Bell Question ideas for MS Reading

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by AMB, Jul 26, 2009.

1. AMB

AMB Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

This will be my first year teaching middle school reading (all 3 grades.) When I taught Comm Arts, my bell questions were usually writing prompts or D.O.L. type activities, which won't really work so well anymore.

I know I'll definitely use them to work in vocabulary and as prompts to discuss whatever we end up reading (I'm still waiting to find out myself!) But I'm trying to come up with ideas for the first few weeks and when we are in between novels, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas or resources?

Thank you!:)

3. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I once used "Thought of the Day" type cards and had the students write about what they thought about it. Sometimes there was vocabulary involved or information about the author of the quote. I bought mine from Really Good Stuff. Good Luck!

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Journal free-writes, review of vocabulary, responding to poems or short passages....

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2009

Write about themselves, their hopes, fears, their favorite books, do they prefer books or movies, their favorite character, a character that is closest to their own personalities, the first chapter book they ever read, who influenced their reading habits ....

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

I do the same as upsadaisy suggested with my high schooler when we are in between units. I have asked

*what would be the theme song for your life and why?
    *what is your favorite book and why?
    *who do you admire the most and why?
    *If you were to write a novel, what would you write about and why?
    *what do you think would be a great opening sentence for a sc-fi novel?

7. AMB

AMB Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I feel like I have to be a bit careful with the writing prompts because I don't want to step on the CA teachers' toes. It's harder for me because I've never taught a class that was *only* reading before, but I've thought about it more and there is no way that I can teach it without doing some writing. I'll just make sure that my writing prompts have a basis in something I'm targeting for reading and I'm sure it will be okay. :)