Being Evaluated! Give me your best measurment lesson

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Matt633, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

:help:

I've come to the best place I know....I have a 3/4th combo and I am being evaluated by the P and I am supposed to be teaching a math lesson. I am starting a unit on customary measurement on Monday and I get observed on Tuesday. what would you do to impress?

Thanks in advance!

Can not do the measurement man (robot )guy!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2008

Take sentence strips and write units of measure on them (gallon, quart, cup, pint, fluid ounces, miles, yards, feet, inches, pounds, tons, ounces). Staple them to make a circle. This will be used as a "hat". Put one on each child's head WITH OUT them seeing what it says. They have to ask questions to figure out their unit of measure. For example, if they have a gallon, they could ask "Am I equal to 4 quarts?" Or, if Susie has quart on her head they can ask "Am I four of Susie?".

Since this will only be day 2 of measurement, it may be too difficult for them.

My other suggestion is to make a length scavenger hunt. "Find something that is 6 inches long/high." Or "how many inches tall is your desk?".

4. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

Nov 16, 2008

why can't you use gallon man? that is a cool activity!!

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

Mustang---the 4th grade class did it last year and did their whole unit around him! so it would be a repeat for most of the students...I have 16- 4th graders and 6-3rd graders.

Giraffe--thanks for the ideas...even though i may not use it for the eval I will use the sentence strip game after a few days. But I think I may use the scavenger hunt.

Keep the ideas coming.

U guys r the best!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2008

As an introduction and diagnostic assessment, give the students a few different objects and ask them to measure them in as many ways as possible.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2008

Not so original, but one thing I'd do is have them go on a measuring hunt around the classroom (like a scavenger hunt) and compare different units of measurement (e.g. did you measure the door in inches or feet? Your pinky? The width of a pencil?)

Don't know if that's too low for your level -- I do special ed.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2008

Spiraling off of that, maybe you could intro inch, foot, yard or whatever measurements that you need to teach... have the kids first estimate what items in the room might be close to each. Then- have them actually measure and tell whether they were close or not. ?

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2008

You could do a body measurement where the children first estimate different parts of their bodies measurement, then have them actually measure the part. They can work in pairs. Give them a chart of different parts to measure with a spot for the measurement and a spot for the estimate.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 16, 2008

I have a game I made up for estimating measurement. I have a bunch of picture cards and then I make up a estimated measurements to go with them. They put all the cards in a pile. You can either do them all face up, or have the measurement cards face up and the pictures face down. Draw a picture and then find a measurement to match it. For example, I had a picture of a road and made a 5 mi. card to match, or a matchstick and it had a 5 cm card to match. they just have to estimate and use best guesses. Their partner or group have to agree.

The other classic lesson is to do "How much is a foot" by reading the book and discussing standard measurement vs. non-standard measurement. Another idea is to measure their feet and then determine the area. You can use centimeter graph paper to do this. It's a Marilyn Burns lesson from either 3rd or 4th grade.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 16, 2008

Oh, with the body measurements, it's fun to see certain things- like the forearm and foot being similar lengths, and I think there are other standard body measurements that are pretty typical ratios.

12. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2008

Just as an aside, if you're into this stuff -- speaking of body part ratios, that is a great art connection for drawing people. Can also be connected to nonstandard measurements -- artists describe typical human proportions in terms such as "8 heads high"

13. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

Yeah! The eval from the P was Excellent! She wrote a glowing report even though I know in my head I missed something. As soon as she walked out the door I went back into normal mode and finished with a great lesson.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

I still hate evaluations, but can rest for a couple of months anyway.

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

Which lesson did you do? Tell us about it and we can use it later!

15. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

This is what I did:
    Reviewed vocab and inch, foot, yard, mile and practiced converting. Explained perimeter.
    Then center style:
    The kids had a booklet titled "Measurements at my school" One group of seven students measured one item in the class. They then sat together and converted each others measurements from inches into feet, yards etc.
    The other group measured lines of ribbon to practice measuring 1/4, 1/2, and 1/8 of an inch
    and the other group had measurement word problems that they had to figure out.

Then I finished the lesson reading "Measuring Penny" ...great book that is all about a teacher giving a measuring project and one little girls response to it. I of course am doing the project with my students.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and suggestions.