bell work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

I am going to be teacing first grade and was thinking of having "bell work" something for them to do while everyone is coming in. Any suggestions on what to have them do, how to use this as an assessment tool etc..... thanks so much

3. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Aug 6, 2002

Have an activity on their desks before the first student comes in. Many teachers use that time for a warm up activity like following directions or journal time. I also used that time for "look books"(I Spy)& magazines on the rug.These activies worked for me as a school librarian while I carded the returned books etc.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

Some of my bell work activities included:
    -addition and subtraction to 20
    -writing the numbers to 1000 - I used paper that I made up that had 2 grids on it so they could get 200 numbers on one side- this was great for the kids to see patterns, etc.
    -problem of the day was also my bell work

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

Do interactive journal writing. Have the students do their own journal entry and have them draw/color a picture about their entry. You would need to make time during the day or after school and read their journal and write 2-3 questions so that students can answer/continue their writing the following day. You'll be the growth that the kids make in their writing because they'll see their teacher actually reading and writing notes to them.

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 7, 2002

I like the above idea because I think it is valuable to the kids, preps them for the first subject of the day, which is generally language arts, and does not require much work for the teacher (which is really the name of my game).

How can I make third grade warm-ups that encompass math facts as well without photocopying dittos or writing for hours on the board? I know a teacher who has really cool math design worksheets, but 30x5= 150 papers A WEEK, just for warm-ups! I am a save-the-trees person and this really bothers me, because the papers are just thrown away.

Any suggestions for math warm-ups that don't require photocopies and are quick for the teacher?

7. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 8, 2002

If you have an overhead projector you could always write/copy them onto an overhead. Then you can project them for the whole class. Maybe you can borrow the other teacher's sheets and make an overhead for each one. Then you will have a collection to use for years to come. And NO trees will be hurt in the process!

Nick :)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 8, 2002

I know a 1st grade teacher who writes a math story problem on the board with some spelling or grammatical errors (few at the beginning more at the end of the year). The students use a half sheet of paper to write down the problem correctly and then to solve the problem. It combines both language arts practice and math practice.