Being an Art teacher

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by samc1180, May 20, 2010.

1. samc1180

samc1180 New Member

May 20, 2010

I've always wanted to be an art teacher, but never knew if I could make it through college with an art degree.
    How do you feel about being an art teacher?
    does anyone know of any programs out there that I could use to get certified to be an art teacher?
    Also, I'm not a very good illustrator/drawer but I love everything else that's hands on. How hard is it to get a degree to do this, if you don't draw well?

thanks

3. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 21, 2010

To be quite honest you have to take many classes in a variety of art areas, at my college there were a lot of drawing classes. If I recall correctly I had to do at least up until level 4, which was figure.

I love being an art teacher, it's the best job in the world. This may not be a popular belief but I do think that you have to have some kind of talent in art to be an art teacher. How else do you expect to model for the students if you can't do it yourself. With that said, practice practice practice. The more you experiment with a certain art method the better you become.

I'm an elementary art teacher and many, if not all of my lessons include some type of drawing or sketching, so clearly I feel as if it's a very important skill to learn in art.

4. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

I'll must say that I think drawing is the foundation of all art.

Beyond that, I've seen a wide range of abilities and interests expressed throughout the field.

Yet I have to recommend against going into teaching unless you are absolutely positive it's what you want to do with the rest of your life. It's like deciding to be a priest or nun, not something you want to do because you might like it, but because you feel a calling you have to answer. Do not going into teaching unless you know with all your heart it's what you want. It's not a job--it's a lifestyle.