Behvaior Mgmt for 2nd Grade

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by heyteacher, Jul 11, 2006.

1. heyteacher

heyteacher Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

Behavior Mgmt for 2nd Grade

I am going to be teaching 2nd grade in a lower income school this fall. I want to use a card system or the traffic lights or something, but I'm having a hard time. My school has limited parental support and sending a not home to them probably isn't scary or punishment for the kids. My principal wants me to do as much discipline in the classroom as possible. My question I guess is, what should my consequences be, and how many "chances" should they get? Oh, and our school doesn't have a consistent recess time, so that's not an option for me. Any help??

3. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 11, 2006

Try reading "Teaching with Love and Logic" or "Positive Discipline in the Classroom". I found them really helpful.

4. bernrice

bernrice Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

Have you read First Days of School by Harry Wong? Best thing is to have a LOT of structure and consistency. Have the kids "help" decide the rules and consequences so they have buy-in.

5. heyteacher

heyteacher Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

Thanks for the advice! I've read Harry Wong, and I learned so much. I will definetly find Love and Logic, I've heard about it, just never read it. And, I'll find Positive Discipline in the Classroom. I know what I've learned in the classroom, it's just applying it that's scary. Thanks so much!

6. margo412

margo412 New Member

Jul 31, 2006

I teach in a lower income school. The students are not that bad. You always have a few kids that are a handful, but if you have any classroom managment you will be fine. You may be surprised at the number of parents that actually do care, and are willing to support you once they know you are there to help thier children. You will be fine.:)

7. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I completely agree with thecottage. Jim Fay's Teaching with Love and Logic is an excellent book!

I use Love and Logic in my class of 1st and 2nd graders. I don't use a traffic light, card-pulling system, or anything like that for behavior management. It's great! Over 60% of our student enrollment is at or below the poverty level, so I work with some very needy children. Our classroom atmosphere is positive. I'm much calmer, and I no longer shout or become angry with students. They solve problems themselves instead of me solving them. Students are given lots of choices in the classroom, which they love, and there's a high level of respect for one another.

Another book you might like is Marvin Marshall's Discipline Without Stress, Punishment, or Rewards. Marshall's philosophy is very similar to Jim Fay's.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use with your 2nd graders! You will do fine! :)

~ Jaicie