Behaviour Management of the parents

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Syele, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Syele

Syele Companion

Sep 19, 2005

I feel guilty for complaining because I rarely have to deal with parents. Most of the time they go directly to my boss. But right now I need to vent and maybe some of you can tell me how you deal with parents everyday, I could use some strategies. Or maybe you can vent and tell me how easy I have it.... :sorry:

Once in awhile I get enough of it to make me rethink my dream of becoming a full -time Teacher with my own all day class. Registration night for our special classes is one of those times. The parents are WAY more unruly than the children! They push and shove in line, they cuss people out in front of kids, they cross one another's names off the registration sheets, they demand that kindergarten students be let in 2nd grade and up classes and they add their kids names to already full classes!

Today a parent complained that her child had to THINK FOR HIMSELF in my class! The poor poor kindergartner received an open ended assignment, had to be creative, did it all successfully (He told me the assignment was fun!) and she is mad at me for making him THINK! Of all things! If only I had known in advance that children are no longer allowed to think in school. :rolleyes:

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2005

You cannot manage the behavior of parents. And it is not your job. Get used to it. You _may_ be able to manage the behavior of your students, if you are lucky.

I guess you could politely request that they not use inappropriate language around children. You could even insist. How good are you at handling people? As far as unreasonable demands, I suggest you just stand your ground and don't get ruffled. If they continue to insist, refer them to your boss. That is what she is for.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 19, 2005

That mom sounds like some of the people on the test taking forums - "What do you mean, I can't find out exactly what questions are going to be on the test and exactly how to answer them?" The kid is at risk of learning from her not to trust his own ability to reason - though another possible outcome is that he will continue to think but will choose not to let Mom catch him at it.

5. Syele

Syele Companion

Sep 19, 2005

I know I can't really control the parents, I mostly needed to vent and I was thinking today "What in the WORLD do you say to a parent that is mad that their child was thinking?!?" I just commented on what a great job he did on his project. I had two ideas to choose from, that or stand there and look at her like she had 14 heads.

6. Syele

Syele Companion

Sep 19, 2005

TeacherGroupie He is a smart little boy, I hope he opts for the second choice of those two.

Haha I haven't been to the test taking forums, and maybe I shouldn't -- it might get me all riled up! You know those are probably the parents that do the all the kids homework and science fair projects for them too.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2005

Well, it certainly sounds like he's got the right teacher. Don't be too surprised if he starts being a little reluctant to take stuff home.

Little kids do indeed need to be little kids - but aren't you sometimes just tickled down to your toes by what they can think and do?

8. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Sep 20, 2005

Parents are always hard to deal with. It is hard for many to accept that their child may act innapropriate, or need services. Our kinderschool program is accedemic and many parents complain. All we can do is explain the program and assure them we meet their developmental needs as well.

I have had many difficult parents who have gotten in my face,called all the teachers "booklers" and threatened to pull their child. Once they see that you are truely advocating for their child and they see growth and development most become supportive. hang in there!