Bell Ringers?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by SocialStudies, Aug 6, 2006.

1. SocialStudies

SocialStudies New Member

Aug 6, 2006

Hi everyone!
    I am a first year social studies teacher (teaching geography to 9th grade and US history to 11th) and I would like to use the bell-ringer system. My question is, how detailed do you get with your questions/ideas that you put on the board? Also, do you get them from a source or create them based on material covered? Do they keep these in their notes or turn them in daily?

Finally, what should be my first day bell-ringer??

As you can see, I have a lot of questions!

3. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I teach 7th grade Language Arts... but might be able to help! I hate the name Bell Ringer, so someone in my school calls them a Sizzler,and I stole the name from them. At least that sounds a little more interesting!

My students complete a Sizzler every morning in their notebook. My kids keep a 5 subject interactive notebook and we have one section just for warm-ups.

I collect the Sizzlers when ever I get a chance or feel like I need to. I always give my students 24 hour notice incase they would like to fix up their notebooks or finish something from when they were absent. I wonder around though each day to make sure the kids are getting something down and not procrastanating!

The topics depend on what I need to go over. Sometimes a Sizzler could be to take out some supplies, turn something in, complete a worksheet, write in a journal, set up a vocab page, or whatever! I leave it open so I can do what I need to! The kids are so use to the routine of doing them- it doesn't matter what it is- they get it done!

Suggestion- Bell Ringers only work if you stick with them and have a good practice. If you do them every day, you will have success. If you skimp on them, the kids don't realize it is something they have to do, and you will have to remind them.

Good luck this year! You are at a great site to get advice! These people are great! :)

4. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 6, 2006

I like the name sizzler.

My questions will either have something to do with the previous days lesson or something that will set the scene for that days lesson.

I agree that it needs to be done consistently. I usually "grade" them at the end of each unit.

The first one is usually something to do with the unit in general. I give them the general topic and they write everything they know. then we put everything on the board and they add ones that they did not have listed originally.

5. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I found a great idea...but I can't remember where..

I use TAKE 5

This is a two sided handout (or students can make their own the first day of each week)

Each day of the week has it's own section labeled with the date.

Every morning students come in and get out their TAKE 5 sheet and complete the 5 quick activities written on the board.

It should take no longer than 15 minutes.

They are to put their sheets in a safe place because I will collect them at the end of each week for a classwork grade.

As students work each day, I circulate and stamp the day's section as my way of making sure they are doing their work. You can adjust the time to fit your needs.

You can even use Take 5 for 1. DEAR --15 minutes, 2. written response, and 3. Find three interesting new words---that's 5 activities. That gives you more time to do what you need before beginning the first lesson.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

Ann2006--I love the Take 5 idea...so many possibilities!

One of the teachers I met at a course this summer used "Breakfast for the Brain" as the title for her bellwork. I think I'll be borrowing this as well.

7. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I like that title too!!
    The most important thing I guess is to keep students engaged with meaningful warm ups for the day or period so that we can do a quick attendance check and still get up and take a look at what they're doing. (Run On Sentence!!!)

You can do attendance while walking around stamping their work....or you can pick a different student each week to be exempt from TAKE 5 and do the stamping for you while you take care of the morning housekeeping stuff.

This exemption can be earned however you see fit but we have to be careful not to establish the morning warm ups as punishment. It should be a pleasure to warm up your brain!! LOl

These can also be used at the end of the day to keep students settled before dismissal. Call it End Take or something!!! LOL
    Create daily Exit Activities that can be done in 15 minutes...review of the day's work. Students must hand them to you before going to their lockers or lining up.

8. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 6, 2006

I too like the Sizzler name for the bellwork/sponges/etc.