bell work/brain breakfast for grade one

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mrsrooney, Sep 3, 2006.

1. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

Hello, I am planning on introducing "bell work" or "brain breakfast" after a little while with my grade ones. I have only done it previously with 5s and 6s. Any ideas for grade one?

3. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 3, 2006

I always liked coloring sheets...or graphics that they were able to color and cut out...very good fine motor practice...plus they always seemed to enjoy it. Color by the codes are extra practice for reading those color words.

Dot to dots are good...so are basic word searches that go only left to right...I found mine at teacher stores.

Handwriting practice is also good. As is writing spelling words a couple of times...I always had 2 times for Tuesday. :)

Word sorts are also good. I found a HUGE book of word sorts where they cut out the words and glue them in the correct word family. My kids loved doing that as well.

I hope I have given you a few ideas. I think it is wonderful you want your kids to come into your room and get on task immediately. It is a great thing!!! Kudos to you!!

4. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Sep 3, 2006

I use a spiral review book called "Drops in the Bucket". I reduced them and copied 4 activites on one sheet of paper. We do "Drops" 4 days per week and some thing else on the 5th day. That way I save on paper use.