being professional vs being honest

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Aug 12, 2010.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Aug 12, 2010

I really need some help. I'm a newer teacher and the hardest adjustment I've had to make as a teacher is not being able to say anything that's the truth that someone might be offended by. I've really worked on this and I think I've gotten better about it. However, last week someone I thought was confiding in me and asking me for suggestions for working with someone who tends to be very difficult for most people. I've worked with this "difficult" person and I was just telling my co teacher tips that I thought would help her. I didn't say anything that wasn't the truth and I truly thought I was only giving suggestions.
    One of my admin overheard us talking and thought I was bashing that person. She told me how unprofessional it was to have done what I did. I do feel that it was wrong for me to have said anything where someone else may have overheard instead of behind a closed door.
    The person that asked me for suggestions went to our admin and told her that I had really offended her with my suggestions and so on. My admin basically chewed me out for offending that person and causing her to go in to the school year hesitant. I now feel that maybe I should apologize for offending her but I don't know if I should or just let it go. I don't want to offend anyone and that was not what I was trying to do. Because of all of this my admin has decided to "punish" me by placing this difficult person with me. It's really not even that she's difficult but you just have to know how to work with. It makes me uneasy to go back to work next week with people thinking that I was being unprofessional when I was just trying to be helpful. Should I apologize or just forget about it? From now on if someone asks questions should I just tell them I can't talk about it or lie to them? I really don't want to deal with anything like this again. Thank you so much for your opinion. :(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

It seems to me that your error was NOT in offering an honest opinion; it was in doing it in a place where you could be overheard by the person you were discussing.

It's also entirely possible that, off the record, they felt that you hit the nail on the head as far as how to deal with the difficult person-- that you're not being punished, but that you have the right approach.

Either way, it sounds like you're now on the radar for this. From now on, my response would be "I hate talking about people. Let's discuss ___"