being treated as a ta!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by nyteacher85, Sep 5, 2010.

1. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 5, 2010

I was hired to do a long term sub position for 2 months. I am working in an inclusive classroom full time. I am working with a very experienced general education teacher and feel almost like her teacher assistant! I have never taught before and she has for many, many, years so she obviously is very set in her ways and completely knows what she is doing. I'm a little worried about my role in the classroom, especially since she asked me to do one subject area and told me she would do the rest. I understand that I will be modifying my special ed kids work in the other lessons, but I'm wondering if this is typical of how an inclusion classroom runs.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2010

If your job is to differentiate in the other subject areas, that is what you need to be doing. See if you can schedule some planning time with the gen ed teacher and work out the lessons on a weekly basis so you can plan ahead on how to support the sped kids in the room. Collaborative classrooms can take many forms- some inclusion teachers do take a 'secondary' role to the regular classroom teachers, in other cases the teachers may team-teach content or split up the content areas with each teaching specific subjects. School is just starting- could be this seasoned teacher just doesn't know you yet.

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

Tough position as team teaching would take at least the 2 months that you are there to iron out and then the classroom teacher would have to start all over again. I would tend to agree with the advice already given... see if you can meet regularly with the teacher to go through the next week's worth of lessons and then diffentiate for the students that you are there to help with.