

I love the "Secret Questions of the Day." How many do you give?

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

I am going to do a morning message. I got a book of morning messages from Responsive Classroom. They are interactive and use one piece of paper for the group- so it saves copying. Later you read them during shared reading or read them during morning meeting. We make graphs, they draw pictures sometimes... all kinds of things.

it could say this.

Today is Wednesday, September 10th. Ryan and Kasey are the meeting helpers. What did you have for breakfast?

Eggs? Cereal? Pancakes or Waffles? Something else?

Or it could say:

Today is Wednesday, September 10th. Ryan and Kasey are the meeting helpers. Draw a picture of a spider. (if we have been studying them.)

Or to be harder:

Today is Wednesday, September 10th. Ryan and Kasey are the meeting helpers. How many vowels are in the message today?

After they do that, in my class they will have "wise choice" time. I will put out activities relating to skills (phonics games, math games, etc.) but they can also play with legos/blocks, draw, read, etc.

I am SICK and TIRED of copying worksheets for morning work!!

8. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Thanks Miss Froggy! I'm in the same boat with the worksheets - I'm so sick of copying them and then having to deal with the 25 loose sheets of paper everyday! Thanks for the ideas!

9. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I have them do silent reading. They come in, unpack, and go right into the library to read. It has worked and it keeps them quiet, is beneficial, and I don't have anything extra to photocopy or correct!:2up:

10. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Before first period and the bellringer. We have STOP DROP and READ! They can not do anything else but read or study, or work on homework. We are strict on this most just read and this gives you time to take care of the necessary morning fees, roll, etc.. ;)

11. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I do copy worksheets, I have each child keep a "Morning Work" notebook. Everything, or almost everything we do in the morning is done in the notebook. Therefore, they always know to check the board, grab their morning notebook and get started while I do attendance, money for field trips etc. So we have a set schedule:
    Monday is morning journal~ I write a fun prompt on the board usually about the read aloud we are currently in, about the unit of study in science, writing etc., about a holiday, something going on in the news etc. They use their journals to respond to the prompt.
    Tuesday is math practice which I write on the whiteboard & they copy into their notebooks then answer.
    Wednesday is daily oral language. I write sentences on the board that are grammatically incorrect, missing punctuation, need capitals, sight words are mispelled etc. They copy the sentences by correcting the errors.
    Thursday is more math practice of the concepts we covered that week.
    Friday is BEAR time (Be Excited About Reading). They can read any book in the classroom library of their interest. Sometimes they might have to complete a file folder activity on that day.

No worksheets are copied for morning work. And by having a set schedule of what we do everyday, the kids come in most of the time and already know what they are doing for morning work. Students do their classroom jobs, the day runs like clock work!!

12. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I use Evan Moor's Daily Language Review. Half sheet with editing of sentences, grammar, etc. On the back complete the activity on the board (write numbers, write spell words, do math problems.) We correct together after my jobs are done and the paper goes home. This year we are using Saxon math. It comes with 2 worksheets each day. Front in class and back for homework. One will be used in addition to the lang. review half sheet each morning. This last week was the first week of school so the kids had easy stuff to do and we did the lang. review together. I have several low kids and buddied them with a partner to work together.

13. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I write a morning message. Students come in, put their agendas away, read the morning message and complete the action (if applicable) then they go to their desks until the National Anthem. If they have pizza money etc. they line up in front of where I am sitting on the carpet to take care of this business. I take attendance before the anthem when they are all at their desks.

There are lot of books you can purchase that give you daily morning messages. For example,

Good Morning Class! Today is Wednesday, September 21, 2008. We are going on a field trip today. Do you think the bus driver would like to hear loud voices on the bus or quiet voices on the bus? Print your name under your choice below.

Loud Quiet