Being called to testify

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Jill420791, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Aug 29, 2006

Has anyone ever been called to testify in a child custody case? I was subopeaned today to go Friday which i am not happy about considering we only have been in school 4 weeks I dont know the child THAT WELL to say anything about who she would be better with, and i dont know the parents that well only to have seen them at back to school night and when they come to eat lunch with their child. ANy advice, i am a new teacher so i am clue less here thanks

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2006

Then you have to state your honest observations that's all. Just the facts. That's all that can be expected.

Sorry you have to have such a rough beginning of the year.

4. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Aug 29, 2006

Tell them what your gut says. If you honestly do not know let the court know that. You are a professional teacher, not a professional social worker or psychologist. I'm sure the court will take into account MANY people's opinions

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2006

Right, your testimony will be taken into account along with other testimony. A decision will not be based soley on your testimony. Which is why it is important to state what you have told us.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2006

I was called to testify once, but it was the year after I'd had the child in my class. I actually never got to the testify stage...the mom had asked me to come in and tell how involved she was, and how she volunteered, did homework, etc. Funny thing was, this was the worst absentee parent I'd ever had! This child had no one show up for his IEP meetings (not mom OR dad), no one show up for his "graduation ceremony," no one show up for parent-teacher conferences, and they had a live in nanny who cared for the kids even though mom didn't work. She was too busy "decorating the new house." So, I told the lawyer that I couldn't say that mom was involved in the child's education, but I also couldn't say that dad was. In the end, neither person really wanted me as a witness!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2006

I testified in a case where I knew the mother and the student very well. I had taught the student two years and worked with the mother. It was a sad situation and the mother was successful. You can only tell what you actually observe.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2006

A mother asked the teacher next door to me to write things down she observes(in her favor of course.) I was really mad about the teachers involvement because she was just trying to pacify this mother and a lot of what she said was her opinion. When the children came into my class, she tried to get me involved in her little custody scheme and I had nothing to do with it. Be honest and careful in your statements and tell them that you really don't know.

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 30, 2006

yes, but why havent you contacted your union rep. There is a legal representative that can read your deposition statement for you.
    By now, you should have been depositioned and a hardship could excuse you from the classroom. Your deposition could be used as testimony.

Although I was used in a air quality law suit that a student became ill from the 'school' so the family sued the county! I was the one who had to deal with their child being sent WELL to school and then, calling them once the child went into respiratory distress!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2006

mommaruthie is right about seeking advice from your union. Your administrators or board office may also have some good advice on how to approach this difficult situation.

11. jd019

jd019 Companion

Aug 30, 2006

This was just talked about at the new teacher meeting I went to on Monday. A lawyer that represents the district said if we were called upon to testify to call him/a lawyer ASAP. Apparently, when you are on the stand and being cross-examined they can bring up anything in your past, including your personal life. I do not see how that is important but be careful and good luck.

12. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Aug 30, 2006

Well i spoke to the principal and he called their lawyer so the teachers who are suppose to go we are all on a waiting list. If they really need us to go they will call the school and we have an hour to get there to the courthouse! I am so mad Friday was dress down day and my principal said i have to make sure i am all dressed in case i am called to go. I just know i will be called right when i am in the middle of something just my luck! UGH! oh well see what happens