Being pregnant first year teaching..need advice!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AKGrant, Aug 29, 2008.

1. AKGrant

AKGrant Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I wanted to ask you all what your thoughts were on being pregnant your first year of teaching? My husband and I want to start a family soon, but we are debating whether or not subbing would be better instead of actually teaching while being pregnant. First of all if we start when we plan on starting (after the holidays), then I would be due during the first months of school and nobody would hire me. If we wait to start trying once I got hired, then the baby could be due before school even gets out. Either way, I'm not sure how thrilled I am about teaching and being pregnant while teaching. So I guess I'm posting because I'm curious about all of you teachers out there who are mommies and how that effected things in the classroom, getting hired again, and if you thinking subbing would be a better choice.

Any advice is appreciated!

3. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 30, 2008

My friend got pregnant in her 5th year of teaching & she teaches kinder! She got pregnant in September & was due in June. She wound up leaving the school in May and had the baby a week later. She didn't think it was that bad - meanwhile she had the little ones.

The teachers at my school always say the kids are so good to you when you are pregnant. Hold the door, ask if your OK - and these are High School kids.