Behind your back

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by MilitaryPara22, Feb 15, 2009.

1. MilitaryPara22

MilitaryPara22 Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

Often times, hitting, pushing, throwing things, ect. happens behind my back or when I don't see it and the students come up to me and expect me to do something about it. My question is: How do you handle situations in which you didn't actually see them???
    I usually tell the students, if I didn't hear it, I can't do anything about it. But for the bigger things such as hitting and pushing, how do you handle that? Should you punish another students for hitting if you didnt' actually see it?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 15, 2009

It's definitely not an easy situation when that happens. Normally I will speak to all of the students involved individually. If their stories don't match and it turns into a "he said, she said" sort of thing, there's not much I can do. By speaking with all of them, though, I think it makes the supposed "victim" feel like I've done something, but at the same time I avoid potentially punnishing someone who didn't do anything wrong.

Of course, if the complaining child has some sort of mark and/or lots of witnesses who have the same story, I would handle the situation differently.

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 15, 2009

I think punishing both by making them sit on a bench at recess may help. It is unfair but I think it discourges this. If it is an ongoing problem it might help to refer it to administration after documenting the incidents.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 15, 2009

I deal with this a lot. I just remind the ENTIRE class about the rule "Keep your hand, feet, and objects to yourself." I don't tell them that I can't do anything if I don't see it because then they will try their hardest to do things behind my back.

6. MilitaryPara22

MilitaryPara22 Rookie

Feb 19, 2009

These are all good suggestions and I can see how each situation can be handled differently. There are often reliable witnesses who will tell me what happened, but I am unsure as to whether I should make a decision based on that alone. I have done that once before and it created a rocky relationship between the violator and the witness for telling me.
    I have a difficult class, I'll just say that. Between throwing erasers and the common, "She just hit me, you see that???" I just don't know whether to get every little thing to stop the students from enganging in this behavior, or just ignore it to allow the students to handle their own problems.