Being Quiet in the Hallway

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by njteach, Dec 14, 2006.

1. njteach

njteach Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

Anybody have a tried and true way to keep 24 rowdy 4th graders quiet in the hallway?

Sometimes during the week, I have just half the class and it really works to give quiet ones tickets that they write their name on and put in a jar. Then, at the end of the month, anyone with 10 or more gets a prize. But, with the bigger group, it doesn't seem to work as well.

I've also told them that every time we have to stop and get quiet again, they lose marbles from the class jar.

3. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Dec 14, 2006

I teach 2nd grade and I make my students walk with one hand behind their back and one hand on their lips. They aren't as apt to talk when they can feel their lips moving. I also do the marble jar and if we are standing quietly in line and get a compliment from someone then I will put a marble in for them. Of course, this doesn't work all the time but most of the time it does.

4. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 14, 2006

If my kids start getting too loud in the hallway I make the whole class walk the hallway all the way around the school five times rather than go outside. If they talk, we start that lap over again. I also have a weekly reward for the class if I judge they've "done good" in the halls. Basically I hang it over their heads all week.

5. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Dec 14, 2006

I tell my 1st graders that if someone can't walk quietly in the hall, he/she will practice at recess..by walking around the blacktop 5 or 6 times, quielty.

I haven't had to have anyone practice yet.

6. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Dec 14, 2006

I know of one teacher whose class must collect compliments in order to earn marbles in the jar. I accidentally found this out one day as I passed them in the hall and complimented them on their quiet and orderly line. The teacher said, "That's one compliment!" I asked her about it later, and she told me that's how she gets them to stay quiet in the hall.

7. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

If I have problems with a loud line, I tell them I will be watching for a secret hall walker who will receive a piece of candy if they walk appropriately. Works every time.....even though at my school no one seems to care if they are quiet in the hallway. Just a pet peeve of mine!

8. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Dec 15, 2006

I do the secret person like amelie77, but if that one person stays quiet the whole time, they earn a prize for all of the class. They usually get these "K-bucks" our school uses as a reward. Also, if just one person talks, we'll turn around and go back to the class. This works really well when we're on our way to lunch because they don't want to lose lunch time. Also, at every corner, the class has to stop and if there's any noise, we'll stop and stand there until they're done.

9. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

I have used the marble trick, complimented other classes quiet lines by giving their teacher a treat for the entire class, tried the walking at recess silently frontwards and backwards, writing for 15 minutes during recess an essay about why they should be quiet, or 15 x I will not talk in the hall, Tried the finger o n the lip hand on the hip too. Ya just have to figure out what works for you.
    How about the quiet game when standing in line? that way the students are monitoring themselves, and get a reward. I also assign a hall monitor for the front of the line and I walk the back, any names taken are automatically given 5 minutes off recess doing calestenics for me. ( that way they're getting SOME kind of exercise, instead of storing up pent up energy for trouble later.) The monitor can choose 1 boy and 1 girl that will get a piece of candy or somekind of treat when we return to the classroom, or if I happen to be carrying my handy dandy tool apron, I always stash ziplock bags of 25 pieces of some kind of small candy to give out, or erasers, stickers, etc..
    If the school has a reward system in place for good citizenship, I play it up big time whenever I substitute in that particular school, otherwise I use what the teacher has established, or if all else fails I bring back up for the time I am in that particular classroom.

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2006

Have you ever tried saying...... "Those of you who don't wont recess please feel free to talk in the hall."

Major Hunt :)

11. Jame

Jame Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

Something that has worked well for me is an idea I got from here last year! :) You put each child's name or number on a counting chip and place the chips in a small jar. Before the students leave their desks to line up, draw two chips. Do not reveal the numbers drawn. Tell the students that you will be watching their hall behavior. If the two drawn do a good job in the hall, they are allowed to put two colorful, round stickers on a cut out gumball jar. You do not reveal the names drawn if the students did not behave. Sometimes, if the whole class does an exceptionally good job, the two students who numbers were drawn get to put up double stickers.

When the gumball jar is full, the whole class earns a reward. At the beginning of the year, the students and I brainstorm ideas for class rewards. These ideas are written on slips of paper and put into a reward jar. When they earn a reward, we draw one out.

It really has worked well! Wish I remembered whose idea it intially was, so that I could give them both the credit they deserve and my thanks for a great idea! :angel:

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 17, 2006

Try brainstorming solutions to the problem with the kids. They know they're being disruptive. They know they shouldn't talk in line in the hall. Be honest and tell them you expect in 4th grade that they can do better, and ask them what it would take for them to step up to the expectation. Some say you have to do whatever works for you, but I say you'll be more successful doing whatever works for them.

13. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Dec 17, 2006

Jame, that is such a sweet idea. I think I'll try it. The beauty of it is that it can be used for other purposes as well! Thanks for sharing!

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 19, 2006

I have a hard time rewarding them for something they should do anyways. I take the approach of angelhead...my fifth graders had to practice walking the hall one time during recess and that is all it took!!!

15. costinl

costinl New Member

Dec 27, 2006

I offer $5.00 to their class checkbooks if they are completely quiet from one place to the next. Also we have contests against the other classes to see who can be the quietest. If my class wins I give them $25 for their checkbooks.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2006

I prentend to throw mine a piece of candy after we put on our marshmallow shoes.

I also told them after security cameras were installed that the principal was watching them...one time I ducked into the office & asked the principal to come out & she did & told them how she watched them quietly go down the hall!!! They loved it!!!

17. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Dec 28, 2006

BY 4th grade, so many of the mwould like to stay inside for recess that "not letting them go outside" would be what they were hoping for.
    I too believe in "If you can't walk the hallways quietly, we'll practice over and over untill they do it properly.

Kids are expected to behave nicely. I don't give them rewards for that, but once in a while, an extra "free choice period" or surprise popcorn party just because they are such nice kids, is fun for all
    :)

18. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

With my first graders, we say "Finger on lip! Hand on Hip!" It's a fun way to walk and even the boys enjoy swinging their hips while they walk. :rolleyes:

19. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Dec 30, 2006

Walk Fast ... REALLY fast. By the time my 5th Graders get up the steps and back to our classroom they are gasping for air. It's great for your cardio too!!

20. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Dec 31, 2006

The little ones in my school to the "Hip and Lip" too and it works for them but the older they get the less it works it seems. I have my kids do three things before they leave the room: zip the lips, hands together in front of you (they clasp their hands in front of them or they may put them in their pockets), and marshmallow feet. These are my rules and if they don't follow them, they get the option of walking through the hallway with one hand clasped over their mouth and the other on top of their head. They feel kind of silly and it usually only happens once! I also give out tickets (but we have a Friday store where they can use their tickets as money to buy things).

21. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Dec 31, 2006

I do something similar with my 1st/2nd multi-age class. Each student has a number and I wrote the numbers on old Unifix cubes. I put the cubes in a basket and each time before we leave, I pull one out & watch that student carefully. When we come back, I announce whether or not the "secret student" earned a reward and tell them what the number is (usually I go through and say if it's odd or even, greater than/less than, etc.). The student then gets to pick something from our Prize Box. Recently, I put in some blank cubes as well, so it may be that nobody earns a prize, but they never know!