Being Treated Professionally

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Dec 20, 2017.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 20, 2017

Just a thought I had the other day that I'm curious about - and I'm honestly probably going to step back and just read replies because being a "professional" is so new to me still that I don't know what this would look like for me!

What would it look like to you to be treated professionally?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 20, 2017

That I am the expert in my classroom. Because I know my craft, I know myself, my students and the community of the class. That I have enough education and experience to make decisions based on a little bit of knowledge and the flexibility to change those decisions when more knowledge is gained.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2017

For me it's being treated with respect and professional courtesy. I want to be asked for my input, and I want my input to be considered. Even if my input is ultimately rejected, I want to know that it was heard and considered before being dismissed. I want to be trusted to do my job effectively, especially since there is not cause or concern to believe that I don't or can't do it effectively. I want my hard work and contributions to be acknowledged, even privately. I want to be given the resources and support I need to do my job in the best possible way.

5. MyMothersDaughtersBrother

MyMothersDaughtersBrother Rookie

Dec 26, 2017

I have worked jobs (a hospital janitor type job for one) where I have done other's work. (Well, often times I didn't take my break because I didn't like the social atmosphere.) Of course I got no appreciation because no one knew I did it for them. Similarly, I think teachers put a lot more into teaching than the public knows - even many principals don't know. I know for a fact that some other teachers have helped me and if I didn't say anything, no one else would have known. Teachers deserve a lot of respect. I can say this humbly now, because now I am retired. Finally, I want to add that I have had quiet technical jobs that were so easy compared to teaching.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 26, 2017

I definitely agree with this - as a new teacher, I like having the option to use scripted/premade curriculum for things I'm not 100% familiar with yet (like math, or reading intervention) but I also need the freedom to supplement or go off script if the lessons aren't working for my class. As a starting point they're great; but as the be-all-end-all... it just doesn't help my students.

I actually asked about curriculum and how much it's expected for me to follow it exactly when I interviewed for jobs last summer, and was relieved to hear that the Ps I interviewed with didn't expect 100% compliance with packaged curricula. They were completely understanding of the fact that classes and students are different, and a good teacher supplements or changes methods as needed.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2017

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 26, 2017

Not having complete autonomy in my classroom is reason number 528 why I prefer working in a private school. My administrators and school board members literally say during meetings, “Teachers, as long as you’re teaching the state standards, the students are doing well on the end-of-year tests, and the students are actually learning the material, you are free to teach the standards however you like. It’s your classroom and you’re free to do with it what you will.” This always makes me smile hearing that. :D

miss-m likes this.
  10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 26, 2017

This has nothing to do with private vs public, though I know, as our friend Tyler would say, you are very insecure about working in a private school ;). There are many great public schools that have a similar attitude, and many private schools that may be even more stringent.

AlwaysAttend and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 26, 2017

If we could not derail this thread with something that's been repeated ad nauseam on other threads I'd greatly appreciate it.

My primary question is "What does it look like to you to be treated professionally?"

So far the most common response is simply having the autonomy to teach the way one sees fit in their own classroom without micromanaging or strict guidelines/expectations on use of pre-made curricula.

AlwaysAttend and Leaborb192 like this.
  12. rpan

rpan Cohort

Dec 26, 2017

I want the P to trust my judgement and my teacher discretion in teaching the curriculum. That’s the primary thing for me. Second most important would be for me (and other teachers) to be consulted on issues that affect teachers, especially if it’s on a day to day basis. Third most important is to be supported in my career advancement goals, whether it be to take additional verification, additional responsibility etc.

bella84 likes this.
  13. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Dec 26, 2017

I think it comes down to trust and respect. Fellow teachers and administration should trust you and respect your decisions as long as you do the same to them.

14. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 26, 2017

How it works for my school is that the students grade their students. Once a semester, we are required to hand out questionnaires to students, who then grade us on things like comprehension, adherence to syllabus, interest in subject matter, etc. etc. etc.

After handing them out, the class leader has to collect the questionnaires and hand them to the office staff. Teachers are not allowed to handle them once issued.

If we pass muster, we are granted contracts for the next year. If not, we are canned. At the end of the day, we are granted almost complete autonomy until our students say that we suck. Makes it easier on everybody, and we don't have that teacher in hell who every student despises, but keeps showing up year after year, despite everybody knowing he sucks.

We put the customer first, which means we aren't micromanaged.

Something to consider, perhaps?

15. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 26, 2017

Sounds like a good way to promote rampant grade inflation and a lowering of standards.

I've taught at community college before, and we had these. My evaluations were all good, but I don't think it is a good way to run K-12 schools. I think getting feedback from students is not a bad thing, but it shouldn't be a sole-determiner.

16. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 26, 2017

You're absolutely right about that. However, I'm not going to get away with giving everybody an A, just as I can't get away with giving everybody an F. My assigned grades need to be based on a bell curve, or I've got some explaining to do at the end of the day.

17. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 26, 2017

Anyway, for the OP's question, to be treated professionally means that I am held to the standards of my profession.

If you are being micromanaged, then you have to ask yourself if that's the standard of your profession. If you are given carte blance, then are those the standards of your profession?

We all teach in different areas of the world, but is there a set standard of what it means to be a "teacher"?

What is or are those standards? Are they allowing us to do whatever we want? Can we moon a class for 90 minutes until the bell rings, and that falls completely in line with those standards?

What are those standards that we can define as "professional"? I would say "you can" but our profession is not individual, but rather shared across borders, states, and districts.

So what are those universal standards that define "teacher"?

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2017

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  19. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2017

Where can people go straight from the business world to being an admin? I thought most places pretty much require five years of teaching before being one.

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 30, 2017

I want to be trusted. Frequent walkthroughs with checklists and micromanaging how I implement curriculum does not make me feel trusted or treated as a professional. If I give an administrator any reason not to trust me, then I'm willing to have more oversight. Until then, though, treating me as a professional involves trusting me to do what I've been hired to do without excessive oversight and micromanagement.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2017

Some private and charter schools do not require all administrators or teachers to be licensed or credentialed. Particularly where these types of schools boast a business model, you'll find "community leaders" and "business professionals" serving as administrators and/or board members.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  22. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 30, 2017

Just look at our Sec. of Ed. The ultimate administrator.

23. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 30, 2017

Betsy DeVos... :toofunny::rofl:

:dizzy:

:banghead:

24. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2017

25. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 31, 2017

Y'all are gonna get my thread locked. :tearsofjoy:

Oh well. @Leaborb192 that picture is perfect.

Leaborb192 likes this.