Being torn because of this one special student :( Plz help me.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by café au lait, Oct 11, 2016.

1. café au lait

café au lait New Member

Oct 11, 2016

Hello everyone,

I've recently start teaching English 40 mins/day for a class of 4 and 5 yrs old.
    There's one student that has been driving me crazy.

- Sometimes, he listens attentively and (too) actively raises his hand to answer my questions
    - Most of the time, he doesn't listen.
    - He acts out when things do not go his way - saying NO! loudy, tensing up the whole body, saying lies and blaming it's others' faults not his, crying (teacher does not call him right away, another student comes to teacher saying that he's being hit by him...)
    - He loses focus very easily (1 minute of tracing letter in a writing book, he stops, looks somewhere else, never looks back at the book)
    - Sometimes he screams or makes continous noise in the class. I can't teach when he's doing that.
    - When I try talking with him one-on-one:
    + 1 time, he started sceaming in the class. I had to stop teaching. I asked him to go out of class to talk with me, but he insisted to stay in class no matter how I say (in serious voice or in loving sweet voice or in calm voice)
    in the end, I sent whole class out and leaved hime alone in the class with me. I asked him " Did you sit nicely in the class?" He said " Yes, I sit nicely today, Kennith hit me... (a.k.a blaming others, telling lies)" and then he claimed " I will sit nicely now" like a robot. Then, nothing changes. Not that day. Not the next days.
    + I tried talking with hime several more time, but the conversation was just like above.

I think he behaves in a very abnormal way, because I also have other naughty students but at least they listen to me. They know when I'm serious. This boy, he doesn't get it when I give him "the srious look". He never listens. Never understands. I can't communicate with him. So frustrated.

Because of him, the peace in class can be teared down in less than 5 mins. I can't teach anything.
    I can't reinforce my rules effectively because of this one special kid. (In other classes, my rules work like wonders.)

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm starting to have trauma thinking about him. :( Please help me.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 13, 2017

He probably needs an IEP or some sort of diagnoses as Special Education if you think it's more than just behavior. What do his parents say about his behavior? I don't think a 1:1 would be the lazy way out since you can't spend all your time on ONE student when the other students need attention too. It's not fair to the others. The only way you'd probably be able to get a 1:1 is having a meeting and some sort of paperwork done.

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 13, 2017

It sounds as if this student is habitually responding to signals as in classical conditioning. I'm not a behaviorist, but sometimes behaviorism does explain situations. I would recommend concentrating on enforcing that he does not hit above the other misbehaviors as this is the most serious problem. Concerning the classroom disruptions, I would recommend journaling in detail anything and everything that you remember about class each day. When I've tried that, little clues of possible solutions suddenly pop out of nowhere. I would also alter the stimulus a bit perhaps with different visuals or activities, but still keeping the routine (since routine is so important for that age). Mr. (Fred) Rogers (an older American TV program on PBS, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood) was a genius at this: every show was different yet the routine was always comfortably the same. For the raising the hand problem, perhaps set a goal for him to wait his turn, then check back with him at the end of the session to see how well he did. (I wonder if he's a bit fearful of the one-on-one counseling sessions; perhaps a more brief session, in the classroom while others are busy on something would be more profitable. Sometimes, previous casual conversations can assist in helping a student be calm during a needed counseling session on another day, conversations like: "I like the blinking lights on your shoes," or "I'm pretending to eat a cookie. Would you like one of my pretend cookies?"). Or perhaps alter how the class responds during direct instruction such as everyone saying an answer, certain rows taking turns responding, everyone thinking the answer really hard without verbalizing, etc.