Being Transferred

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChemTeachBHS, Sep 19, 2013.

1. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 19, 2013

It's only the 3rd week of school and this year is crazy. I found out today that effective Monday I'm being transferred to another program in the district. I'm being moved out of general ed/inclusion into the honors academy. I know I should be thrilled but I'm not. I just feel like the timing is all wrong. The teacher they have over there is "being asked to leave" and they want me taking his place. Am I wrong to not want to? I'm leaving in March to have my baby and these kids will have 3 teachers in 1 year. I feel like it's going to be more of a disruption to their education then beneficial. I actually cried at my desk about it. I'm so conflicted. Any advice?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 19, 2013

Hugs to you, and one feels sick at heart on behalf of the students of the teacher being asked to leave: one surmises that the situation there is not pretty in ways that call strongly for the gifts you've got.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2013

:hugs:

5. Melanie Therese

Melanie Therese Rookie

Sep 19, 2013

:sorry:

That sounds like a very upsetting situation. I think your reaction is completely appropriate. I don't have advice for you, but your concern for the students involved tells me you're a very good teacher. Take solace in being good at what you do.

I hope it turns out to be a better experience than it seems right now!

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 20, 2013

We had a similar situation with a class having 3 teachers in the school year- the teacher started off and had to leave in October to have her baby. She was supposed to return in January, but decided to take the rest of the year off - it was her first baby and she wanted more time to adjust. So they had a sub from October to January that had to leave after that time. We hired back a faculty member who had retired a few years ago because she knew the curriculum and everything and she finished up the year. But you could tell the students were effected by it- it was difficult to control them and they were just way behind the other 6th grade class.

Can you bring those concerns up to the administration? 3 teachers in one year stinks. If you can't and they're basically forcing you into this position, try to see this in a positive way that it's time for a new adventure for you :)

7. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks for the support. I met with my director and expressed my concerns. He agreed to talk to the superintdant. Guess what- she wouldn't budge. I'm reporting there on Monday. Wish me luck.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

Good luck, ChemTeachBHS! Enjoy the time you have with your new students!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

Good luck Chem!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

If there's no changing their minds, then you'll simply have to make the best of it.

Go in there tomorrow with the intention of giving them the best possible foundation in Chemistry, in spite of the Musical Teachers routine. I agree with TeacherGroupie... I'm guessing they chose YOU in particular because you have the skills to give these kids the education they deserve.