Behaviour...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss T, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Miss T

Miss T Rookie

Nov 9, 2005

Hi, I was wondering, what do you think is the most frequent/common behaviour problem in your class that you have to deal with? :eek:

3. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 9, 2005

talking

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2005

talking is number one

but unfortunately, I'd say bullying/teasing is a close second....thats why I have an anti-bullying grant for this year....its not working yet though:-(

i teach 3rd

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 9, 2005

talking
    asking me for the answers--I'm a student teacher

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 9, 2005

talking - therefore, not listening

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2005

talking, off-task behaviour, bullying

8. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Nov 10, 2005

talking - therefore not listening and off task

9. Ghostofachance

Ghostofachance Rookie

Nov 10, 2005

lack of attention

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 10, 2005

I see a lot of bullying, unfortunately.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 10, 2005

my class is pretty good but a lot don't pay attention and subsquently do not do the activity correctly.

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2005

just being off-task; which results in bad grades and angry parents :(

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 10, 2005

making noises.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 10, 2005

preschool special ed - children apparently never being told "NO" before in their LIFE!!!!! Never been made to mind, either, it looks like. I guess some of the parents have this "oh poor little special child" syndrome and don't believe in making the mind and let them get away with everything. Thank goodness for the parents that do make them mind and have a clue.

I have a brother with Downs. My parents made him mind. I've seen others that are sooooooooooo stubborn because their parents don't make them lift a finger if they don't want to... that is wrong.

They may be special needs but one day mommy and daddy aren't going to be there to do everything for them and they are going to have to mind whoever becomes their guardian... some are in for a rude awakening. Some are woke up when they have to mind in my class if they want to have fun with everyone else.

Lori

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 10, 2005

I remember when my son was in Kindergarten. He had a classmate, Jason the blind boy. Jason's parents felt so sorry for their son being blind that they just let him do whatever he wanted. My son was just shocked that someone in his class would not follow the rules. (My son pretty much kept that attitude all the way through school.)

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2005

This doesn't happen so much in my class, but I see it a lot in the school overall- lack of respect and social skills. I don't know if its just society in general or the parents in my district or what...but the kids can be flat out rude. I really infuse my students with manners, so I don't have problems with social skills 99% of the time, but other teachers really do.

17. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 10, 2005

Talking and rudeness here, too. I've also been trying hard to instill manners...which I think should be taught at home. :rolleyes:

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2005

Oh I totally agree it should be taught at home!! I'm lucky that I do have some students who are taught it at home, and then the rest of them catch it because of how much I say please, thank you, and the like:) They just start saying it themselves...its great!

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 11, 2005

Oh yeah the rudeness drives me crazy. One student was extremely rude a couple weeks ago. I looked at him and said in my stern voice You Do Not Talk to me in that tone of voice. Well he hasn't spoken to me since. LOL. Of course I am not in his classroom more then a half hour and work with another student the whole time so he doesn't really have a chance to talk to me.

The students are also so rude to each other. It drives me crazy.
    But the parents that come in are rude to. So I guess it's hard to teach manners if you don't have any yourself.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 12, 2005

That's most of our 2nd grade class this year. I'm not saying all 300 2nd graders are this way, but out of my 25-12 are. It's not just disrespecting other students, but teachers as well. They will sit there and argue with you. When you've told them to go do something they won't. I'm getting very fed up this year. Last years class (our current 3rd graders) were so wonderful. I can't tell you how many fights on the playground I've broken up this year (and I only have duty once a week).

21. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 12, 2005

Being off task!
    The worst is when a student deliberately tries to distract/get attention from a classmate who IS on task!

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2005

Its a shame that kids are like this nowadays...I was in elementary school not all that long ago and things were soooo different. Its really crazy how fast society changes.

23. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 12, 2005

I know...I don't recall my elementary years having difficult classmates.

24. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 12, 2005

I subbed at for a high school science teacher on Thursday. Those students were so disrepectful, rude, and just nasty. I kept thinking that I would have never even thought to act that way when I was in high school. It was just shameful!!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 13, 2005

Glenda,
    I bet if you subbed in that class once a week, their behavior would change for the better.

26. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 13, 2005

If it didn't change for the better, they'd have to send me off to the funny farm.

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2005

Lori, I totally agree with you 100% with what you said above!!! I have seen that too many times and it's SOOOO aggrivating! Parents use it as a crutch to not have to be a parent.

For me, being with preschoolers, I would have to say whining and complaining. With older kids, I'd say lack of manners and respect. I can handle kids getting off task if I am at least respected as a teacher and adult.

28. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Nov 15, 2005

Interrupting!

29. sara_beth21

sara_beth21 Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

Talking!

30. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 15, 2005

My favorite phrase is, "Have you ever heard me speak that way? No? Then why should I hear you speaking that way?"

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 15, 2005

A few of my coworkers and I were having this discussion not too long ago saying how we would have never treated adults or each other that way because we were taught to respect adults and were afraid of being punnished by our parents. The counselor we work with laughed and said that it's so typical to think that way, but that things aren't different. Pretty obvious that she only deals with children one on one and only sees each child once a week!

32. sara_beth21

sara_beth21 Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

That is such a good idea! I will be adopting it! Thanks! :)

33. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

Talking and being disrespectful are the most common in my class. Some children are prone to arguing to get their way. It is so annoying when you have to keep saying no. It's worse when they say, "But my mom let's me":eek:

34. jcg

jcg Cohort

Nov 15, 2005

I had a child look at me and defy me right after I told the whole class what was frustrating me with their behavior! When I asked him why he did it . . . He said he did it on purpose to make me mad . . .! Second grade!

35. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Nov 15, 2005

I spent 10 years in an inner city school so I hear all of your frustration loud and clear! I've dealt with all of it, I think!
    Now that I've changed schools.....my biggest problem is talking, talking, talking and more talking! These are the yappiest bunch of kids I've ever seen! How on Earth can they have soooo much to talk about?! They see each other all day, every darn day! There's only 70 kids in the whole school so it's not like they don't have time to see their friends at recess or anything! Aghhhhh!
    Thanks for listening!

36. jcg

jcg Cohort

Nov 15, 2005

That is my biggest problem too! They never are quiet! I' m starting to think that it is a problem with me.

37. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

JCG, I was feeling the same way. Being a new teacher, I thought I was always doing something wrong. But then I heard the teacher next door complaining about her kids and I felt reassured. Some of her students just don't listen to her and she's been teaching for over 15 years!!