Being an adult stinks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TXforever, Jan 9, 2016.

1. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Jan 9, 2016

This is my second year at this school. There are some things going on that I do not agree with. Nothing illegal, just making me question the integrity and morals of my admin. I won't go into detail here. I'm paranoid someone will recognize the situation. I would like to go to another district, but there are no guarantees it'd be different somewhere else. I need to be responsible and hang on here because I'm almost tenured. Being responsible stinks.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 9, 2016

If things are that bad, don't let being almost tenured stop you from looking for greener pastures. You've lasted long enough to get tenure once, you can do it again someplace else.

bella84 likes this.
  4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 9, 2016

As long as you can't get in trouble for your admin's choices, I would stick it out. Do what you can to bring a positive change to your school community. If you don't like something, see if there's a way that you can help it to change. It may mean more work for you, but at least your school might improve.The nice thing about teaching is that every town needs a teacher - if you don't happen to like this school, you do have options if you allow yourself to be open for a change.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 10, 2016

Seeing admin. act immorally in a school setting is appalling. I have seen at least 3 principals commit crimes and only one ended up getting in trouble for it (although I think one lost a lot of sleep during her investigation).

With the immorality out there, it is more important than ever to be the teacher who does the right thing for the students. In your classroom, you get to make lots of choices of how you talk to students, how you treat students, and decisions you make. You will get that "fight or flight" feeling when you see immoral behavior. Too many run away from it. Stand up for what is right and be that teacher that makes a difference. Be wise though to realize while you have lots of control in your own world, you have little control with admin.
    If all teachers with strong morals ran away from teaching, our schools would have no good teachers left in them.

Backroads likes this.
  6. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Jan 10, 2016

I've thought about other districts, but there's no way for me to know if it'd be better somewhere else.

As far as changes go, I do what I can when I'm in my room with my kiddos. It's more of an immoral/unethical/lack of integrity behavior with other teachers and policies more so than students. I'm not saying students aren't sometimes affected, though.

Like I said, I'm not tenured, so I keep my head down and do what I can. I'm truly afraid for my job if I rock the boat. A job isn't an option for me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Jan 10, 2016

Is there anyone in the school you can talk to about this that isn't your admin? What do other teachers think? Sometimes talking it out with someone else helps make the situation a little better.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 11, 2016

You really have to choose your battles. If this is a battle that is big for you, then tackle it. Either by trying to change the system or by finding another district.

Some things you just have to accept. There will always be principals that change grades because they want the statistics to look good (drop out rates, moving the kids onto the next school, etc.) That won't change. If you move to a new school a new principal might move in two years later with the same practices as the one you have now.

There will always be teachers that don't pull their fair share. There will always be support staff that are treated better than faculty. There will always be subjects/grades that get more resources. Coaches that have more pull than actual teachers. Counselors that stack classes better for some than others. These things are universal and if you get to a school that doesn't have any, you're lucky. And luck changes quickly as soon as new players move into the school.

Good luck with your decision.

readingrules12 likes this.