Being scouted by parents for different jobs?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 19, 2013

There is a parent and I've had one of their kids before, and that year, the parent was apparently impressed with something about me and handed me a business card and wanted to "talk business".

I didn't really think anything of it, and it's been a year and we never talked. Anyway, I have another of their students so I saw him today, and he handed me materials about his company. The student who is much less coy than the parent about the whole deal told me as they left "You'll make a lot more than a teacher's salary here!"

I was honestly left dumb-struck. I don't really know how to react. I guess I will look at the materials, but I like teaching... Does this happen to anyone else?

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 20, 2013

I've had parents offer to provide materials and have one of the doctors or scientists to come and teach the students from their companies, but I was never offered a job.

Apparently I have impressed one of my co-workers enough that she suggested me to a public school enrichment program that takes place in the evening and the person emailed me about the position. That's kind of cool and I'm thinking about applying for it :) (Because I honestly hate myself that much lol... a full-time job, a club once a week, and now I want to do 2-6 hours of evening work too)

4. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

I had a parent offer to help me get a job to follow their kid and teach him in HS.....but I didn't really want to follow that kid as much as I loved seeing him change! :haha:

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2013

Interesting.....is it a multi-level marketing thing? I've had people offer me jobs like those before.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 21, 2013

I've had that last year too! I didn't really want to go because I like Middle School and the other school was a charter so no union and less pay.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 21, 2013

My master teacher offered that to me last year as well. After looking into a little more about this company, it looks like it's starting to look like a multi-level marketing thing, but it's cleverly disguised if it is so I can't be sure... It wouldn't make sense because I know the job of the parent.

8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 21, 2013

I had a parent ask me to do respite for her child once. She said the state would pay me $20 an hour. But, my school district makes us sign something saying that we can not get paid to work with any student who goes to school in the county. That includes tutoring.